The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #76
rvrfoot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: san bernardino ca
Posts: 1,552
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Nice work.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #77
AZ66GMC
Desert Dweller
 
AZ66GMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 316
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

First I want to thank Steve for this great thread and info to get my thoughts on this going again. For some time I figured that I could come up with something similar to the Nu-Relic's setup and never got around to it...

Thanks for your hard work and sharing Steve!

I had an old passenger side OEM regulator that had striped out splines on the crank shaft. Perfect for giving this a shot. I ordered the (4) motors from Amazon and had them in 2 days.

I followed your build but made a slight modification. I extended the regulator base so that I can mount the motor bracket to the regulator using the 3 intended mounting points. I had some scrap 16 gauge sheet metal which is the same thickness as the OEM regulator base.

I used your method of mounting the motor bracket to the regulator with 2 small sms/nuts in the 2 holes from the original hand crank rivits so that I could then drill out the holes for the 3 bigger mounting tabs.

It now bolts up to the base and is very solid. I tested it and it works perfect! The only issue is the rusty tension spring squeaking and creaking going up and down...

It took about 4hrs total for the one side. Now I just need to decide if I should get new regulators or hope the old OEM units hold up...

Steve, how's the quality of the regulator that you purchased?

Thanks again!
Attached Images
     
AZ66GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #78
AZ66GMC
Desert Dweller
 
AZ66GMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 316
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Here are a few more pics
Attached Images
     
AZ66GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #79
Ken Cook
Active Member
 
Ken Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Ragley, La.
Posts: 117
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Awesome thread. Following.
Ken Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:03 AM   #80
Steve Van Gent
Registered User
 
Steve Van Gent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, Ca
Posts: 292
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ66GMC View Post
First I want to thank Steve for this great thread and info to get my thoughts on this going again. For some time I figured that I could come up with something similar to the Nu-Relic's setup and never got around to it...

Thanks for your hard work and sharing Steve!

I had an old passenger side OEM regulator that had striped out splines on the crank shaft. Perfect for giving this a shot. I ordered the (4) motors from Amazon and had them in 2 days.

I followed your build but made a slight modification. I extended the regulator base so that I can mount the motor bracket to the regulator using the 3 intended mounting points. I had some scrap 16 gauge sheet metal which is the same thickness as the OEM regulator base.

I used your method of mounting the motor bracket to the regulator with 2 small sms/nuts in the 2 holes from the original hand crank rivits so that I could then drill out the holes for the 3 bigger mounting tabs.

It now bolts up to the base and is very solid. I tested it and it works perfect! The only issue is the rusty tension spring squeaking and creaking going up and down...

It took about 4hrs total for the one side. Now I just need to decide if I should get new regulators or hope the old OEM units hold up...

Steve, how's the quality of the regulator that you purchased?

Thanks again!
Hi Tony- great work! Love the fact you added material to bolt bracket to. I kept thinking that it must be in same plane as original mount, otherwise the teeth might not have enough overlap to stay engaged (slip if right on edge of tooth). You will need to let me know if this ever becomes issue.

The new regulator appears good quality, nice and tight action at scissor point. However, I will not know until i get few hours use on them.

FYI-the spring may not be needed at all, in fact, the Nu Relics has no spring with same motor. I probably will not put springs in after using for while, seems like not needed. I will keep you posted.
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #81
Steve Van Gent
Registered User
 
Steve Van Gent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, Ca
Posts: 292
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Tony,

Sorry, after closer look, it appears you metal attachment is horseshoe shaped and does not cause motor to sit lower. My bad. Great add on! Those with mig and die grinder should be able to easily make upgrade.
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #82
AZ66GMC
Desert Dweller
 
AZ66GMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 316
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Van Gent View Post
Tony,

Sorry, after closer look, it appears you metal attachment is horseshoe shaped and does not cause motor to sit lower. My bad. Great add on! Those with mig and die grinder should be able to easily make upgrade.
Hi Steve, thatís correct, itís a horseshoe around the raised base. I should have taken a pic of the plate completely cut. I still have to do the other side so Iíll get some more pics.

Been working a lot of hours the past few weeks, so have not gotten any further with my window project. Hopefully this weekend!
AZ66GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #83
LDO
Registered User
 
LDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Senatobia, MS
Posts: 1,202
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

This is awesome. Gonna file it away until I am at that point on my project.
__________________
Once a Marine, always a Marine!
My (Her) 57 Build "Beverly"

My 66 Build "Betty"

My 85 C10 "Old Blue"
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:55 AM   #84
Steve Van Gent
Registered User
 
Steve Van Gent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, Ca
Posts: 292
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

UPDATED VIDEO;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9_7...ature=youtu.be

this shows my install of the retro window crank handle from Auto Loc; ALso my complaining of the PRICE!!! $100 per side; and the thing BINDS when engaged! What a low end piece of garbage, IMHO.

Speaking of low end pieces of garbage, you will see the other set of retro crank switches I bought, from Dannys Rod Shop on EBAY. these have a knurled shaft that does not even close fit my handles. My guess, fits 67-72. My loss, $139 gone.

In any case, the pass window is done on inside, now I need to run wires to ignition fused and GND.

BTW, does anyone know a good pass through that I can shuttle wires from cab to door? Something nice? I saw a spring with great mount for door and cab, wires ran through spring, I am sorry I did not buy when saw....

further, I have video coming where I do actual modification of regulator and mount motor to it for prep for drivers door, coming in next day or so.

Lastly, I may give you a sneak peak at a new product I am testing out, is a solid state module that will add one-touch express window up/down and power door lock control, also has receiver and transmitter fob for remote entry.
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #85
TimE
Hey Y'all!!
 
TimE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Minette, Alabama
Posts: 1,757
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

This is great Steve! I'll be putting this on my "to do" list for an old beater I'm throwing together.
__________________
Just hopin' I live long enough to finish something!!!
TimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #86
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60
 
Clyde65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 7,572
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Well done!!
__________________
Clyde65

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684



support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:47 PM   #87
Steve Van Gent
Registered User
 
Steve Van Gent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, Ca
Posts: 292
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

OK here is last item I promised; Parts 1, 2 and 3 of modifying the manual regulator and mounting motor . Is terrible video, shot in wrong light and angle, and I am told by wife I say the word "SO," far too much.

Maybe you can make it drinking game-every time I say word "SO" take a shot (tequila, my choice would be Don Julio Reposado), will not seem nearly as bad by end.

I may add one more video, I am adding a solid state relay controller that will add express up and down to window, maybe power door locks if I can find elegant way to add power locks, wireless remote...


Part 1: https://youtu.be/9sSZrrlKBo4

Part 2: https://youtu.be/_YLSsTWEdvg

Part 3: https://youtu.be/sZAsww1DURs


Enjoy!
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #88
The Rocknrod
Too Cool For School
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 2,684
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Van Gent View Post
...
BTW, does anyone know a good pass through that I can shuttle wires from cab to door? Something nice? I saw a spring with great mount for door and cab, wires ran through spring, I am sorry I did not buy when saw....
...
I'd like to know also. The A-Pillar is like two layers right?
Oh thank god for 64Shortbox (again) -
"...Oh, you will need to remove the front fenders to drill your holes in the door opening & door for your wiring conduits. The front bumper can stay on the truck but the cowl panels will need to come off. Be sure to tape up the bumper, door & fender edges, so you don't scratch them when removing & installing your fenders. Use SEVERAL layers of tape where you will be drilling on the door edge in case the drill chuck hits it. Better safe than sorry. As you can see I had a little blood loss - I healed your truck won't! I drilled BIG holes for my conduits because I used a Factory Power Window & Door Lock wiring harness from an 76 C-10 and needed to pass the factory wiring connectors through them. ..."
Link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...74&postcount=9



Last edited by The Rocknrod; 03-06-2018 at 12:30 AM.
The Rocknrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #89
The Rocknrod
Too Cool For School
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 2,684
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

What about the wires going inside the cab?
Attached Images
 
The Rocknrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #90
Steve Van Gent
Registered User
 
Steve Van Gent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, Ca
Posts: 292
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

These holes are Gynormous! in reality, only need 2 wires, 12V and GND. I plan on making hole only big enough for 2 wires and grommet;


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I'd like to know also. The A-Pillar is like two layers right?
Oh thank god for 64Shortbox (again) -
"...Oh, you will need to remove the front fenders to drill your holes in the door opening & door for your wiring conduits. The front bumper can stay on the truck but the cowl panels will need to come off. Be sure to tape up the bumper, door & fender edges, so you don't scratch them when removing & installing your fenders. Use SEVERAL layers of tape where you will be drilling on the door edge in case the drill chuck hits it. Better safe than sorry. As you can see I had a little blood loss - I healed your truck won't! I drilled BIG holes for my conduits because I used a Factory Power Window & Door Lock wiring harness from an 76 C-10 and needed to pass the factory wiring connectors through them. ..."
Link: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...74&postcount=9


Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #91
The Rocknrod
Too Cool For School
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 2,684
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Van Gent View Post
These holes are Gynormous! in reality, only need 2 wires, 12V and GND. I plan on making hole only big enough for 2 wires and grommet;
That is great Steve. So where exactly are you planning to drill these holes?
The Rocknrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #92
Steve Van Gent
Registered User
 
Steve Van Gent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, Ca
Posts: 292
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

I think you are on correct track; higher up on cab; This region should be single wall I hope, maybe easy drill. I will do some investigation this coming weekend;

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
What about the wires going inside the cab?
Steve Van Gent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:09 AM   #93
63longfleet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 89
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Has anyone tried this with knee knocker doors yet? Also can the "plate" that is needed off of the 73-87 style motor be sourced off of a square body at the salvage yard?
63longfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #94
The Rocknrod
Too Cool For School
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 2,684
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

A month latter, do we have any news on the wiring path you used yet?
The Rocknrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #95
seifer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Sydney
Posts: 12
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

My power window mod is here...
http://www.c10australia.com.au/forum...uot-Pedro-quot

Still working on the switch.
seifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 01:30 AM   #96
short n wide 72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 8
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

short n wide 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #97
short n wide 72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 8
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Motors did not come with the brackets pictured.
short n wide 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:16 PM   #98
kieth
Registered User
 
kieth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,924
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

My brother is making (with a stero lithograph printer) copies of the metal bracket required to adapt the 9 tooth power window unit. 10-12 of these will be available for free prototype testing. Only charge will be for postage....first come first served. Call or text 918-630-4665------email kieth.ruleco@hotmail.com
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:18 PM   #99
LDO
Registered User
 
LDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Senatobia, MS
Posts: 1,202
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Email sent.
__________________
Once a Marine, always a Marine!
My (Her) 57 Build "Beverly"

My 66 Build "Betty"

My 85 C10 "Old Blue"
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #100
The Rocknrod
Too Cool For School
 
The Rocknrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: China Spring, TX
Posts: 2,684
Re: Power Window Project DIY 64-66 TRUCK

Almost two months latter Any info on the wire run?
The Rocknrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com