The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
trev1

Serpentine cooling Issues..HELP

I am in need of some guidance...

I have an early model 350 block, bored .040 over, 193 heads,202grind cam,flat top pistons,edelbrock intake and edelbrock carb. I put a serpentine setup on it from a 97 350 out of a silverado. I replaced the water pump with a new reverse rotation water pump. Did not want to skimp on it. . Looking at the engine the water pump pulley is rotating counter clockwise. It's turning the proper direction. Cooling is a reg radiator, with pusher fan. I am having overheating problems.

Here is what it is doing..
engine starts and idles fine, but shortly the engine temp guage climbs steadily to 200 plus. The thermostat opens and the temp climbs to 220 plus. The cooling fans come on around 195. The engine overheats.

I did notice that the bottom rad hose is hotter than the top rad hose. The heater hoses are both hot, the heater blows hot. I know I have a circ problem. But can't find it. The rad is not plugged it flows freely.

Here are some pics of what I have. Any help will be appreciated. Tomorrow I am going to pull the thermostat and hook everythingup, and see if its flowing backwards. Don't think it is but anything is possible.
Attached Images

trev1 is offline   Reply With Quote