The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
biohazardbill

Steering column question.

Looking at new columns, I see different sizes. What exactly is the dimension measuring? Any idea what stock replacement measurement would be?
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
64shortbox

Re: Steering column question.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here's a few pictures. This particular column is out of our 64 C-10. The first picture is where I started all my measurements from. The 2nd picture is the neutral safety switch location which is easily relocated. The 3rd picture is the column shift lever location. The 4th is is the end of the column and where the splined end of the steering shaft would be. My column was modified by the previous owner when he installed a power steering box froma 73 C-10. The 5th picture is the overall length of the column WITH Power Steering froma 73 C-10.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
biohazardbill

So judging by picture 4... a replacement column would probably measure around 33 inches...?
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
64shortbox

Smile Re: Steering column question.

Yes,
32" or longer would work. When I installed my van tilt I actually slid my column down a couple of inches towards the dashboard to gain a little more room between the steering wheel and seat. My arms also seem to be in a little more comfortable position while driving. A few inches longer than 33" wouldn't hurt either as you will also have to pick up an intermediate shaft to go between the steering box & steering column. I picked mine up at the local self serve wrecking yard for $12.00 My intermediate shaft was about 16" long end to end. I read where most people set it on the ground and wack it with a Big Hammer to break the plastic pins so the shaft will collaps & extend easily. I used our 100 ton press at my work to collaps mine & I worked it back & forth until it collapsed and extended easily. That made it easy to install it in the truck once my collumn was in.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
rvrfoot

If your a big guy you will want a smaller column. I am 6 foot 1 and need leg room. The stock steering wheel is big too. I got a smaller one.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote