The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Did I hurt my head?

71 402 - I'm green to all of this Engine was previously rebuilt, I'm just adding new gaskets and such

Three weeks ago I washed the heck out of my engine block. And two weeks ago I turned the engine upside down on a stand to work on the oil pan. I left the block upside down. That's a bad combination, don't do that

So today I pulled the spark plugs, was working on some stuff when I see water draining out of the #7 spark plug hole......YIKES. That "cylinder" is at the lowest point where the engine was positioned on the stand, upside down.

I wasn't going to pull the intake today, but I couldn't take it off fast enough. So I turned the engine upright and oil and "fluids" poured out of the bottom (no pan). Anyway, this is what I found (pictured). Only thing I can think of is water came through the intake somehow. Could have been the crappy valve cover gaskets, I pulled the covers as well.

You figure I jacked this up? Near as I can tell I vacuumed it dry. I'm thinking about taking a pipe brush to the port, for lack of a better term, vacuum as I go and then hit it with fogger. Might be better to skip the brush, I don't really know.

Ideas, input appreciated.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-28-2018 at 01:23 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Did I hurt my head?

The openings on the end of the head are water passages. If the little bit of rust in there is what you're concerned about, you don't need to be.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
BCOWANWHEELS

This engine has been run on pure water. Bet you got a crack somewhere
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

It's just an ugly water port. How long has it been sitting? It will look better once you run it on coolant.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:15 AM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Do I dare read the responses I'm not happy. I don't know much about engines, can't say what's going on here. Okay, I'll read

Water port huh? I can live with that, but why would water drain into what I believe is a cylinder? All I know is water poured out the lowest spark plug hole after I removed the plug. The engine was upside down. It appeared as water anyway, no scent. Only thing I've "poured" into the cylinders was a good shot of fogger.

I suspect the water came from washing the block, there was a leak somewhere and it's been upside down over the last three weeks. But I don't begin to know why water would come through a spark plug hole. The plugs were installed when I washed it, maybe the one was seated right, but I don't see why. I don't know man, might be a crack. For what it's worth, the water system included antifreeze, this looked like water.

It's been sitting two years. Will be another two before I drive this thing. I can say the engine was TIGHT when I put it to sleep, without water coming though a spark plug hole.

Other than that, are the front and rear ports on each head for water (i.e., four total)?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-28-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:39 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

If water got in the intake and the intake valve was open is a way.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
If water got in the intake and the intake valve was open is a way.
I suspect that was it. Not planning on removing head gaskets. Thanks Tim.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:41 PM   #8
truckster

You want to get some oil in the cylinders and rotate the crank to make sure you don't have a ring rust to the cylinder wall. Two or three turns should do it.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
You want to get some oil in the cylinders and rotate the crank to make sure you don't have a ring rust to the cylinder wall. Two or three turns should do it.
Squirt some regular oil or fogger into the spark plug holes I take it?

Any reason to spin the cam as well? The timing chain isn't on.

On a side, I see there are four water ports to answer the question above. Seems the other ports are for "combustion".

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-29-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
demian5

You need to have an experienced person come over, understand your concern, and give you advice.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
Grumpy old man

All a big tado about nothing , fog the cylinders with DW40 finish cleaning it up and install the timing chain . intake and continue on . it's not going to be apart for so long you need to worry . Don't use any type "lube" in the water jacket . Your one of very few I've ever seen brush Por-15 on , it's way overkill but it's yours so do it it makes you feel good . tearing it down ,cleaning and reseal and paint is a weekend project . It's lasted 50 years already without such special attention . It's a Chevy V8 it will run caked in oil sludge and running on turpentine ...
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #12
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Squirt some regular oil or fogger into the spark plug holes I take it?

Any reason to spin the cam as well? The timing chain isn't on.

On a side, I see there are four water ports to answer the question above. Seems the other ports are for "combustion".[/SIZE]
Any type of oil will work - motor oil, machine oil, even WD-40. You just want to coat the rings and cylinder walls with a light coat of oil to disperse the water.

You have a water jacket port front and back. The four ports in the middle are intake ports - the fuel/air mixture flows through the carburetor and the intake manifold and into the cylinder through those ports. The exhaust flows out through the ports on the other side of the head.

Put the plugs back in it when you store it and cover the carburetor so water and debris don't get into the intake, and you should be fine to store it.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
All a big tado about nothing , fog the cylinders with DW40 finish cleaning it up and install the timing chain . intake and continue on . it's not going to be apart for so long you need to worry . Don't use any type "lube" in the water jacket . Your one of very few I've ever seen brush Por-15 on , it's way overkill but it's yours so do it it makes you feel good . tearing it down ,cleaning and reseal and paint is a weekend project . It's lasted 50 years already without such special attention . It's a Chevy V8 it will run caked in oil sludge and running on turpentine ...
Somehow I always feel better with a Grumpy opinion. Except the part about a weekend job. Don't tell anyone, but to do the pan over again I'd spray, and I'm not sure I'd use POR-15.

To anyone confused, it's just me. I thought water drained through the water port in the cylinder ha!. Didn't know it was a water port. Speak of water port, I cleaned up my intake today and noticed the rear water ports on the intake are sealed up. Don't know why, but it works.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-30-2018 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Spray