The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
Mrfingers

Dash Turn signals on when park/headlights on

We just installed a dakota digital complete cluster and everything is working except for the turn signal indicator lights.

The front parking lights and rear brake/turn lights are all LEDS and flash as they should and turn on and off as they should. However, the turn signal indicator in the cluster stays on constantly when turning.

Also, the strangest part is both indicator lights turn on solid when the headlight switch is pulled. When checking the voltage on the harness for both left and right wires there is 6 volts. Turn the headlight switch off and it goes to 0 volts. Not sure where this 6 volts is coming from.

We have tried many different flashers, no load flashers, solid state flashers with no change. However I'm not sure how the flasher would have anything to do with the "turn headlights on and turn indicators turn on" issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas.
Mrfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #2
damnyankee36

Re: Dash Turn signals on when park/headlights on

Are the indicator lights connected directly to the front turn signals or are they somehow controlled by the DD dash? What's the model # of the cluster?

Usually, when the parking light ground is bad that makes the T/S indicators illuminate when the parking are turned on. Instead of power going to the parking light ground, it goes through both filaments and travels back to the indicator and then finds its ground there.

The constant "ON" of the indicators has me stumped. If the indicators are connected to the front T/S's seems to me they they should blink too. That's why I asked if they are controlled by the cluster. (Don't why they would do that...)
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Mrfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
Are the indicator lights connected directly to the front turn signals or are they somehow controlled by the DD dash? What's the model # of the cluster?

Usually, when the parking light ground is bad that makes the T/S indicators illuminate when the parking are turned on. Instead of power going to the parking light ground, it goes through both filaments and travels back to the indicator and then finds its ground there.

The constant "ON" of the indicators has me stumped. If the indicators are connected to the front T/S's seems to me they they should blink too. That's why I asked if they are controlled by the cluster. (Don't why they would do that...)
Thanks for the reply damnyankee36. The indicators are directly connected to the front turn signals. The model# is VHX-67C-PU. I took out all the front and rear T/S's so there's nothing plugged into the T/S part of the harness (thinking bad ground too) other than these 2 indicator LEDs in the guage cluster and they still light up solid when head lights are on or the blinker is activated (6 volts shows up on the two wires). Been staring at the wiring diagram for days now and I'm completely stumped.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
damnyankee36

How exactly did you "take out all the front and rear T/S's? It sounds like you may have removed a ground path by doing that which won't help in the troubleshooting. Without a ground at the parking lights the indicators will light up when the parking lights are on.

I also can't come up with a scenario where you would get 6 volts at the indicators. I can only assume that there is a miswire of some sort.

Is it a factory harness?

Last edited by damnyankee36; 08-14-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
Mrfingers

Got this figured out. Turns out the owner wired in new LEDs assemblies for the front side signals on the fenders wrong. He wired the LED ground wire to the turn signal wire on harness and then tied the other two LED wires to the headlight/park light wire on the harness. So it had no proper ground. Lesson learned...don't assume the person before you did things correctly.

Thanks for the help damnyankee36.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
damnyankee36