The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
allytle

Shop/Rat/Art/Truck new thread

Since the whole Photobucket ransom fiasco I moved my pics over to a new host. This site won't let me edit past posts so I wanted to start a new build thread with pics since it's still early in my build.

I've had this 63 C20 for two years. This is what she looked like when I brought her home. Needless to say the wife was not impressed. hahaha!

She came with bed full of spare wheels and parts. Like, packed full. The 350 was just rebuilt and not even broke in plus there's a tranny in it. This is how she sits now. Needs wiring, hoses, lines, brakes and stuff but most everything is there.
I had ideas of putting it on bags and laying frame. That's why it sat for two years. I was never ready to do it. Well, I came to my senses and realized I just need to get the damn running and change things as so go. That made me change my concept from a low rider to a stink bug.

I own a tattoo shop in a small Arizona town. Because of the weather the car scene is huge here. Hot rods and rat rods galore. I'm an artist as well as an enthusiast so I want a truck to represent me and my shop. I have a rustic style of art I'm known for. The bed of nails below was a piece I made for a local charity auction. I've had thoughts of building another one on a trailer that I could haul around to events. But now I'm going to install it right on the truck. The painted door with my logo hangs outside my shop and the other pictures are interiors of the shop and a cabinet I made.

So I want to build a thin long flatbed, four by eight feet, that will ride between the tires and turning it into a bed of nails. I'll build a steel headboard to mount the cow skull and weld some big steel horns on it. I'm thinking of putting dually's with tall tires and painting my logo on the doors. This is the closest thing I've found to my idea. Longer bed of nails. Similar to the sculpture I made. I like the stink bug stance. Tall in the back in the weeds in front.

Of course I've got plenty of work to do to get her together and running first. She's in the garage now. First thing is sheet metal and wheels off. Then brakes and bearings. I'll go from there. I hope to keep some good momentum. There's a local show in February I hope to bring her to. Thanks for looking.
allytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
allytle

Re: Shop/Rat/Art/Truck new thread

We got the bed and the front clip off.

Here's she's back in garage on stands.

And after I removed the seat the cab is super clean inside.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:53 AM   #3
63inoz

ok I'm back on board
Old 08-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
YOLO
Custom Truck Lover!

great start. looking forward to seeing more progress.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:55 AM   #5
allytle

Scored this engine stand for $40 tonight. I'm pretty stoked. Now I can pull it. Then the cab. Hopefully both by the weekend.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:38 AM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Nice sturdy stand!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
allytle

I've been stalled out working until I found a donor truck for suspension. It's three hours away. I hope to make the trip tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:46 AM   #8
allytle

So I brought this thing home today. It's only got 62,000 miles on it. It's a 72 C30 motorhome chassis. I bought it for parts but I'm tempted to run it. It's got the 157" wheel base so the bed will be three feet longer. It might make my long flat bed concept even cooler. Would save me a bunch of money and work too. I dunno. Gotta think on it.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 PM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Things that will need to be changed when installing a '60-'66 body onto a '67-'72 frame. The frame horns, the radiator support mount brackets need to be moved. There is no crossmember to support the radiator. And the rear cab mount brackets are different. However on the rear cab mounts, you may be able to use them as they are if you use the '72 rubber mounts?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #10
allytle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Things that will need to be changed when installing a '60-'66 body onto a '67-'72 frame. The frame horns, the radiator support mount brackets need to be moved. There is no crossmember to support the radiator. And the rear cab mount brackets are different. However on the rear cab mounts, you may be able to use them as they are if you use the '72 rubber mounts?
Thank you so much. This helps me a bunch. Someone took the tranny crossmember so I'll rob it from the 63. The 72 frame is two inches higher. That's going to make the cab sit higher? It doesn't seem like it'll be a huge difference and I may even like it.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #11
allytle

So since I've decided I'm using the 72 frame I was able to get some work done today. I got the hubs and wheels back on the 63 so I can push her out of the garage. I got the engine out and into the frame of the 72. It's just laying there for now I needed somewhere to put it. I'll try to get the cab off sometime this week and get busy dialing the new frame in.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #12
RANDY COX

Congrats on your truck, looks like your getting some work done on it...that was really a steal for that 72 chassis, not sure if the bigger trucks had discs on it, anywho I saw you had a camper/topper on it, it looked new but had an old style look to it was it a slide in or just a topper....I'll be watching your build...
Old 08-20-2017, 10:15 PM   #13
allytle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDY COX View Post
Congrats on your truck, looks like your getting some work done on it...that was really a steal for that 72 chassis, not sure if the bigger trucks had discs on it, anywho I saw you had a camper/topper on it, it looked new but had an old style look to it was it a slide in or just a topper....I'll be watching your build...
This one came with front discs which is all I really need right now. I want to lower the front. The rear I may upgrade one day. The camper was just a topper but it did have some cabinets built into it. It was an early 70's. I had a 73 Ford I put it on because it looked better on it. I sold the Ford and the camper went with it.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:30 AM   #14
allytle

Change of plans AGAIN! hahaha! I'm keeping my 63 frame. I thought the 157" wheelbase on the 72 was going to be cool but I think it's going to be too much. I'll use the front suspension and the rear hubs. The rear end is too narrow. I think it looks cool but it won't fit my trailing arms. I bobbed the back end today to force me to commit. LOL

Old 08-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #15
allytle

I had a couple hours before work today so I started tearing into the 72. I was able to get better measurements with the wheels off and it looks like I'll be able to use the rear end. I thought it was too narrow for the trailing arms. I'll just need to relocate mounts so I'm happy about that.

Beautiful morning to be working.

The 72 has mounts on top. Look at all those blocks! Haha! It was a motorhome.

This is about where the new axles will sit. I've got about 3/4" on each side.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Have you checked to see what gears are in that '72 HO52 differential before you go to all the work of installing it under your '63? If the gears are higher than what is in your '63, you can just change the 3rd member.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:51 AM   #17
allytle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Have you checked to see what gears are in that '72 HO52 differential before you go to all the work of installing it under your '63? If the gears are higher than what is in your '63, you can just change the 3rd member.
Good looking out, thanks. I have to open them up to check them, right? Just put the better one back in. lol I assume the 63 is what I want.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:14 AM   #18
allytle

Not much done this week other than cleaning and organizing. I make a mess. Haha. I went through the wood pile and found enough pieces to make a cab dolly. It was nice to not have to spend money on it. I should hopefully be lifting the the cab off this weekend.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:11 PM   #19
allytle

I wasted some time this weekend trying to get the cab bolts off. I read how many people had trouble with them so I thought I'd save time and go right to cutting them off. My saw burned out. I borrowed a buddy's and the battery was shot. So it's still not done. Hahaha
So this morning I got the rear end off the 72. I unbolted everything from the front but the sway bar doesn't clear so I have to remove it. I ran out of time and had to get to work. I'll finish up in the morning so they can haul off the 72 frame for scrap. I need the room in my driveway.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:40 PM   #20
allytle

I got lucky today! Lucky I didn't hurt myself but also lucky it made my job easy! There was an emergency brake cable still attached to the crossmember. I cut it off with an angle grinder and the frame see-sawed up nice and easy like. Right up and out of my way. It made rolling the front end out so much easier.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #21
allytle

I got the steering column out today and the e-brake cable and fuel line. Finally finished cutting the cab bolts off. My saw took a dump, borrowed one and the battery took a dump, and got another battery. Took a few days between. I need a new saw. lol
I want to get this cab off but I still have to get the 72 frame hauled off so I can use the drive way. Hopefully this weekend.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #22
allytle

No work on the truck this holiday weekend. I did spend some time in the garage cleaning and organizing. I got an area set up for welding and realized I was out of gas. lol So no welding. I spent the afternoon cleaning up a grill I got a few months ago. It's a six foot long commercials broiler. The previous owner said he converted it from natural gas to propane but all he did was change the connection. So I've got some work to do drilling holes and changing the rest over. It's a fun project.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #23
mattfranklin

Looks like a fun project.
I'm looking forward to seeing the "stink bug" stance materialize.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #24
allytle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
Looks like a fun project.
I'm looking forward to seeing the "stink bug" stance materialize.
Me too!
Old 09-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #25
allytle

My tow truck buddy is down a truck and super slammed so he hasn't been able to come grab the 72 frame. It's holding me up because I need the driveway to roll my 63 out to get the cab off. So I decided to cut it up enough to fit in my pick up and I'll haul it to the recycler. Just busy work. Nothing exciting but it needs to be done. It also gave me a chance to work on my torch skills. I haven't touched one in 25 years. I was alright on a flat surface but on the side cuts I was sloppy. LOL That's why we practice right?!

I'll haul it off tomorrow. The side yard is looking a little junky. Haha!