The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
tray

chassis swap

I was ready to start my 50 s-10 frame swap when I found a 51 rolling frame in good condition now Not sure what to do. I like the s-10, 350 swaps but it would be really cool to stick with the old leaf spring frontend(to me anyway). What kind of problems is it to put a 350 in the 51 frame.
tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Thadious

Re: chassis swap

Don't think it would be too much of a problem to drop a 350 in a stock chassis. Should hold up fairly well... just a matter of welding in mounts for the engine and a crossmember for the trans.

Most decide on the S10 swap for the IFS and power steering. Something tells me that a 63 year old truck was never designed to do 80 mph down the interstate... so unless you're looking at a remainder drivetrain upgrade (something a little more modern) I think you'll be running that 350 pretty lightly.

Some of the reasons I opted for the swap was those I mentioned earlier, that, and the fact that you can get suspension parts at any Autoparts store across the country. That, and after all, you'll be wanting to upgrade the rear end anyways since the old torq tubes don't quite mesh up to a modern trans.

Not that I'm saying the S10 is the only way to go, but if you keep the old frame style, I think you'll find some sort of clip swap, mustang II or some other mods for the front and a new rear end is in your future anyways.

Just my two bits,
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray View Post
What kind of problems is it to put a 350 in the 51 frame.
You will find that V-8 engines don't just "drop into" AD frames. The exhaust and steering box want to occupy the same space.

My personal preference for an AD with a stock front end would be one of the later inline engines like a 230, 250, or 292.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
LEEVON

If your goal is a driveable truck with a 350 stick with the original frame, get the good frame and sbc mounts, use factory manifolds. S-10 swaps seem like alot of work, depending on what your goals are. If you have to have IFS, power disc brakes, etc. then go S-10.

I'm happy that I used an original frame and added all the stuff. For me it's a resale value thing. Not that you can't sell an S-10 frame'd truck or have any issues buying one but I think it narrows your truck's resale potential a bit. It's kind of a "what's your favorite color" question where everybody has a different experience.

Last edited by LEEVON; 08-10-2010 at 04:24 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
tray

Thanks guys you answered alot of questions I had. Im going to get the 51 frame and swap. A buddy of mine got my engine running in the 50 today,Man she sounds great! Think Im going with the old frame and old inline,seems little easier and quicker Im ready to drive it. Thanks again
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Atomsplitter

With a MII front end my SMC fits in nice and low. It has a tubular mount welded to the frame and stock mounts bolted to the block. With a 700r4 I didn't need to make a custom hump in the floor either. I still have 19" from the top of the heads to the bottom of the hood, just incase you want to mount a stealth blower or velocity stacks! My stock frame takes my motors 275hp easily but if you looking for more, I would box the frame.

If your considering costs of your buid the S10 is a good way to go Dollar $$ wise. A MII front end is about $2000 by the time it's installed and your complete S10 frame costs what? $200. With the other $1800 I would invest in a 4 link rear, tubular A arms, etc. Of course the S10 isn't exactly a bolt on swap but it's been done here enough and there's plenty of help for you.

Last edited by Atomsplitter; 08-11-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:52 AM   #7
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
...My personal preference for an AD with a stock front end would be one of the later inline engines like a... 292.
Do the 292! Stump pulling power and as this picture shows they can be made BEAUTIFUL. I have a 350 in my '46 but if it had come with a 216 or 235 I'd have kept the 235 or if it had needed rebuilding, I'd have shopped for a 292. 350's are nice, truly nice but a big inch straight six is SO right in these trucks. Especially when they're trimmed out so nicely. Post what you decide to do please. Best, Dan
Attached Images

Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
tray

Very cool engine Dan, I think Im going to stick with my 235 it sounds & runs great. Ive got plenty of other work to do to my truck before its road worthy.Going to swap all my stuff over to the 51 frame, (my 50 frame is junk) and drive!!!! I have been known to change my mind though. Thanks everybody for your help.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2010, 03:05 AM   #9
bobinbc

That's a great looking truck you have there, looks real solid. Really wish mine looked like that instead of the flat black that someone sprayed on it (inside too).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
enick72

truck looks solid and the paint looks like mine in a different color. I got mine running after it had been sitting for 33 years then did all the brake work and now I'm just driving it for a while to make up my mine what to do. I like original but to drive these trucks around in todays traffic is not ideal.
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
tray

Thanks bobinbc, my friends tell me to prime it or paint it but I like it the way it is. It is pretty solid the cab corners are toast figure Ill fix those leave it alone and drive it. I can always do something different later if I change my mind. This is what my interior looks like, going to clean it up alittle but dont really want to change the look of it alot.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by enick72 View Post
truck looks solid and the paint looks like mine in a different color. I got mine running after it had been sitting for 33 years then did all the brake work and now I'm just driving it for a while to make up my mine what to do. I like original but to drive these trucks around in todays traffic is not ideal.
Hey enick your not too far from me Im in villa rica. Its a great feeling when you finally get them fired back up. I would have drove mine that day if the front brakes werent stuck, and I know what you mean about the traffic its bad enough in my 64. I can imgine how it will be in the 50 but thats ok thats why they put blinkers in those fast new cars so they can go around. HAh!!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
enick72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray View Post
Hey enick your not too far from me Im in villa rica. Its a great feeling when you finally get them fired back up. I would have drove mine that day if the front brakes werent stuck, and I know what you mean about the traffic its bad enough in my 64. I can imgine how it will be in the 50 but thats ok thats why they put blinkers in those fast new cars so they can go around. HAh!!
Cool, we should meet up sometime, sounds like we have similar interest, I have a 65 also. When I got mine running I was so excited I thought I was going to blow a gasket. My brakes were shot as well so I did the next best thing, put it up on jack stands and ran it through the gears

Sorry for the small highjack Now back to the thread...............
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

If you are staying with the 235 I'd swap to the '51 frame. Not a lot of difference between the '50 and '51 and you already have engine, trans and body mounting all in place.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote