The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
vjjack04

Aftermarket steering column for IFS

I am in the process of gathering data for my impending switch from stock front suspension to IFS and crossmember. I will be removing my stock steering column and getting a Flaming River column. I will be getting the column without shifter but I need to understand what length I require. Anyone one with experience and info on this?
vjjack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Aftermarket steering column for IFS

29" - 33" will work. Depending on your exhasut setup. What you may want to try is get a 2x4 cut 33" tack a thin board on the top and tape it in place. then take some 3/4 wooden dowl and makeup the shaft. You can use duct tape as ujoints. this way you don't have to buy extra shaft. If you have more that one ujoint you need a heim joint for a shaft support.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
vjjack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
29" - 33" will work. Depending on your exhasut setup. What you may want to try is get a 2x4 cut 33" tack a thin board on the top and tape it in place. then take some 3/4 wooden dowl and makeup the shaft. You can use duct tape as ujoints. this way you don't have to buy extra shaft. If you have more that one ujoint you need a heim joint for a shaft support.
Thanks for the info. I will consider doing as you said. If I chose to use a factory steering column do you have any idea what a good donor would be?
vjjack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

If you can get hold of a factorty 67-72 chevy truck tilt it would work without a lot of work or if you wanted to keep the original steering wheel and column you can buy a lower bearing kit to adapt to a PS or rack steering. You can also try a tilt out of a 70's chevy van
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Scottshotrods

30 inch column for your truck will work the best.We sell Ididit columns that have a lifetime warranty and we also have the best prices on them as well.If anybody is
intrested e-mail me or p/m me.
justin@scottshotrods.com
justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
OrrieG

I don't know if its been mentioned lately but Borgson has a good write up and diagrams on figuring out steering shafts regardless of what you end up using. I used an 82 eldo column in my truck because an article in the late 80's said they were shorter than regular car and trucks, less to stick thru the firewall. Also comes with tilt and telescope for additional adjustment. I used astrovan/74 truck shaft combo for the shaft and joints.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
Number 9

I used a 32" but it is higher in the firewall then stock. Mine is flaming river.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
CAL 58 GMC

I used a 30"
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

I don't know the length but we cut the stock column off, left the shaft a bit long, used a bushing, spring, and collar along with 2 flats for a double D and went from there. I think we have $30 into it and from the front seat, you don't know it isn't stock steering.

I was in Tecumseh, MI last night and the Ididit truck was at the cruise. They make some nice stuff local to me and are great people to deal with from other project experience. I've never done a Flaming River.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
robnolimit

32" is ourmost common choice, use a 30" if you want to push the wheel a bit farther away. 2 1/2" column drop will help it clear your knees, also, move the column 'up' where it passes through the toe board. We have used Ididit columns for 25yrs, very happy. Flaming River U-joints, will stay rust free.
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote