The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #1
ryanmcb

Heater Problems

I have an 88 Chevy Suburban. I can't seem to get heat from the heater. I have replaced the T-stat with a 190 degree and I replaced the heater core in the truck. Temp gauge seems to come up to a normal area. My other trucks this year have plenty of heat with the same combo.

Any thoughts on what to check next?
ryanmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
krazy_texan

Re: Heater Problems

first and foremost did you burp the coolant system when you put the new heater core in?

are the hoses going to and coming from the heater core getting hot when the truck is at temp?

now if you have all that you may have a problem with the actual blend door in the heater box under the dash
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
ryanmcb

I had the local Chevy dealership do the heater core. I'll check the hoses to see if they are warm. I'm not sure how to burp it.
I'll also try to look at the door.

Thanks for some suggestions
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
krazy_texan

If the dealer installed it then I'm sure they burped it eliminating any air pockets in the system
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
Ski-me

Might just take the radiator cap off (from a cold), and start engine. Let it run a few minutes and see if you can get the air out. Also, check if the two hoses are warm going into the firewall.

Otherwise, I'd bring back to dealer if they installed it. It's a job to do so I'm sure it did cost you a bit. Have the dealer fix it all the way.

If the hoses are warm, there may be the plastic clip on the blending door that broke. Very common. The dealer may say that is extra work though so might be better to determine beforehand. Or you may have to spend even more money to them. It's like a $1 part.....
Attached Images

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
ryanmcb

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it very much. I checked the heater hoses and they are super hot when the truck is warmed up. It appears there is heat going to the cab. When I run the heater control back and forth I can hear the door opening and closing. I asked the chevy technician and he said that the clip was broken that opened and closed the door fully and he repaired it. I did notice the heater control worked better when I got it back. To be honest, the heater wasn't working well when I took it there. I did the core as a precaution but I obviously have another problem somewhere in the system.

I'm open to other ideas.

thanks!
Old 02-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #7
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

This may hurt more than help since you paid to get the heater core replaced, but apparently some of them are advertised to fit but don't. Check out this thread. This might not be your problem considering the dealership did the work, but something to be aware of. Did you ask the technician what he thought the problem might be?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
ryanmcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
This may hurt more than help since you paid to get the heater core replaced, but apparently some of them are advertised to fit but don't. Check out this thread. This might not be your problem considering the dealership did the work, but something to be aware of. Did you ask the technician what he thought the problem might be?
I'm going up there to talk with him. Figured I better just do that in person. I'll let you know what is said.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #9
ryanmcb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
I wish I would have seen the core that went in. I doubt he will remember what it looked like, but I'll take these pictures with me just in case. Hopefully they used a good brand, I assumed Delco still made them, but maybe that is wishful thinking.