The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
muffintop

My first build

Sup yall, I am Dalton and I am new here. So iv never rebuilt a truck. but there is a first for everything.

This is her, title says 1975 chevy, but i dont think it was an original k20 but a c20 that was junkyard overhauled to be a 4*4.

She's got a bit of a problem with the drive shaft in the rear. seems to vibrate a lot at highway speed. Before my dad passed he told me it should be a easy fix.

She's got a tired big block. Im considering putting a good running rebuilt small block in her. But it all comes down to how much cash i got

The cab has some floor rust and the interior needs some lovin.

Im thinking about swapping out a cab off another none running truck. its a 78' GMC diesel that was converted to gas but hasn't run in years. But Is MINT.

As far as questions go, will it be a easy swap for the cabs?

-how can i find out what kind of truck it really is? it has 8 lug, but how can i tell if she is a true 3/4 ton. what kind of transfer case do i have, and is it a good one?

-Are the motor mounts the same if i am to put a small block in her, or do i need new ones.

-What will i need to do to put a manuel tranny in her/ got any recommendations for parts?

When i have the cab and bed off. what should i be looking for "cracked frame/ warn out parts"

I would like to paint the Frame and give the cab a undercoat of some kind/ any suggestions?

I have a riversled and was hopping to use this truck to tow it around. should i get disk brakes? How can i tell if my shocks are shot/ need replacing.

This truck is going to be a semi everyday driver/ i work a lot, and fish more. investing time and some cash is worth it for me if i can have a dependable truck.

What is a rough price for rebuilding a bigblock/ or is it easier to buy a crate motor.

the fly wheel has some chipped teeth, i need to crawl under the truck everytime i want to start her to adjust the wheel so that the teeth hit the started in the right spot. How hard is it too change out a flywheel?

Thanks guys! Sorry for so many questions. Im just excited to work on a truck of my own for once.

-muffintop
muffintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
Big Rat

Re: My first build

Howdy Dalton and welcome to the fun. Nice truck. I really like it. I need a long bed 4x4 for my collection. As for your questions I can't answer all of them. I can say that doing your first rebuild on a square body is a great place to start. These trucks are great without a lot of nonsense.
The VIN holds a lot of info, and a lot of the guys on here can tell you what it means. That might help with some of the info you're looking for.
I personally don't think removing the cab is that bad, but, it really is going to depend on your mechanical ability. One tip I can give you is, the lighter you make the cab the easier it is to remove. Remove doors, seats, etc...
Another thing when looking over the frame is these trucks are somewhat prone to getting cracks around the power steering pump especially when larger tires have been mounted.
You might want to check your drive-line/rear-end u-joint to make sure it has a little angle to it. If it is too straight it can cause a vibration.
Changing a flywheel is as hard or easy as separating the engine from the trans. I don't think its too bad, especially if you are going to be swapping out cabs. I'd probably do those things all at once. You'll have a lot of access with the fenders and cab removed.
I hope I helped a little. I was kinda vague with some of the answers and didn't answer all of your questions but we all understand being excited about these trucks. That's why we are here.

'69 C20 - Grandpa's 'ol truck
'70 Nova - Birthday present from the wife. She's a KEEPER!
'79 C10 - High school hot rod, BUILD THREAD
Big Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
muffintop

Thanks Evan, the drive line i figured has bad bushings? but i got an order in for some replacements after i clean and paint the frame. Quick question, would you recommend i use Por 15 for a frame sealant? iv been reading up a lot on frame restoration and was wondering if that's the best option after cleaning and stripping.

Got the truck inside before Christmas.

Stripped the cab of the seat bench and interior.

I was fortunate enough to stop by a local race shop where a guy builds race car motors for our local drag strip and got some much needed info on the motor situation.

Then had my buddies yesterday help me take the bed and cab off.
but i think im going to use our loader next time.

Its been raining a lot recently so im thinking about pulling the frame outside and degreasing it on a warmer day.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
muffintop

Alright, so some updates. I pulled the bbc out. stripped most of the parts off the truck. bought some chassie saver and am hopping to get a air pump from some guy off craigslist soon. my truck fever is getting the better of me. everywhere i look.... people driving in their bowties. iv also bought a 72 blazer from a guy that i plan to dump most of my cash into as of now. meaning this truck is going to be a as cheap as possible truck. i got a free 14 bolt of Craigslist from some dude wearing eyeliner and fish nets. but in his defense drove a fork lift like a pro. the rear end was completely rebuild, but i have not had the time calculate the gearing.

bought a ord shackle flip.

Frame striped, and motor finally pulled

anyone know how much orignial 454 can be sold for?

off to the orvil, tranny guy for a rebuild.

planet green store score!! i work in the dark no more!

these gave me some ideas