The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2021, 10:13 PM   #51
slepysal

Re: T-5 swap time

Thanks for the tip! Mine is a long bed I have a buddy who might have one will check tomorrow

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:51 AM   #52
slepysal

No go on a used driveshaft. took mine to a local driveshaft shop will pick up tomorrow.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:11 AM   #53
slepysal

Couple of little things left !!! Got the old girl going felt good to drive her again! After this Im changing her name to "Jinxie"

Old 02-21-2021, 03:36 PM   #54
cwcarpenter98

Heck yeah, I'm glad to hear that you got it going again!

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:07 PM   #55
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Heck yeah, I'm glad to hear that you got it going again!
Thanks you and me both!!!

Old 02-21-2021, 11:26 PM   #56
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Nice! You've been through some trying times. Hopefully things will get better for you!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:09 PM   #57
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Nice! You've been through some trying times. Hopefully things will get better for you!
Thanks I appreciate that... gotta make lemonade out of lemons right?

Ok Guys so Let me bring you all up to speed:
After getting the T-5 in I started it up(with no driveshaft) and could not get it to go into reverse with grinding. I assumed the clutch disc had stuck to the pressure plate and thought I could unstick it when I installed the drive shaft. Noticed the carb accelerator pump leaking gas so replaced it.

I asked the driveshaft guy how he wanted me to measure it to get it shortened. He said to bottom out the front yoke pull it out an inch and measure it from the center to center of the yokes. I asked my neighbor to help me out and he holds the tape on the front yoke.. but he pushed the yoke in !!! I got my measurement at 66".

Drop off the driveshaft pick it up two days later. I go to install it and , yup, it's to long!!! Take another measurement and come up with it needing 1 inch more to be cut off. Take it back and they take care of it ( I was expecting to have to pay full pop but they gave be a break ( Thanks South Bay Driveline)

I get the driveline in with no issues( to my surprise) start it up the back wheels are spinning even with the clutch pushed in. Still grinding.
It would go into all 5 gears and reverse with the engine off, but not when it was on. I adjusted the clutch arm push rod and still nothing.

That's when I remember that Capt. Fab had an issue with the Willwood 3/4 clutch master cylinder and the stock 60-62 slave cylinder. I had not had any issues in 8 plus years with mine due to using a non stock set up with my old 3 speed. Another wait
I ordered a 1" bore clutch master cylinder, installed it started it and YES!!!
5 forward and 1 reverse!! Remove the jack stands and took her for a spin around the block huge smile on my face.
I am waiting on a new shifter bushing ,boot, shift knob and carpet kit and a little more adjusting,

You all have been a great source of engorgement and advice THANK YOU ALL !! My wife once asked me "So how long dose a clutch job take" I told her usually a 1/2 day. I didn't think it would take 7 months !! I will post some pics soon

I miss her and am sorry she isn't here to go for a ride with me. I can see her smile at me and ask " I thought you said it would take 1/2 a day"

Old 02-24-2021, 11:11 AM   #58
88Stanger

Sal,
I just read your entire post, first off i am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain and sorrow you had to go through. My prayers (little late maybe) are with you and your family as you work through this.
I am happy to hear that you have the truck up and running through all that you have had to endure, some would have stopped but you continued on and that is inspirational. I would like to say that I really think that she was there with you on the first run in the truck, in spirit she was and is with you. God Bless my friend.
John 3:16 - Saved me... God Bless
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:37 PM   #59
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
Sal,
I just read your entire post, first off i am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain and sorrow you had to go through. My prayers (little late maybe) are with you and your family as you work through this.
I am happy to hear that you have the truck up and running through all that you have had to endure, some would have stopped but you continued on and that is inspirational. I would like to say that I really think that she was there with you on the first run in the truck, in spirit she was and is with you. God Bless my friend.
Thanks This post made my day !!!!

Old 02-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #60
slepysal

here are some pics of the journey ;
Name:  IMG_1741.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  T5 trans.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  driveshaft.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  trans.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  52.9 KB

Last edited by slepysal; 02-24-2021 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:03 PM   #61
slepysal

You can see in the above pics how far back the T5 sits and where I had to cut for the shifter. The driveshaft was cut down to 65 inches. Here are a couple of pics of the shifter and where it will sit. Still waiting on a new shifter bushing and shifter boot and carpet kit. The bad whether is slowing shipping down. Hope all you down in Texas are doing ok.
Name:  shifter.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  shifter2.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  28.1 KB

Name:  shifter3.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  49.3 KB

Old 02-26-2021, 09:22 PM   #62
Lugnutz65

Slepysal,
There’s a vendor (or two) on eBay that sells an EXACT repop of an S10 tail housing WITH A CABLE SPEEDO CONNECTION. I mention it because it would enable you to move the shifter position forward. It would end up just like the one in my picture.
Attached Images

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #63
slepysal

Thanks for the tip ! I actually like where the shifter sits... for now

Old 02-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #64
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
Thanks for the tip ! I actually like where the shifter sits... for now
We are now C10 brothers. We each have a T5 with the exact same shifter handle!

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #65
slepysal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
We are now C10 brothers. We each have a T5 with the exact same shifter handle!
NICE!!!!

Old 03-06-2021, 12:37 AM   #66
Asshat

I just purchased a T5!
So, I am going to be following this thread - can't wait for it to arrive so I can get started. It should arrive with the shifter and yoke.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #67
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
I just purchased a T5!
So, I am going to be following this thread - can't wait for it to arrive so I can get started. It should arrive with the shifter and yoke.
I’m a self proclaimed T5 fanatic. Please tell us more about the T5 you bought.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #68
Asshat

Quote:
I’m a self proclaimed T5 fanatic. Please tell us more about the T5 you bought.
I bought it on eBay - it came out of a 1990 S10 pickup. It has an electronic speedo - I'm ok with that. The seller said it works fine. Glad I get the shifter and yoke. Not cheap, but there's no cheap way to get these old trucks rolling better.

I was debating on a rear end swap, again... or having a new ring and pinion installed... figured I would just bite the bullet and get the trans. I will see how it runs with the overdrive and decide if I still need to chnge the 4:10 to a 3:42. Should bolt right up... just need to install a support and get a driveshaft made. Probably a bunch of other little things too.
Attached Images

Last edited by Asshat; 03-06-2021 at 10:09 AM.
Asshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:08 AM   #69
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshat View Post
I bought it on eBay - it came out of a 1990 S10 pickup. It has an electronic speedo - I'm ok with that. The seller said it works fine. Glad I get the shifter and yoke. Not cheap, but there's no cheap way to get these old trucks rolling better.
That will bolt up to the cast iron bell with minimal modifications. Congrats. I have a T5 in both of my trucks and love the way they drive.
I don’t want to highjack this thread, but reach out to me anytime. I have a huge section of T5 advice on my website too.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:09 AM   #70
Asshat

Quote:
That will bolt up to the cast iron bell with minimal modifications. Congrats. I have a T5 in both of my trucks and love the way they drive.
I don’t want to highjack this thread, but reach out to me anytime. I have a huge section of T5 advice on my website too.
Awesome! Thanks!

I was debating on a rear end swap, again... or having a new ring and pinion installed... figured I would just bite the bullet and get the trans. I will see how it runs with the overdrive and decide if I still need to chnge the 4:10 to a 3:42. Should bolt right up... just need to install a support and get a driveshaft made. Probably a bunch of other little things too.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #71
Asshat

Quote:
Minimal modifiations - to just bolt it up? I heard that the input shaft may need to be shortend by an inch or so? Guess, I'll have to started reading all the threads.

Last edited by Asshat; 03-06-2021 at 10:18 AM.
Asshat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #72
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
Thanks I appreciate that... gotta make lemonade out of lemons right?

Ok Guys so Let me bring you all up to speed:
After getting the T-5 in I started it up(with no driveshaft) and could not get it to go into reverse with grinding. I assumed the clutch disc had stuck to the pressure plate and thought I could unstick it when I installed the drive shaft. Noticed the carb accelerator pump leaking gas so replaced it.

I asked the driveshaft guy how he wanted me to measure it to get it shortened. He said to bottom out the front yoke pull it out an inch and measure it from the center to center of the yokes. I asked my neighbor to help me out and he holds the tape on the front yoke.. but he pushed the yoke in !!! I got my measurement at 66".

Drop off the driveshaft pick it up two days later. I go to install it and , yup, it's to long!!! Take another measurement and come up with it needing 1 inch more to be cut off. Take it back and they take care of it ( I was expecting to have to pay full pop but they gave be a break ( Thanks South Bay Driveline)

I get the driveline in with no issues( to my surprise) start it up the back wheels are spinning even with the clutch pushed in. Still grinding.
It would go into all 5 gears and reverse with the engine off, but not when it was on. I adjusted the clutch arm push rod and still nothing.

That's when I remember that Capt. Fab had an issue with the Willwood 3/4 clutch master cylinder and the stock 60-62 slave cylinder. I had not had any issues in 8 plus years with mine due to using a non stock set up with my old 3 speed. Another wait
I ordered a 1" bore clutch master cylinder, installed it started it and YES!!!
5 forward and 1 reverse!! Remove the jack stands and took her for a spin around the block huge smile on my face.
I am waiting on a new shifter bushing ,boot, shift knob and carpet kit and a little more adjusting,

You all have been a great source of engorgement and advice THANK YOU ALL !! My wife once asked me "So how long dose a clutch job take" I told her usually a 1/2 day. I didn't think it would take 7 months !! I will post some pics soon

I miss her and am sorry she isn't here to go for a ride with me. I can see her smile at me and ask " I thought you said it would take 1/2 a day"
Glad to hear you got your truck back on the road!

That clutch issue with the master cylinder should not be an issue with a maual linkage, correct?
I have a 12" clutch in mine.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:56 PM   #73
slepysal

It is a fairly easy swap....I just had a run of bad luck
Here is a link that lugnutz made great info!
https://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebl...rear-axle.html
As an update It drives great and my speedo is only off by 3 mph!
A few more little details left but other then that its done!

Old 03-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #74
Asshat

I wonder if there’s people out there that still want the old 4 speeds...
Hoping I can sell it and the propeller shaft ebrake.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #75
PNW'65

Absolutely people will still buy the four speeds if you price them to move. I recently unloaded an SM 420 with bad bearings on flakeslist to a person building a backup for his rock crawler.
PNW'65 is offline   Reply With Quote