The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
truckster

Any Ford Gurus?

I know it's almost sacrilege, but I have a Ford problem I could use some help with. The vehicle is a 1997 Winnebago on a Ford chassis. It has a 460 and fuel injection.

We haven't used the vehicle for two years, so I decided to sell it. I had done all the maintenance before I parked it. Never had any problems or check engine lights. I sold it last week and when the buyer got about 2 miles away the check engine light came on. I had him bring it back so I could diagnose and fix it.

I pulled the codes and came up with 114 - air temperature sensor voltage higher or lower than expected, and 116 - engine coolant temperature higher or lower than expected. I cleared the codes and let it run up to normal operating temperature - no codes. The buyer came and picked it up, and the codes came back about 10 miles later. The coolant is full, the engine voltage and temperature read normal, and I'm running out of ideas.

I'd really like to get this albatross off my back, because I just started radiation treatment and I'm getting pretty tired. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David
Old 11-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #2
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: Any Ford Gurus?

No help here other than I joined this group a while back for some help I needed. Got the answers pretty quick and most were pretty friendly as well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
truckster

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
68Gold/white

I didn't think we were allowed to use the "F" word here...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

IIRC the IAT and ECT sensors share a common reference voltage. Is the buyer doing something that you're not? Sometimes a motorhome can have accessories wired in to circuits that they shouldn't be.

I'd clear the codes, hook up multimeter to the reference wire and let him drive while you watch it
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
truckster

Boy, do I feel silly. The codes weren't stored codes; I didn't let the engine warm up before running the engine-off tests.

After warming it up and running the engine-on test, I came up with EGR and AIR codes. I started hunting and found about half a dozen cracked vacuum lines. I replaced those and the buyers are now very happy.

Thanks for the help.