The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
01spirit750

TF- Auto to Manual tranny conversion

I have been driving my 57 for a few years and convinced myself I need to make some changes. I have always preferred manual transmissions.

I wanted to get the forums input on converting from a turbo 400 to a 5 speed TKO transmission.

I have had my truck completed for a few years but I am having issues with my turbo 400. The biggest issue is that I realize that I need overdrive.
The smaller issues is that my front pump seal to torque converter is leaking.

Here are my concerns:
1. I would need to setup the clutch pedal but I have a Chevelle clip. I was looking at using a hydraulic clutch setup from Speedway motors.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...unt,57508.html

2. I have a bench seat and there are 3 of us and would shifting be impossible with my daughter sitting in the middle?

What are your thoughts, what have others done?

THanks
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Coupeguy2001

Re: TF- Auto to Manual tranny conversion

That's going to be a lot of work.
If I were you, and my truck was a driver, I would convert it to a 700R4, and run with it.
The 3 of you, shifting, and bench all suggest that a better trans is in order, but not a stick.
In my 57, I used a kimbridge clip, but but used the modified master cylinder for a pedal support for the brake, and kept the factory clutch pedal, and went with a 87 corvette 4+3.
Nobody does that any more, but great for me, and adds a little high tech, Gee-whiz factor.

I think how your truck is already set up dictates that you need to keep it an auto with overdrive.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
1project2many

Howdy,

Do you already have a firewall mounted brake pedal?

I have a stock '57 4 speed and bench seat in my truck with. I used a shifter from a 90 Chevy truck 4 speed with it. This shifter is 3-4" shorter than the TF truck shifter. Shifting with a passenger in the center of the seat is a little bit of a pain but it's nowhere near impossible.

There are a number of options for getting the clutch in there if you're using firewall mounted components. You might be able to use an 89-91 truck system which is integrated from master cylinder to slave. You might also use a slave / throwout bearing combination inside the trans to eliminate all external linkage.

Attached Images

Last edited by 1project2many; 05-03-2017 at 01:48 PM.
1project2many is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
01spirit750

Thanks for the input. As I mentioned, I have always preferred manual transmissions but it does not make a lot of sense for my truck (being that there are always 3 of us).
I have the brake master cylinder mounted in the stock location. I did some research and I think I will get the original style clutch pedal setup and just hold onto it (maybe sometime in the future).

It makes more sense right now to go with an automatic with overdrive. I actually have a rebuilt 4l80E and computer ready to go.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
Hampshire

I have a 5 spd w/ hydraulic clutch in my 49. It's smooth and gives good access to the power band - with the 5th gear it's great at 70 plus on the highway. I have a 16" Hurst stick attached to a mid shift location. That puts the shift knob (in the 1-3-5 positions) comfortably next to my knee...however, all that being said, with three in the front seat, you are probably better off with a column mount late model automatic.
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
mr48chev

Practical says run and overdrive automatic and not bump the daughter every time you shift or get the wife to ride in the middle with the 5 speed and remember your high school days while shifting the 5 speed.

The other practical thing and probably the least hassle would be to fix the 400 and swap gears in the rear axle to something that is more road friendly .

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
01spirit750

Thanks for the input. There is thing I did not mention, I actually have a rebuilt 4l80e / standalone computer / torque converter - all ready to go.

Before I started the 4l80e install I was considering the manual transmission but like everyone has mentioned, it does not make sense.

Thanks again

Last edited by 01spirit750; 05-11-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
SKFengineer

We have a 4-spd in our '56. The reason we bought the truck was it had a manual transmission so there is no other way in my book. That being said I've given a ride to family members with three adults in the front seat and it's a little tight. If the person riding next to you doesn't mind a little contact with your hands during shifting it's fine but otherwise for some it might be a "no-go". Also the way our shifter is mounted in reverse the shifter hits my leg a little but in all the forward gears it's at a very good natural position.
SKFengineer is offline   Reply With Quote