The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
mbaker5479

Starter help

So yesterday my starter decided to stop working so I had to have my truck towed home. I was able to get a new starter and installed it last night, along with fixing the two little wires that attach to the starter. Fired up first try no issues! Went out this morning to go to work and turn the key and just a click, tried 5-6 times with the same result. Checked all the wires and everything was tight. Ran some errands come home try it again and fires right up, turned her off, waited 3 minutes and tried again, just a single click, tried again and was able to turn over. No idea whats going on, buddy of mine says a loose connection but they are all tight, I've checked twice now! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
mbaker5479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
NTIMID8R

Re: Starter help

Check for loose wires in the back of the key switch. Mine did that and it was wire broke in the switch and when I pulled the switch out to repair the wire, I found the back of the switch was burned like it shorted out.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "the present".

1971 Sierra Grande LWB, 350/TH350, Factory Air Lots, of future mods planned!!
NTIMID8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
mbaker5479

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTIMID8R View Post
Check for loose wires in the back of the key switch. Mine did that and it was wire broke in the switch and when I pulled the switch out to repair the wire, I found the back of the switch was burned like it shorted out.
Thanks for the advise! if it is that can you get them at local auto parts stores?

Mike
Old 10-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
NTIMID8R

I got my switch from advance auto parts.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why it's called "the present".

Old 10-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

The parts store can also supply a pigtail to replace the burnt wires.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
mbaker5479

I pulled the plastic holder off the back of the ignition switch and it was pretty loose. All the wires looked ok, I put it back on and pushed it pretty snugly into place and it still took two attempts to start. Im going to look at the wires I fixed last night to make sure they are ok (since I did it in the dark).
Old 10-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
cdowns

i'd take the batteery wires off the battery and clean the terminals really good to bright metal on metal contact often tight don't mean a thing if it is dirty tight
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
Clavo106

its sounds like you need a new battery its not handing the load... my sisters car had the same problem the other day. she told me it was the starter because my brother in law just replaced the battery and had it tested by people that like to sell new junk interstate batterys/ lucky for her im here brother lol. there's a bunch of test to tell but a quick way is to u frist crank over the truck look at the lights the should be bright and not dim out. stater should not turn slow. u can jump start it/ . the others involve hooking up multimeter and u can manual jump.start the starter..
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #9
mbaker5479

Disconnected the power wire on the battery, and the starter, cleaned both sides and made sure they were tight, same with the neutral. Then disconnected the two small wires on the starter, made sure the crimp job was correct, then put them back on making sure they were tight. Still takes a time or two to actually start. So now that I'm pretty damn positive it's the connection behind the ignition.... the ignition itself typically don't go bad do they?
Old 10-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
mbaker5479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavo106 View Post
its sounds like you need a new battery its not handing the load... my sisters car had the same problem the other day. she told me it was the starter because my brother in law just replaced the battery and had it tested by people that like to sell new junk interstate batterys/ lucky for her im here brother lol. there's a bunch of test to tell but a quick way is to u frist crank over the truck look at the lights the should be bright and not dim out. stater should not turn slow. u can jump start it/ . the others involve hooking up multimeter and u can manual jump.start the starter..

The battery is brand new, and has more cranking amps than what was called for.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
swamp rat

Did the problem exist before the new battery? if it did ok, if not take the battery back and have them load test it.

Headers?? are the wires getting hot? Headders are known for overheating the bendix on the starter.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
Krex

Your battery has a a drain in it. Pull the positive cable, and hook multi meter up, from post to pos + cable if it has a drain you will have volts on the meter..

then pull fuses one by one until drain is gone then fix where the drain is..
Krex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #13
mbaker5479

Thanks guys, I will grab the multimeter tomorrow and test it all. And I assume the wires get hot, but they are not on the headers (stock ram horns), and about as far away as I can get them.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:43 PM   #14
Sklptrljay

Sometimes the battery cables will corrode under the insulation and you won't even know it. You might try a new cable to the starter.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:40 AM   #15
Clavo106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavo106 View Post
my brother in law just replaced the battery and had it tested by people that like to sell NEW junk innerstate batterys..
like I said her battery was also brand new.not even a month old on battery label.. a quick way would be to jump start it. with another truck or car. but the multimeter should give u a good results. I very much doubt u connect something wrong u only have two wires going to the starter. big cable to solenoid is battery hot all time 12volts and small wire "S" term on solenoid is hot just when then ignition key engine cranking over and u should have no less then 9 volts.
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #16
NTIMID8R

I agree with Sklptrljay. You'll neve see the corrosion but it'll cause a lot of grief. When I first bought my truck, It was slow to start like the timing was off but it always cranked. Within a couple of months I began having issues. First was I went somewhere one day and cut the truck off, went in and did my business and when I got back in the truck to start it, wouldn't do a thing. That's a bad feeling!! After wiggling the key back and forth and up and down, it started. All was good....for about 2 weeks and it happened again. That's when I found a wire in the back of the key switch was broken from the terminal and the back of the switch was burned. Fixed the wire and replaced the switch and it would now crank but still had the slow start issue. I put a new (not reman) starter on and noticed the positive cable was bare (no insulation) for about an inch and a half from the terminal and had about half of the copper strands broken so a lot of amperage was being lost. Put a new cable on while I was doing the starter. Lesson learned, I probably did not need the starter, just a cable.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #17
mbaker5479

Charged the battery, replaced the positive and negative battery cables, and put a new ignition solenoid in.... still just a click when I turn the key. Maybe they gave me a bad starter?
Old 10-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #18
mbaker5479

Any tips on how to remove the old starter switch from where you put te key?

Last edited by mbaker5479; 10-10-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #19
NTIMID8R

Put the key in and turn it to accessory then stick a paperclip in the tiny hole and the whole key part comes out.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #20
mbaker5479

Ok got the key part out, now how do i remove the metal part from where the key goes?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #21
NTIMID8R

The big ring (bezel) unscrews. should have indentions in it for a "special" tool.
Large needle nose pliers with a jaw in 2 of the indentions will work. If you don't have something that will work, a screwdriver will do but may booger up the bezel. Be easy with it and you'll be fine.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:48 PM   #22
mbaker5479

Yup, got it off and was able to replace it.

So here is what happened today, I replaced the positive, and negative battery cables. Replaced the starter switch, and took the starter back to the auto parts store and exchanged it (even though it tested good). Got it all back together now it fires up first time, only issue now is I have to use a screwdriver to start/stop it because I'm having issues getting the key back into the starter.... But she runs and that's the main thing.

Thanks for all the help, the fast replies, and suggestions got me through this!
Mike
Old 10-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #23
NTIMID8R

You can get the key part of the switch at some parts places. Glad you got it going. Was your old switch burned on the back of it? Just curious. By the way, lots of good people on this forum, lots of knowledge. I am fairly new here but was a lurker for awhile before joining and learned a lot long before I bought my trucks!!...... Later

Old 10-11-2015, 03:03 AM   #24
mbaker5479

Yea the old switch was burnt up. I tried to clean it but then realized how old and worn it was there was no point to try and save $20.