The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
fatcity-g

Speedway Motors Cast manifold clearance

I put a 350 crate motor in my '69 panel, and the original exhaust manifolds have cracked. I know this is common, and I want to replace them, preferably with another cast manifold. I came across a new design Rams Head from Speedway Motors, but it appears these dump straight down, without the curve to the back like stock.

Anyone know about these, or have tried them? Will they fit a '69 Chevy without some bizarre tubular yoga? I would like to avoid headers, as my rig has virtually no insulation, and I don't need any extra heat.

Thanks in advance,

Greg in Littleton, CO
'69 Chevy Panel delivery
'56 Willys wagon
fatcity-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Speedway Motors Cast manifold clearance

welcome to the board!
I would first call speedway and see if they have these manifolds with a curved exit aplication. The straight dump ones were used on 4X4 (in the trucks) and I am pretty sure they will dump directly into the motor mount stand if you were to install one on a 2 wheel drive. I don't have anything with a small block to look at, and it has been almost 4 years since I had one. (otherwise I'd go look for you)
If you don't get some more defenate answers, then send me a PM to move this thread to the truck board. There is about 75 times more traffic there, and the info is the same burb to truck.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
fatcity-g

Yeah, as I suspected. I spoke with them, and they confirmed that they dump straight into the A-frame. Perhaps time to wander into "Corvette-world" to see what it might offer.
fatcity-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

look on the truck parts for sale forum, man horn manifolds are sold on there fairly regularly, then they also have repro of the original truck ones. Being a 69 - 72 makes the ram horn search MUCH easier than 67/68, so it could be a lot worse
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote