The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
scottmitchellrose

1970 c10 4x4 starter and harmonic balancer trouble

OK, here goes... obviously I've goofed. I've taken too long to replace the oil pan gasket and timing chain, so.... bolts are everywhere...
A few questions please:
when installing the harmonic balancer I think I may have goofed and screwed up the threading inside the crankshaft. any ideas for fixing it/ getting the balancer all the way into the timing chain cover?

also, the starter- how many bolts on my 307 (original motor- 45K on it)? i seem to remember one going straight up as i was lying on my back when i pulled it out. what do they look like and what are the lenghts/ thread count? i have a few bolts, but they don't seem to go into the bell housing too well- seems like 3 bolt to the bell housing? 2 on the bottom, one on the passenger outside? the curve of the starter in the back doesn't allow for me to get my bolts in straight

Thanks for any and all help!
scottmitchellrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: 1970 c10 4x4 starter and harmonic balancer trouble

I wouldn't worry about the starter at this point until you get the balancer bolt problem solved. You need to get a good look at the threads to be sure of the damage. Maybe photos would help, but most likely you will need to pull the fan and shroud (and maybe the radiator) to get in and see the threads. You may have to get some competent local help to take a look and help decide what the next step may be. It is possible that you will be able chase the threads with a tap but your alignment will have to be dead on as you will get only one chance. Or possibly using a Dremel to grind the bad threads down allowing the bolt to align and thread in. Once you have the thread issue behind you make sure you use the proper tool to install the balancer and not the bolt. You threads at the front of the crankshaft have been compromised and need to be babied or things could get worse.
Of course this would be much easier with the crankshaft on the bench or the engine out of the truck. Hence my recommendation to not worry about the starter at this point. Maybe there is someone here on the board that may be close and could help. You might try posting this again in the engine section to widen the audience.
Good luck.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 PM   #3
scottmitchellrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I wouldn't worry about the starter at this point until you get the balancer bolt problem solved. You need to get a good look at the threads to be sure of the damage. Maybe photos would help, but most likely you will need to pull the fan and shroud (and maybe the radiator) to get in and see the threads. You may have to get some competent local help to take a look and help decide what the next step may be. It is possible that you will be able chase the threads with a tap but your alignment will have to be dead on as you will get only one chance. Or possibly using a Dremel to grind the bad threads down allowing the bolt to align and thread in. Once you have the thread issue behind you make sure you use the proper tool to install the balancer and not the bolt. You threads at the front of the crankshaft have been compromised and need to be babied or things could get worse.
Of course this would be much easier with the crankshaft on the bench or the engine out of the truck. Hence my recommendation to not worry about the starter at this point. Maybe there is someone here on the board that may be close and could help. You might try posting this again in the engine section to widen the audience.
Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
scottmitchellrose is offline   Reply With Quote