The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
fdnkp

'85 swb LM7 swap

Hey guys I have been reading the posts on this board for a few months now while trying to figure out what path I wanted to go with on my 85' C10.
I bought it as an unfinished project about a year ago. It has a 305 in it right now, but i have just purchased a crashed 2004 silverado with the LM7 5.3L/4l60e. I would like to reuse as much as possible from the '04.

I plan on doing a cam swap on the 5.3l and the standard performance upgrades as this truck will be my toy but want to be able to drive it where-ever, when-ever.

My question is the 04 has the throttle by wire. I have no problems with this setup, but is there any big draw backs to using this setup? Does it limit performance, or just harder to hook up?

Also can I swap the steering column from the '04 to the c10? i would like to keep the factory anti-theft if possible and cant find any one that has done this yet.

And I read that using 2" setback plates would let you use the original drive shaft. the driveshaft lenght is my biggest concern because where i live the is no one that does driveshfts!!

I will post more pics of the donor truck and update pics of the c10 in a day or 2.
Attached Images

fdnkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Re: '85 swb LM7 swap

The throttle by wire isnt hard to hook up. If you have all the parts from the 04, it's just a matter of mounting the pedal and plugging it in. Also make cruise control easier to get working.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Thealien

Sounds good take lots of pictures and keep us updated
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnkp View Post
My question is the 04 has the throttle by wire. I have no problems with this setup, but is there any big draw backs to using this setup? Does it limit performance, or just harder to hook up?
I have it on my 85, and it was easy to set up. Since yours is an 04, the electric pedal is most likely all metal. Since the shape of the 04 pedal is different than the OEM you will need to cut the OEM pedal off and along with a spacer, weld it to the 04 assembly like this:

Quote:
Also can I swap the steering column from the '04 to the c10? i would like to keep the factory anti-theft if possible and cant find any one that has done this yet.
This might be rather difficult without doing a lot of modification to the dash around the bezel.

Quote:
And I read that using 2" setback plates would let you use the original drive shaft. the driveshaft lenght is my biggest concern because where i live the is no one that does driveshfts!!
Correct. Using these plates will allow you to reuse the original driveshaft, and make the shift linkage hook up with out any modifications other than to adjust the frame-to-column rod, and some minor hammer tweaking on the linkage between the frame and trans.

These would be the plates you want:

If you have the ability to make them, it would be cheaper than shipping them to the Caymans.

Note: The hole that needs countersunk is marked wrong. It should be the top row, second hole from the left. And each plate would need one countersunk on the opposite side, one for each side. And it's also not marked that the top left and third from left holes (as shown in the pic) should be drilled and tapped for a 3/8"-16 bolt.

Don't know if it has A/C or not, but we have all figured out a way to use the 5.3L's compressor in the original spot. If you are going to do this, let me know and I can help you with the mods needed.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 01-21-2010 at 01:41 PM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
fdnkp

wow guys thanks for the info.

the '04 didnt make it to the shop today. the insurance company screwed me around all day. so wont be pulling the 5.3 till next weekend. bummer!

glock35ipsc--
thanks for the mount info and pedal tips. i will get the adapters made this weekend. also i want to run ac again in her so the compressor info will be greatly appricated!!

heres some pics of the truck all cleaned up.

Last edited by fdnkp; 01-23-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
1971gmcshortbed

You can use the factory theft however you will need to swap quite a few parts. The column with cylinder and housing, the bcm, and possibly the ipc. It may be more trouble than it is worth. Don't forget the harnesses also. That theft system isn't very great. There is no transponder in the key. It uses a magnet to signal a sensor when you turn the key. So basically if the cylinder turns it triggers the theft. And I fix these theft recoveries all the time. Thieves break the lock and force it to turn. Good luck keep us posted.
1971gmcshortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
glock35ipsc

Modifying the frame stand for AC

In this pic you can see why the plate need modified. The green triangle is where the clam shell should bolt up. The factory bracket that bolts to the block, then the compressor bolts to it, hits the front of the plate. So the plate needs cut down, and the clam shell needs moved back to the red triangle:

So that it fits like this:

Next you will need to order two new manifold adapters for the 5'3L's compressor:

docsblocks.com, PN AA2209($15) and AA2210($20)

(Big Port Jimmy 6's pic)

With these, you will NOT have to notch your frame!

And this will be the result:

(68 short step's pics)

Old 01-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
menace121978

subscribing! sweet looking truck man. and welcome!!!!

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
fdnkp

Hey guys.

alright i have been trying to put my list together for an order from summit.

my list:

cam- COMP Cams 54-424-11 212 int./218 exh 115 lsa

valve springs - LS6 yellow springs

still looking for 7.4" pushrods

exhaust- i'm really having a hard time selecting a set of headers. I know the Thorley tri-ys would be the best but they are like $600!! which wont fit my budget for now
I have found a pretty good deal from Edelbrock

http://store.edelbrock.com/65683vict...itiononly.aspx

or these

http://store.edelbrock.com/6622testu...ackfinish.aspx

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-1694/

i know i have read some where that the 4th gen f-body headers will work without too much trouble, but ...
does anyone have any recommendations what headers i should go for? i can justify $300ish but dont know if i can swing $600. or should i just wait and run the stock manifolds for now?

and lastly i'm gonna be lazy and order mount adapters from summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-4572/ i think these are the same as the diamentions as the ones you used above? just want to make sure i wont have driveshaft issues.

thanks for all the help!!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
menace121978

i would just run the stock manifolds for now. and on your plates here are the same ones... but cheaper with bolts and everything. and super fast shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-C...item414be1ab50

man, the link isnt working this morning. if it still isnt working later then search ebay. $27+ shipping.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #11
fdnkp

so the '04 got dropped off at the shop this afternoon.

this was a low mile vehicle that i knew before the crash. the driver actually died in the crash. i got the truck from the insurance company for about $500.

i managed to get the motor and trans pulled before i left work tonight. unfortunatley it doesnt look too good. i cant believe how much that frame bent. i guess thats what CRUMPLE zones are!!

pan is broken worse than i thought. intake is damaged. trans bellhousing is cracked, and the craziest thing, the L/S exhaust manifold ripped every bolt out of the head!!

so I am looking at prices for heads, bellhousing, intake, and pan. so there goes the buget already!!

well im gonna go rest my aching back!! wasnt fun pulling that motor!!
Attached Images

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 01-28-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
glock35ipsc

I had to edit a couple lines of your last post there. Wanted to buy and for sell is limited to subscribing members only. It's definitely worth the $25/year though!!

Quote:
pan is broken worse than i thought. intake is damaged. trans bellhousing is cracked, and the craziest thing, the L/S exhaust manifold ripped every bolt out of the head!!
That thing took a pretty good shot to the chin!!!

You can get a complete replacement pan kit from GM for $125 (gmpartsdirect.com, p/n 19212593). It's a lower profile than the stock truck pan, and may actually be the best on for your truck seeing how low it sits. This included the pan, windage tray, pickup tube, dipstick and tube, gasket and bolts.

For the bellhousing and intake; ls1tech.com, ls1truck.com, and performancetrucks.net have good classified sections too. Don't forget Craigslist. Truck intakes are a dime a dozen, and usually complete with injectors and rails and everything.

Is the head itself damaged? Did it literally pull the bolts out (as in pulled all the threads), or did they all break off in the head?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

OUCH!!!! That thing took a serious hit. I hope the head isnt tore up too bad.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
fdnkp

again thanks for all the tips and info.

$125 for a new pan is cool. I found some pans on ebay last night that were that much used!!

yeah that truck was crazy how bent up it is. i will take some more photos of the carnage tomorrow. we had to cut the frame in 2 spot just to get the motor out.

still need to get the pedal out ftom under the dash. i have a friend that works on the ambulance and he was on the scene of the accident, he said
"be carefull there may still pieces of his legs under there!!"

really sobering thought that the driver was 20 yrs old and left his house with 3 of his buddies in the truck, he died and the other 3 were pretty much fine except for a few cuts and maybe broken bones.

appearently he went to pass another car and for what ever reason went off the road and hit a very large rock.

so the head has most of the threads ripped out 1 0r 2 of the rear bolts broke in the head. i could drill and heli-coil but i really dont want to mess around with that. one of the reasons im doing this swap is i want to be able to drive this thing with out much headaches. who know what else happened to te head if it took such an impact that the bolts ripped out.

anyway guys thanks for the help. have a good night!!