The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Wildstreak
"something witty here"

Lowering a suburban

What the best way to lower my burb and convert from drums to power disk. not so much change the rear to disk but for sure the front. I would like to get a lower ride height with out sacrificing too much handling. Any suggestions? This burb is gonna be my first build so I will be asking lots of questions and doing alot of research and I'm sure I will be getting alot of help from board members.

P.s
Do you have to get special kits for burbs or will a usual pickup kit work for the burbs as well??

Thanks
Joe
71 burb 2wd: 350 4spd
71 lwb fleetside 4x4: 350/sm465/205/3.07 eaton posi rear
72 lwb fleetside Cheyenne 454/th400
1991 GMC V3500 CC 4x4
Wildstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
capev86

Re: Lowering a suburban

you can get lowering springs in both 1/2 and 3/4 ton ratings. they give it more of a street stance without sacrificing too much ground clearance. whatever you do, use bolt in parts....drilling a couple holes is ok, but don't hack up the frame so that you or the next owner can return it to regular height in the future. i hate it when people c-notch a beautiful truck and lay the body on the ground....that is just too low to serve as anything but a show truck. we buy suburbans to haul our families, gear and trailers and they deserve that honored position!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
MrGoodpliers

I would go with Drop spindles in the front, which will kill two birds with one stone if you need to convert to discs. You can get 6 lug rotors or swap/convert your rear. A word of caution: don't get more than 3 or 4 inch drop springs for the rear because burbs are heavy. I bought 6 inch springs for mine and when I let the jack down it was near sitting on the frame. Early Classic Enterprises set me up with their airbag kit for the rear, and we use it for camping and love it.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodpliers View Post
I would go with Drop spindles in the front, which will kill two birds with one stone if you need to convert to discs. You can get 6 lug rotors or swap/convert your rear. A word of caution: don't get more than 3 or 4 inch drop springs for the rear because burbs are heavy. I bought 6 inch springs for mine and when I let the jack down it was near sitting on the frame. Early Classic Enterprises set me up with their airbag kit for the rear, and we use it for camping and love it.
How low did you go in the front? Did you notch the rear? And... of course do you have any pics showing the stance?
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
Wildstreak
"something witty here"

Since this will be a budget build, I really just want to make it look a lil meaner by giving it a lower stance. 2/4 sounds about what I was thinking, but I would love to see it drop frame in the future.
1991 GMC V3500 CC 4x4
Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
capev86

don't do a 2/4 drop....suburbans are heavier in the back than pickups. leveling looks stupid and makes it look saggy in the back from the side. just lower the whole truck the same amount all around or atleast keep just a touch of rake. go with the street truck look (no tucked wheels) and it will look mean AND be practical for regular driving. nobody builds sport trucks anymore....its all low rider with a vengence these days....they don't even classify as trucks when you do that.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
53burb

There is a vendor on here, I can't remember which one, but he has lowering springs for the rear that are specifically for Suburbans....
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
4oldcars

I used springs and spindles in the front, springs in the rear. Did NOT notch the frame. If I had it to do again, I'd bag it. Runs good. Handles good. Tows.

Driving:
1971 Jimmy w/68 Chev front clip, 1953 Bel Air 2 dr hdtp, 1996 Roadmaster wagon, 2000 Eldorado

The ones I let go:
1931 2 dr sedan, 1935 pick up, 1938 2 dr sedan, 1962 SS 454, 1963 409 wagon, 1970 short bed, 1972 short bed, 1972 sub, 1976 short bed, 1986 long bed, 03 short bed
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
1sik7t2
dave

come on it's ok to bag it IT"S still a truck but a low badass looking truck yes it's expensive but worth it but the low aggressive is cool too i tow and haul camping gear in mine NO PROBLEMS don't be too conservative
Old 05-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sik7t2 View Post
come on it's ok to bag it IT"S still a truck but a low badass looking truck yes it's expensive but worth it but the low aggressive is cool too i tow and haul camping gear in mine NO PROBLEMS don't be too conservative
I agree, .
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
Wildstreak
"something witty here"

I've read hart rods build and love it, if I have time and budget i would love to do something similar, I even have the 5.3 for the burb. Just need to find a good tranny now...
1991 GMC V3500 CC 4x4
Old 08-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #12
dante81_98

Figured I would just add my question to this thread instead of starting a new one. I am starting some research on a burban that we will be building. We don't have the truck yet so I am asking blindly, so to speak.

Are the suspensions for the burbans the same as the trucks? So would drop kits or bag kits for the truck work for a 70 burban?

Thanks,
Chad
dante81_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:18 AM   #13
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante81_98 View Post
Figured I would just add my question to this thread instead of starting a new one. I am starting some research on a burban that we will be building. We don't have the truck yet so I am asking blindly, so to speak.

Are the suspensions for the burbans the same as the trucks? So would drop kits or bag kits for the truck work for a 70 burban?

Thanks,
Chad
Welcome to the board. Yes they are the same.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
dante81_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Welcome to the board. Yes they are the same.
Thanks.
dante81_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #15
Dragsterbus

Hey my first proper post !
How about the 8 lug stuff , I'll probably swap out the rear end as it's a bit low on the gearing, is the front a Spindle/ hub swap ? I've got some spare rotors/hubs and calipers for my '92 C1500 ext cab ,are they any good for the '69 burb ?
Dragsterbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Here's my Panel with 2 1/2-4 drop.Used springs rear and spindles front.Next set of tires I will rake it some with tire size.I would do 2 1/2 -3 static drop for a burb to haul with.
Attached Images

Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

I bought spring kit for my burb (not installed yet) and the rear springs were specific for the burb. Probably a higher spring rate. The burb is more tail heavy than a truck. If you go with springs I would tell whoever you buy them its for a burb. Mine came from Brothers. I would suggest talking to Early Classics (Ed I think) as I hear they have allot of experience, sell kits, and have great customer service.
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #18
capev86

i see lots of trucks up with trailers (tourism season) and most of them need a lift kit in the rear despite having that factory designed-in rake. even pickups with less body weight are susceptible to this. if you tow anything bigger than a class 1 or 2 trailer, you will either want some rake, really stiff rear springs (3/4 ton lowering springs) or air bag suspension you can adjust. i would never put anything in a burb that was lowered more in the back than the front....it would drag its rear down the road and look stupid. only car that looks good with the nose high is a hotrodded 49 merc.

Panel Deland.....lower the nose 2 more inches and then it will look perfect! from that angle, it looks like you have a grand piano in the back (too much front fender gap like my 97 sable wagon). i like the steel rims with trim rings.....very sharp looking ride. will be really slick when you get the rocker cleaned up. the white is just so clean!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Thanks cape.I've been working mostly on getting it reliable and comfortable since I drive it spring,summer and fall and try to do some upgrades during the winter.It doesn't have any wheel wells in it(They are getting painted since I'm replacing them) and I have most of the stuff to go to PS.I think it would be easier without wheelwells.It actually sets level though the pic is from an angle that makes the front look higher than the rear.I may do 1 in springs front to rake it but 2 in would be too much for me.The most I will probably ever tow with it would be a 1000-1500# trailer and I might have to come up with a way to adjust height if I do.Here's a pic of it at a better angle.
Attached Images

Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 08-19-2009 at 06:31 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote