The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
Rockbottom78
Registered User
 
Rockbottom78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Hinton Alberta
Posts: 64
Bogging and dies

Hey guys. I just got my 78 c10 with a 5.3 lm7 and a 4l60e running and driving. I drove it around the block for an initial shake down. It seemed sort of boggy and seemed to lag. Was low on year old fuel so I figured it was that. Went to start it the next day and drive to the fuel station when it died in the driveway. Got the tank filled with fresh 91 octane. Started and idled better. Still lacking power once in gear and any load is applied bogs down to a stall out if I don't give it any gas... Any ideas!?
Posted via Mobile Device
Rockbottom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: alabama
Posts: 3,201
Re: Bogging and dies

did you change the fuel filter? what about fuel pressure..have you checked that?
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
Rockbottom78
Registered User
 
Rockbottom78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Hinton Alberta
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
did you change the fuel filter? what about fuel pressure..have you checked that?
Checked fuel pressure this morning. 62 lbs right at the fuel rail. Good now. Must have been bad fuel or the fact that my trans was a liter low of oil. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Rockbottom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:53 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: alabama
Posts: 3,201
Re: Bogging and dies

might want to go ahead and change that filter..especially since you were pumping old gas thru it..better safe than sorry
low trans fluid won't give the issues you had
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:57 AM   #5
Rockbottom78
Registered User
 
Rockbottom78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Hinton Alberta
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
might want to go ahead and change that filter..especially since you were pumping old gas thru it..better safe than sorry
low trans fluid won't give the issues you had
Posted via Mobile Device
Rockbottom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:00 AM   #6
Rockbottom78
Registered User
 
Rockbottom78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Hinton Alberta
Posts: 64
Re: Bogging and dies

I will have to throw a new filter in then. Your right trans fluid didn't have anything to do with it since it's back. I jumped the gun when I thought it went away... I have been told to check the throttle body isn't dirty on both sides of the butterfly. Or a bad o2 sensor possibly. My scan tool isn't throwing any o2 codes at me. Or any codes at all for that matter. I guess I'll start by cleaning the t/b and go from there...
Posted via Mobile Device
Rockbottom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: alabama
Posts: 3,201
Re: Bogging and dies

might put some injector cleaner in your tank as well..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW
 
BR3W CITY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MKE WI
Posts: 6,548
Re: Bogging and dies

Check fuel pressure under some load as well, and see if it drops. When demand rises, the pump should be keeping up. If the pressured drops, then you might have a restriction, bad reg, or issue with the pump.

And as always, check for vacuum and exhaust leaks on any new swap. The ECM can account for a pretty decent leak on either side at idle, but under load from the trans sometimes they will bog. If your not running a full exhaust, then be aware that the o2's might be seeing clean air and throwing your trims way off without triggering codes.

Is this a stock engine, or is there motor work involved. If its cammed, you might need your tuner to bump up the load correction on the idle.
__________________
'66 Short Step / SD Tuned / Big Cam LQ4 / Built 4l80e / Resurrecting 2017 / #REBUILDEVERYTHING

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:13 AM   #9
Rockbottom78
Registered User
 
Rockbottom78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Hinton Alberta
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Check fuel pressure under some load as well, and see if it drops. When demand rises, the pump should be keeping up. If the pressured drops, then you might have a restriction, bad reg, or issue with the pump.

And as always, check for vacuum and exhaust leaks on any new swap. The ECM can account for a pretty decent leak on either side at idle, but under load from the trans sometimes they will bog. If your not running a full exhaust, then be aware that the o2's might be seeing clean air and throwing your trims way off without triggering codes.

Is this a stock engine, or is there motor work involved. If its cammed, you might need your tuner to bump up the load correction on the idle.
Nice. I'll check fuel pressure under load as well. I still need to get exhaust built also. So it definitely could be the o2 sensors being so close to the end of pipe (collectors with a bung in it). That makes real sense as I'm slowing down from any speed the motor is falling in rpm. The lower the rpm the less exhaust pushing over the o2 gets worse reading lower rpm gets worse yada yada until stalled out. I guess I'm. It done building it yet! Also it is a stock motor with intake and headers. The only thing is the timing has been advanced slightly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rockbottom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:15 AM   #10
Rockbottom78
Registered User
 
Rockbottom78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Hinton Alberta
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
might put some injector cleaner in your tank as well..
Thanks I threw a bottle in yesterday. Hasn't ran much with cleaner in tank yet though. I'm sure my 160k mile engine would enjoy a drink of injector cleaner ether way haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Rockbottom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com