The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
jasonroman

flip kit on 4x4 questions??

hello all. picked up a 97 a week ago. 88k original mile truck been sitting a while but clean.
came with 16s and tires that were all cracked up- found some clist wheels and good tires- 20s for 230. purchased. did front brakes. put wheels on, turned down the stock torsion bar keys a bit.

want the truck lower. looked at lowering keys but saw a bunch of issues getting them out - so not sure its worth the pItA. for 100 keys- or spend 2 and get good spindles. read djm- might be the way to go- won't push wheels out.. my cheepo craigslist purchase was good to me on one end. 5 wheels and tires with good meat for cheep. but i dont like the way the front tires stick out - rears are good and will tuck if i lower. but the fronts- not so happy right now. but know with spindles id need bigger wheels so for now- they will do.

was under the truck this weekend checking things out. i was gonna put shackles i have in the garage on but didn't want the rear lower than the front.

so the question now- can i use 98 silverado flip kit instead of paying more for a 4x4 kit?
also- while under the truck, looks like getting the leaf spring off the side with the Gas Tank, might be hard.
dont look like theres a way to get the bolt out..
ill be flipping on the floor in my garage. how do you guys do it????
do i need to find the size of stock bolts and nuts and buy 6 new ones for each side and cut out the old?

appreciate any help - direction- pics that you guys can send my way.

j from jersey
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote