The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
LAIDOUT7

panhard bar -vs- track bar

Are track bars as bad as they say??.... I'm going to run a 2link rear set up, my rear frame is backed halfed,the part of my frame that runs over my axle tubes run a little high so I would have to run a long drop bracket to mount a panhard bar to the frame, just seems easier to put on a track bar set up?. but dont hear many people running them.I've read about how track bars stress the pivot point of the trailing arms and shock bushings.is this true? anyway your opinion on TRACK or PAN would be appreciated. Thanks
LAIDOUT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Re: panhard bar -vs- track bar

I was thinking a "trackbar" was the same as a panhard bar. Do you mean a "sway bar" (technically, an anti-sway bar)?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Panhard bars control side to side movement of the axle on trailing arm rear suspensions, which relieves all of the side to side stresses on the forward ends of the arms. A close look at the diff will reveal the diff end Panhard rod mount bolted to an eye in the top of the housing on the passenger side. What ECE and CPP call "Track Bars" are simply relocated Panhard bars and serve the same purpose but the diff side attachment has been moved to a mount attached below the passenger side axle U bolt to prevent binding of the linkage on a lowered truck. The frame end attachment point remains the same, on the drivers side behind the axle.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "Two Link" rear. The trailing arm suspension & Panhard bar setup that was stock on the 67-68 trucks is often referred to as a two link suspension.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
bedsled71

ive had 2- 2 links and used them for years with the track bar from link to link with no problems and know lots of others that have too . you said you dont see many people running them but i have never seen someone with a 2 link NOT run one... are your links parralell or based more on stock style??... stress on your pivot points for the links would be caused by your bag placement rather than track bar mounting location.. its all about leverage and the closer the bag is to the pivot point.. the more stress it gets

Last edited by bedsled71; 03-21-2010 at 12:55 AM.
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote