The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
ericjon262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Displaced Floridian/Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 214
The Pig Rig!

Just got a 88 Suburban 4x4, and decided to call it "The Pig Rig"!

First thing I did was rip the running boards off, put a new battery in, and do some general maintenance. the truck was filthy when I got it, so I spent several hours (8+) cleaning the truck inside and out.

Short range plan:

3 inch tuff country lift, and 33x10.50 R15 BFG All Terrain t/a's. the muffler is rotted through, so I will probably throw a hooker aerochamber in it's place, but otherwise leave it stock. I'm also planning on 3.73's or 4.11's. (I think it has 3.08's now.)

Long range plan:

3/4 or 1 ton rear axle w/2500hd disc brakes, and swap the front knuckles to 8 lug and mod them for matching 2500hd brakes, then there's the engine, planning on a as stock as possible 6.0 4L80e, maybe headers, but probably just manifolds.

overall, the paint is Ok, not multi color(well you know what I mean...) it appears to have been in at least one accident that damaged the passenger side door, and another that damaged the grill front bumper and hood, the door damage was fixed, but very poorly prepped for paint, and therefore looks pretty bad up close. the bumper, grill and hood still needs to be fixed, but it shouldn't be too hard.
Attached Images
     
__________________
'06 2500 HD 4x4. manual transfer case, crank windows.
'88 V10 Suburban 4x4, L05, 700r4, NP208, 4x4 beater camper fun truck project.

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #2
68Timber
I know the pieces fit
 
68Timber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MONTGOMERY, AL
Posts: 5,096
Re: The Pig Rig!

Congrats! Those colors are my favorite on two tone Burbs. How is the interior?
__________________
John

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
ericjon262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Displaced Floridian/Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 214
Re: The Pig Rig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Timber View Post
Congrats! Those colors are my favorite on two tone Burbs. How is the interior?
needs carpet, headliner, radio and some trim, but overall, not bad at all for $2000 I'll post more pictures when I'm not at work. the color isn't my favorite, but not bad. my favorite is one I have only seen one of, dark brown, with white sides, like my dad's old K20 Suburban.
__________________
'06 2500 HD 4x4. manual transfer case, crank windows.
'88 V10 Suburban 4x4, L05, 700r4, NP208, 4x4 beater camper fun truck project.

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Nodnarb76
Registered User
 
Nodnarb76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 414
Re: The Pig Rig!

Nice truck. Reminds me of mine except mine is 2wd. I like your plans with the truck. I swapped a 6.0l/4l80 into mine also and love it.
Canít wait to see how yours turns out.
Attached Images
 
__________________


1987 R20 Suburban LQ4/4L80e swap: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693824
Nodnarb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:09 AM   #5
ericjon262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Displaced Floridian/Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 214
Re: The Pig Rig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb76 View Post
Nice truck. Reminds me of mine except mine is 2wd. I like your plans with the truck. I swapped a 6.0l/4l80 into mine also and love it.
Canít wait to see how yours turns out.
thanks, I was gonna post pictures the other night, but I had a ton of work to do on the house. I don't have better pictures right now, but you can see, it needs carpet. lower door panels. overall, it cleaned up real nice for a $2000 truck, the dash isn't cracked, it runs and drives ok, 4wd works, not a ton of wind noise. I just wish I had more time to play with it. I just bought a house too, and have been doing lots of clean up and renovations.
Attached Images
  
__________________
'06 2500 HD 4x4. manual transfer case, crank windows.
'88 V10 Suburban 4x4, L05, 700r4, NP208, 4x4 beater camper fun truck project.

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Ski-me
Registered User
 
Ski-me's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Colo Springs, CO
Posts: 794
Re: The Pig Rig!

These suburbans are great! Had a 91' when I lived in Renton/Kent. With all the rain all the time....so nice to have dry hauling ability and the suburban did that perfectly!

You can get a new carpet set from stockinteriors.com for a decent price and it really helps freshen up the interior.

The actual carpet manufacturer is ACC.
__________________
- Jeff

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #7
ericjon262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Displaced Floridian/Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 214
Re: The Pig Rig!

so, here's a few updates...

the truck now has a big block 4 core radiator, which I finished installing right before the heater core let go... DOH!

the plans for this bad boy have changed drastically, as a result, I picked up some new stuff,

I picked up a new front axle so I could get it setup 8 lug now, and once I have a donor truck, swap in the whole axle, probably way faster than swapping the hubs alone. it also allows me to set an axle up with late model brakes, and make that part of the swap quicker as well. all that being said, I think this axle might get resold, I'l definitely prefer to have a dana 60 under this truck for reasons to be explained shortly...


I also picked up a NP205 transfer case, and have a line on an NP203 so I can build a doubler! I knew I would need a heavy duty transfer case, so the new plans, and when this popped up for $50... how could I say no!

now that you're all wondering what these new crazy plans are, I'll spill the beans! without further ado, the new plans, are to find a 04.5-06(or 07 classic) chevy/GMC 2500 HD donor truck, but instead of everyone's favorite LQ4 or LQ9, I'm gonna go for that LLY or LBZ! Precision fabrication makes a mount kit, so all I really have to do is find a donor, and do the heavy lifting!

https://precisionfabricationplus.com...uburban&page=1

the idea is that I'll throw a pretty much bone stock DMAX in, and have a very powerful, very reliable, daily driver ready for anything I want to throw at it!

Edit: if you have a dana 60 front axle for sale in Washington, I'm interested.
Attached Images
  
__________________
'06 2500 HD 4x4. manual transfer case, crank windows.
'88 V10 Suburban 4x4, L05, 700r4, NP208, 4x4 beater camper fun truck project.

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
SBTork
Garage wrench
 
SBTork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: LaCrosse, WI
Posts: 1,827
Re: The Pig Rig!

I really like your idea of a stock Duramax in your Suburban. That'll be a near perfect daily driver ready for anything! Can't wait to see progress on this
__________________
-Adam


85 C10 Suburban 5.3 / 4L60E on air, three season DD, rockin the southern GA patina.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
83 K5 Blazer awaiting a 4.8 swap.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #9
Nodnarb76
Registered User
 
Nodnarb76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 414
Re: The Pig Rig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjon262 View Post
so, here's a few updates...

the truck now has a big block 4 core radiator, which I finished installing right before the heater core let go... DOH!

the plans for this bad boy have changed drastically, as a result, I picked up some new stuff,

I picked up a new front axle so I could get it setup 8 lug now, and once I have a donor truck, swap in the whole axle, probably way faster than swapping the hubs alone. it also allows me to set an axle up with late model brakes, and make that part of the swap quicker as well. all that being said, I think this axle might get resold, I'l definitely prefer to have a dana 60 under this truck for reasons to be explained shortly...


I also picked up a NP205 transfer case, and have a line on an NP203 so I can build a doubler! I knew I would need a heavy duty transfer case, so the new plans, and when this popped up for $50... how could I say no!

now that you're all wondering what these new crazy plans are, I'll spill the beans! without further ado, the new plans, are to find a 04.5-06(or 07 classic) chevy/GMC 2500 HD donor truck, but instead of everyone's favorite LQ4 or LQ9, I'm gonna go for that LLY or LBZ! Precision fabrication makes a mount kit, so all I really have to do is find a donor, and do the heavy lifting!

https://precisionfabricationplus.com...uburban&page=1

the idea is that I'll throw a pretty much bone stock DMAX in, and have a very powerful, very reliable, daily driver ready for anything I want to throw at it!

Edit: if you have a dana 60 front axle for sale in Washington, I'm interested.

This is gonna be epic! I will be following along.
__________________


1987 R20 Suburban LQ4/4L80e swap: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=693824
Nodnarb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #10
ericjon262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Displaced Floridian/Bremerton, Wa
Posts: 214
Re: The Pig Rig!

I sure hope so, there's more than one badass Duramax project out there, this one, will probably be one of the more tame examples, the plan is to keep it as stock as possible, maybe an air intake and a down pipe, and tune, but otherwise, only mods to make the engine fit will be undertaken, to ensure the reliability remains intact. the A1000 will also remain stock, short of mods required to make it work with the NP203/205 doubler, which, from what I can see right now, will be a non issue anyways. the biggest issue I'm running into will be finding a dana 60 front axle that won't cost me 50K... I really don't want to play around and blow up a ten bolt when there are simple enough solutions out there.
__________________
'06 2500 HD 4x4. manual transfer case, crank windows.
'88 V10 Suburban 4x4, L05, 700r4, NP208, 4x4 beater camper fun truck project.

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 AM   #11
68Timber
I know the pieces fit
 
68Timber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MONTGOMERY, AL
Posts: 5,096
Re: The Pig Rig!

Will you wheel it hard enough to justify chasing down a 60? Just a thought, but you could install an 8-lug 10-bolt and run it while keeping an eye out for a Dana 60.
__________________
John

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com