The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
f.monroe

Help an old man out

My son has an amp with the following specs. He had a pair of 15 inch Kicker subs that were way too big for his truck so I bought him an under seat down firing sealed box for 10 inch subs so he could reinstall his back seat. I partially understand the series/ parallel wiring and would like a suggestion on a good sub and wether we should bridge the amp or not. Is there a reason to bridge it when the specs at 2 ohms per channel seem to show the same output as a bridged load?

The box is .74 cu ft per side

I think he should be looking for a dual 4 ohm voice coil. To take advantage of the dual 2 ohm channels but his buddies say we need to bridge the amp for max output. Is there a difference in output?

Here are the specs on his amp. It just a cheaper amp he got from his cousin.
Audio phonics ADF-2842

4 ohms: 100 watts x 2 chan.
2 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 300 watts x 1 chan.
Max output 600 watts x 2

I would appreciate any help here.
Frank
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Re: Help an old man out

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
My son has an amp with the following specs. He had a pair of 15 inch Kicker subs that were way too big for his truck so I bought him an under seat down firing sealed box for 10 inch subs so he could reinstall his back seat. I partially understand the series/ parallel wiring and would like a suggestion on a good sub and wether we should bridge the amp or not. Is there a reason to bridge it when the specs at 2 ohms per channel seem to show the same output as a bridged load?

The box is .74 cu ft per side

I think he should be looking for a dual 4 ohm voice coil. To take advantage of the dual 2 ohm channels but his buddies say we need to bridge the amp for max output. Is there a difference in output?

Here are the specs on his amp. It just a cheaper amp he got from his cousin.
Audio phonics ADF-2842

4 ohms: 100 watts x 2 chan.
2 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 300 watts x 1 chan.
Max output 600 watts x 2

I would appreciate any help here.
Frank
Posted via Mobile Device
i found running mono it didn't sound as good
i preferred hearing a left or right bass note
otherwise it should be easy to change once they are in
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
bohmankid

wire the subs in the series or parallel formation (depending on the ohms of the subs) to match the ohms of the amplifier. If the amp is 4 ohms when bridged, make sure you wire the subs to 4 ohms and bridge it. If the amp is 2 ohms not bridged, make sure you wire the subs to 2 ohms individually. It's kinda confusing.
You could bridge the subs to put more watts through them, this will draw more power and push the subs harder (as long as they're wired correctly). Or you could leave them un-bridged. If the subs have a much larger watt spec than the amp, go ahead and bridge them.
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
king-918

It's simple. Lower ohms = less resistance = more power. If you amp is 2 ohm stable wire the sub in parallel
4ohms divided by 2 channels is 2ohms
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
jimmydean

If your amp can't take less than 4 ohms bridged, than it will trip the load circuit of the amp if you bridge it into a 2 ohm load.

A pair of 4 ohm subs wired in parallel makes a 2 ohm circuit. Put a 2 ohm circuit bridged on a 2 channel amp is a 1 ohm load seen by the amp.

MOST AMPS CAN'T HANDLE A 1 OHM LOAD.

If you get 2 subs that are 4 ohm dual voice coil (4 ohm x2) you can wire each sub by itself in parallel making a 2 ohm load. Put each 2 ohm load on each channel to get 150W per channel.

Does that make sense?

Best Option (based on amp specs): 4 ohm DVC subs wired in 2 ohm mode, one per channel with an RMS rating of 150-200W.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
f.monroe

This is basically what I was thinking. DVC subs seem to be more costly but I found some Kicker Comp 10's that come in single coil 2 ohm that are only $60-$90 each depending on where yo get them. Best buy says they should work OK with his box but the specs suggest a 1-2 cu ft box and his is only .74 cu ft per side. What do you think about the size of his box vs. the recommended size from kicker. I know I can get the most out of his amp with two 2 ohm subs or DVC 4 ohm subs wired to 2 ohms each or even parallel 8 ohms on a bridged 4 ohm circuit but would there be any sound difference?

Anyone have a good but also cheaper sub recommendation that fits his needs. He doesn't have much money and I want him to get he most out of his purchase since I am making him buy them. Lesson learning opportunity here rather than just buying them for him.
Thanks for the help.
Frank
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
stephenmeeker

Pioneer has really great shallow 10, well, all of their newer shallows sound very nice. I run a 12 in mine. the ten needs anywhere from .3 to .7 for space, so that box you have would be perfect.
stephenmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote