The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Advice on audio setup (spkrs, amp, sub)

Hey guys,

Background:

I have a Retrosound model one receiver. It has four RCA outputs for speakers going to an amp. It does NOT have a subwoofer out. The model two receivers do, but the model one (which I have) does not.

Currently I have two 3.5s in the dash, in the original speaker mounts for a 72 Chevy truck and two 6.5s in kick panels. No amp currently.

What I want to do:

I want to add two 6x9s to the doors. Before anyone breaks out the holy water and exorcism rituals, the previous owner had cut the doors for 6x9s. I've had them covered up with a carpet panel, but since they are already cut, might as well use the space.

I also want to add a four channel amp. Plan to run the 3.5s and 6.5s in a series for the front two channels and the 6x9s on the rear amp channels.

All that seems logical and easy to accomplish.

Here's the kicker (no pun intended):

I want to run a powered low profile subwoofer. I have a Boss Audio powered sub in my 78 and for the music I listen to (mostly classic rock), it's plenty.

So my question is, how can I get a signal to the powered subwoofer without a subwoofer out on the deck? It seems like that signal should come from the deck itself, rather than from the amp?

Appreciate any advice.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
biohazardbill

Re: Advice on audio setup (spkrs, amp, sub)

I dont think you will be happy with the sound if you go that route. If you are putting stuff in the doors, just get a nice set of 6.5 components. Put some good clean power to them and it can get super loud. Get a 4 channel amp with crossovers and use the front two channels as high pass, rear two lowpass. Bridge the rear amp outs to a mono signal and bam.

If you still feel the need to put in bothe 6x9 and a 6.5, drop the 3.5 and get a 6.5 coax or component and run them parallel with the 6x9 off the front channels.

Edit***
Forgot you said you had kick panels. I would leave the doors alone then and put a good set of components or coax in the kicks.

Last edited by biohazardbill; 06-14-2013 at 07:56 AM.
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Low Elco

Hey, you're alive! Glad you're still kickin'.

Does your powered sub have a built in crossover? If so, you can "Y" out of one of your rear channels for a signal, should do ok. If not, do the same "Y", with an inline rca crossover.seen here-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Connec...#ht_102wt_1043

Don't forget to use bass blocker caps on your 3.5's.

Good luck!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Thank you, gentlemen, for the feedback and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazardbill View Post
If you still feel the need to put in bothe 6x9 and a 6.5, drop the 3.5 and get a 6.5 coax or component and run them parallel with the 6x9 off the front channels.
I've read quite a few opinions that 6.5s are better than 6x9s. I've had a difficult time with this, coming from the late 70s and 80s, where it was almost a cardinal sin NOT to have 6x9s. Times they change and I'm going to get with them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Hey, you're alive! Glad you're still kickin'.

Does your powered sub have a built in crossover? If so, you can "Y" out of one of your rear channels for a signal, should do ok. If not, do the same "Y", with an inline rca crossover.seen here-
Hey bud! Still kickin'! Summer months bring a welcome increase in my web businesses, taking a little stress off the normal grind.

I haven't purchased the powered sub yet. I do have the Boss sub in my '78, along with an Alpine deck, JL Audio amp, JL 6x9s and JL component 6.5s. It is a very impressive system with unbelievable sound, so was considering add that same powered sub to my '72.

Good point on the bass blockers. Was just looking at some on Amazon. That is a great contributor to the problem in my '72, because there is no amp and no bass blockers, so the 3.5s can't take much. I'm definitely going to pick some of these up.

I like the idea of y outs for the rears and sub. I've added the RCA crossovers to my Ebay watch list.

I haven't purchased anything yet. I started looking at the 5 channel amps, which seem like it would solve my issues, but started thinking about the amp power output going into an already powered sub.

Being prone to misery, I tend to over-analyze everything!

Thanks again, both, for your advice and feedback!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Zane M

There are amps available that have an RCA output, which you could use to send signal to the powered sub.
I can't provide recommendations off had, but google is your friend.

Last edited by Zane M; 06-15-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Found something to add
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
stephenmeeker

Im currently running 6x9s and a pioneer shallow '12 in a small box under my seat, powered by a rockford 4 channel. the rockford has 3 sets of rca's, two input and one output. By technicality, You could run the output to the powered sub and it will work. The amp takes in all of the sound coming from the deck, and filters it from there, whether it be low or high pass. output is just a full pass, and you choose the low pass from either the deck or the amp on the sub. the rockford I am running is AMAZING, and I would suggest it as my number one four channel. My truck pounds, and the rest of the sound is nice and loud and crisp.
stephenmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote