The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
Kudzupatch

2 ignition module failures - Coinicidence??

My GM module failed about 3 months ago on a trip in the mountains. Had to have it towed and someone else replace it.

Yesterday the aftermarket module they sold me failed on after 3-4 months. I was going to replace that one with a GM and keep it as spare because I know the reputation of the aftermarket parts but forgot about it.

Here is the thing that puzzles me. BOTH failed while coasting down a grade with my Suburban dropped down in 3rd to keep the speed down. They were both installed properly with the thermal goo in place. Maybe it is coincidence but it seems odd to me that they both failed in the same circumstance. I can't see any reason this would cause it but it leaves me scratching my head. Anyone else ran into this?
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: 2 ignition module failures - Coinicidence??

I had a failure and bough one for my 94 from NAPA thinking I was going to get a 'made in USA' module,, NOPE, most ALL of them are import junk these days. I think the AC Delco replacement I finally found was made in Isreal or Mexico or some place, just remember it wasn't USA.

Good luck and all I can offer is forget any discount parts house and look for a AC-Delco,, it's as good as your going to get these days.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
68 50th

I bought 3 ignition modules cheap from a ebay seller. Turned out all 3 were junk, no start condition. Made a claim and got 3 new, 2 of those were the same (no start) and with 1 of them the engine started but it immediatly turned on the CEL. Made a new claim but the seller stopped answering my conversation. I finally got my money back from ebay, not the seller.

Lessons learned from that mistake I wanted to go with AC Delco when the fuel pump gave up in my 2001 GMC. So I bought an AC Delco fuel pump and thought I was safe. It gave up after about only 3-4 K miles. What I didnīt know when I bought the AC Delco pump was that there are several different AC Delco quality classes. Turned out that the pump I bought was a AC Delco Advantage which is a low price budget alternative. When talking about this on another forum most people recommended to stay away from the AC Delco Advantage series parts.

Donīt know if the ignition module for a 94 is avaliable in the AC Delco Advantage series but if it is you might want to choose something else.
http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/au...t.content.html

http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/ig...on-module.html
1992 Silverado Sport Truck
1988 Silverado 2500 Ext Longbed 4x4
2001 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
1990 Chevrolet K3500
1965 Pontiac Grand Prix
1980 Z 28 350/4-speed/AC/T-top
1980 Camaro Coupe V6/3-speed
1979 Buick Century Wagon
68 50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Aftermarket ones can be issy, but I have had the GM ones go also. The last one was replaced by someone other than me and when I went to replace it, I noticed they used little to no dielectric grease when they installed the module. Heat is normally their killer.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
3v0

The ignition module died on my 91 K1500. One of the screws was not tightening so I drilled out the base plate holes just a bit smaller than machine screws that matched the module holes and ran the screws in to self tap. Used nylock nuts on the bottom of the new screws just to be safe. Also used ThermalCoolFlux(TM) High Performance Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Paste. Overkill but I expect it will last.

Seems AC Delco has three grades: Advantage, Original/OEM, and Professional.

The hype on the pro unit reads "An ACDelco Professional, premium aftermarket Ignition Control Module is the ideal high-quality replacement for your GM vehicle. ... An ACDelco Professional Ignition Control Module features electronically welded lead connections to help reduce heat stress, failure or cold joints. This Ignition Control Module has been laser trimmed to provide precise values and reduce deterioration and damage. It includes a copper slug heat sink to help dissipate heat and create a more stable environment and also features a large bus bar for added support and conductivity to address the installation and operating forces that stress terminal tabs. This premium aftermarket replacement Ignition Control Module is manufactured to meet or exceed your expectations for fit, form and function."
3v0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 PM   #6
James Hart

I had one go bad due to a hack job remote starter the previous owner installed... the Autozone replacement failed within 6 months. Bought an AC Delco off Amazon and it has been fine for 3 years now.
James Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #7
mountie

I replaced my ECM a few months ago... I was told my coil killed it. Replaced the coil with it. So far, so good.

A coil can be bad, but still work.
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
'86 Yamaha FZ750 - 15,000 RPM
'86 Yamaha FJ1200 - Criminally Fast
2016 Ferrari 488 GTB, I drive it - don't own it.
'05 GMC Yukon XL , SLT 4wd ( just purchased 2018)
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #8
abig84

A little older of a vehicle but might be the same problem. Owned a 84 k5 blazer that did the same thing, would randomly blow modules out anywhere from 1-3 months so I kept a pile of them in the glove box.

Ended up being that one of the coil wires ( I think the red one) on top od the distributor was frayed and arcing over to the ground. Going on 6 years later and same motor in a different truck and works fine. Obviously these don't have HEI setups but might want to make sure none of the wires going to the coil or under the cap aren't frayed
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
ironroad9c1
Master Hater

also you just need a thin layer of paste, not a big thick layer, too much is just as bad as not enough, its job is to allow transfer of heat to the base plate, not keep it away.
"This evening, all of you bleeding hearts... why don't just go ahead and hug yourself for the next 20 minutes or so, because there's a really good chance you're gonna be offended".- Captain Owen Honors
ironroad9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:02 AM   #10
rickpilgrim

I went through EVERY brand of HEI module O'Reilly's sold in 2012-2013 in my dually and while the MSD lasted 3 months all of the BWD and Wels failed with regularity. If you find one that lasts please let us know.
Now days I'm running the HEI pickup hooked to a Summit Racing multi spark box back to the HEI coil and 0 ign problems now.
rickpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #11
speedygonzales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Aftermarket ones can be issy, but I have had the GM ones go also. The last one was replaced by someone other than me and when I went to replace it, I noticed they used little to no dielectric grease when they installed the module. Heat is normally their killer.
I hope you know the difference between "dielectric" grease and "thermal compound" and it was just a slip in typing.