The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #351
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Since I have been a self employed painter caulking baseboards and door frames for the last 25 years, I figured I should be able to run the silicone around the frame and glass.

I'm sure the glass shop would have done it different, but here's how a painter does it. Not wanting to have it look like it was put on with a sling shot. I ran masking tape around the inside of the glass leaving about a 1/8 inch of glass showing. This would allow for the silicone to get down inside the chanel and also get a grip on some of the glass. Beacause the frame was already painted I tape it as well.
[/URL]
then it was time to shot the silicone. I had to heat it up in the oven because a conventional caulk gun just wouldn't budge the material. Kind of hard to see in the pic but once I shot the bead I smoothed it out with my fingure while trying to press the silicone down into the chanel. Once done, I peeled the tape off and it looked great!
[/URL]
I was going to post a pic of how good the frame looked once I got it back on the truck, but I ran into a snag. After reading countless threads about how great Steele rubber products were, I pulled the trigger and dropped $85 on a new gasket. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!! As soon as I opened the box I could see there was a difference in the size of the gasket. The outer most flange that makes the actual seal was nearly 1/4 smaller than the gasket I took off the truck.
[/URL]
Even though I knew the new gasket would not fill the entire chanel on the truck, I figured since I had nothing better to do, I would put the new gasket on the frame and bolt it to the truck just to see how bad it looked. Pretty much, it looked worse than some of the stuff that swirls around in a toilet!
[/URL]

This is exactly why I didn't want to drop $600 on a new frame or a one piece glass. Because it seems like everything you buy now a days is nothing but crap! I think for now I will just clean up the old gasket (its in to good of shape to be the original) and re-use it.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:05 AM   #352
CURSED GEARS

That reminds me of the window felt I bought for my truck. It had screws that secured the felt to the frame. The screws stuck up to far preventing the window from rolling up. 50 bucks down the drain. Luckily, my glass guy had his own stuff. Still, 50 bucks is 50 bucks!
CURSED GEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #353
dennislbrooks

What paint did you use on the grill and front bumper?
Old 10-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #354
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislbrooks View Post
What paint did you use on the grill and front bumper?
Just a single stage white. Same thing that i used on my firewall. I think it's called Fleet white. I am also doing the bed srips and back bumper as well. Still kicking around the idea of re-doing the windshield frame white as well.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #355
paintman

Soooooo, I had one last painting chore to do before it turned cold here in Joisey.
One of the previous owners had smeared some kind of textured bed liner on the running boards. I kind of liked the idea and thought it looked old school, but as usual, it was done all 1/2 assed.
[/URL]

So I stripped all the stuff off the boards a couple of years ago not knowing if I was going to put something back on or just paint the entire running board like most guys do. I finally decided to put bed liner back on the boards but make it a little more classy looking. When i shot the Mango Tango I left a portion of the boards taped off for the bed liner.
[/URL]

After spending a couple of hours reading reviews on bed liners. I stumbled across this stuff. Monstaliner, the cool thing about this stuff is that it comes in your standard black. Or they can send it to you as a tintable base, with all kinds of colors to choose from. Just think of it as POR15 on steroids!
I was kicking around the idea of doing the boards with white, but settled on black. The black comes as a 2 part sytem with the base and catalyst. The little silver pouch contains a pudding like activator that you squeeze into the partialy full quart base. You also need there foam roller.
[/URL]

I scuffed up the epoxy primer I had put on originaly, then applied the 1st coat. Waited 4 hours and layed on a 2nd coat. Stuff goes on like thinned roofing tar. Their roller puts on a slight texture and the stuff dries out to a semi flat finish, which will match the rest of the Matte finish Mango Tango on the truck. Took almost a full quart. Turned out better than I expected. Not sure how it will hold up but all the reviews I read were positive.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
And that is how a lolely house painter from New Joisey classes up an old pair of 46 Chevy Pickup running boards.

Mr. Magoo could care less.......................
[/URL]
Old 10-19-2016, 05:32 PM   #356
old yelr

Lookin good!
old yelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #357
CURSED GEARS

Good stuff!
Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 PM   #358
paintman

Time to bump it back to the top.
Windshield, done! Re-used the gasket that was on the truck when I bought it. I thought about painting the frame white, but went with black. Still not sure i made the right choice. Threw out the new Steele Rubber piece of .....................
[/URL]

In one of my other posts I eluded to the fact that my bed strips were giving me trouble. When I went to clean them up for assembly, I found what looked to be some kind of hardened sap all over them. Especially under where all the bolt heads were. I tried all kinds of chemicals to try and soften the stuff but nothing worked. It looked to me as if whoever assembled the bed of the truck put the bed strips in with the bolts right over the thin protective plastic the strips are shipped with. When he finally peeled the plastic off, the plastic remained under all the bolts, and in other places, only to dry and harden. The only way I could remove it was with my die grinder and scuff pads. What a job! With all my bed strips scuffed up, I had three choices. Buy new, try to re-polish them, or paint them. Well, I think this will work for now ....................
[/URL]
Old 11-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #359
paintman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Img-NxEdUk0
Old 11-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #360
paintman

Sorry my bad LOL................try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auaDSwCWdCk
Old 11-03-2016, 01:46 PM   #361
Cape Codder

Sounds sweet even a little raspy. Funny I have been subscibed since the beginning and watching your progress. When I just saw the alert for your thread I was trying to remember if you had started it yet. When I logged on and saw the vid link it was like Oh Yea. I am a big fan of the straight six.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #362
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Sounds awesome! Really makes me want to get mine running. haha When I get the cab on next year I think I am gonna bite the bullet and start my 292 finally after almost 2 years of being done.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #363
Advanced Design

Nice work, engine sounds good.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:53 AM   #364
CURSED GEARS

That's great! I like your twin machine guns, uh, horns!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #365
paintman

Well, you guys keep pushing me further towards the bottom of the page, So I figure it's time to get busy and bump the 46 back to the top.

Been pretty busy around the Paintman's place with fall cleanup. But I did get the bed of the truck back on and got the wood bolted back in. Also got the fuel door and battery box living in their new home.
[/URL]

[/URL]

Also mounted the rear bumper. The one that came with the truck was ugly as hell so I got a rear bumper off a 47 on the cheap. Since I moved the rear cross member all the way to the rear of the frame, I couldn't use 46 bumper brackets. So I bought a set for a 47 and mounted them to the outside of the frame. I still have to weld the brackets and bolts to the bumper and shave the heads of the bolts off for that smoooooth look to match the front.
[/URL]

I also got some panels made for behind the seat. Not sure what Chevy was thinking when they made the original corner peices, as they are way to small.
[/URL]
Next up is getting some of the panels covered. I want to get as much of the interior done before I hang the doors. Paintman still plugging away at it!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #366
solidaxel

Great idea on the rear panel, thanks for the suggestion, as we are still in upholstery jail !!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #367
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Great idea on the rear panel, thanks for the suggestion, as we are still in upholstery jail !!
I wish I could put my truck in some kind of jail and have somebody else do the work. I gettin tired of this! I'm just going to try and do the best I can with some basic carpet (black or beige) finishing off the inside myself.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:43 PM   #368
solidaxel

For this project I was able to pick and chose the parts I wanted to do, and farm the rest out, this was a fun project for me!
LS 3 4L70E
Old 04-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #369
solidaxel

Has the snow melted yet!
Any updates?
LS 3 4L70E
Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #370
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Has the snow melted yet!
Any updates?
Sorry Solid, not much to report on the truck. In fact today was the first I have worked on it since mid December.
I don't know how all you guys do it. Night after night, day after day, constantly working on your trucks. After I got the motor running and the bed back on, I really thought I would have the truck on the road by Spring. So I worked my backside off to keep moving things along in the Fall. Then I ran into some snags.

First off the weather got to cold here in NJ to paint the remaining parts I needed to finish. If you recall I shaved the back bumper. Then it got to cold to paint it. Problem there was I could not bolt the rear fenders on until I got the bumper back on.If you recall, I had to use 47 brackets that mount to the outside of the frame. Problem is with the fenders on I could not get the bolts in because the one bolt sits behind the fender.

So then I tried to move onto re-working the running board brackets because the previous owners had the wrong ones on the truck (to short) and I could only get one bolt on the under side into each board.
After that the only other thing I could really do was some upholstery work on the inner panels. I used a foam backed buckskin color. Kind of looks like leather.
[/URL]
I then wanted to move onto installing the inner cab tin but once again the previous owner had sprayed some kind of lizard skin on the back window surround that looked worse than Satan's jock strap. So knowing I had to strip that crap off prime and paint everything including the window wiper enclosure I just decided to take a brake and wait for spring. I really needed to take some time off from the truck. I was just getting to burned out on it. Remember, I thought I was just going to change spark plugs and oil on this damn thing 6 years ago.

Thanks to the truck, my other hobby had taken a back seat. For those of you that have been following along..........I have a 200 gallon salt water fish and coral tank that needs constant attention. I have neglected so much that back in January the tanks got infested with a bacteria that started to kill all my corals. So for the last 3 months I have been trying to save my tank. This includes massive amount of cleaning every day and spending a lot of money on some new equipment.
[/URL]

All along I have also been building a new full bathroom in our basement to try and get our 15 year old daughter out of our Master Bathroom. She hats sharing a bathroom with her sister.

Did I mention I don't know how you guys do this?

Lastly the other thing that is keeping me from working on the truck is my business. Ever since the election my phone has been ringing off the hook! Please lets not start a debate over this but facts are facts.

So anyways I think I am back now that the weather has broken here in NJ. In fact it was 70 degrees here today so I jumped back on the truck. I spent 4 hours stripping the black snot off of the inner tin that goes around the rear window.
[/URL]
Hopefully this week I can blow some primer on the tin and rear bumper and get back on track.

I'm still here I just don't know how you guys do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #371
solidaxel

............ and I don't know how you young guys have so much time to do all things (work) you have in front of you!
These are for fun, so don't make work out of it or like you say you will burn out very fast,
you are doing a great detailed job and you will be rewarded many times over when you get on the road.
I have been trying to pry the 46 away from the owner to do some maintaince, but I can not get him to stop driving it!

Slow down and take a breath !
LS 3 4L70E
Old 04-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #372
paintman

I'm not that young............I turn 55 in 3 weeks: My Wife keeps begging me to just retire and take care of the house and run the girls to school. Wait a minute that sounds like a good deal!
Old 04-09-2017, 09:57 PM   #373
joedoh

I like how you save money and reuse useful things, thats a good way to be!

truck looks great, you are moving at a good pace for such nice work.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #374
paintman

Well, now that it's warm enough, the paintman finally got up off his ass and got something done. I was able to get all the last little doo-dads painted for the interior of the cab. (nice blanket huh?)
[/URL]
Also got all the Rhino liner stripped off the rear window surround, and installed my homemade upholstery panels behind the seat.
[/URL]
And what has really been holding me up............Rear bumper shaved, painted, and re-installed! Waiting on bed roll lights from speedway. Then I can finish wiring up the rear lights.
[/URL]

This weekends goal is to get the rest of the tin, and headliner back in the cab.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #375
paintman

Don't know why this pic didn't post..........
[/URL]