The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
samples45

Can someone tell me..

I have a 1955 (2nd series) chevy truck, c4 front and rear suspension, how realistic is putting 20's on the front, 22's on the back with coilovers? Sorry for my insane question I'm a newbie!

Cameron
samples45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Can someone tell me..

I won't put my opinion of what I think those look like on old trucks because the progressive truckers slap me around every time I do but if it were me I'd find someone to borrow a set from so I could see if they fit and stand back and look and decide what I thought of them. Better than spending a ton of money and deciding you don't like them. One of the local tire stores might have a set mounted up for display purposes that you could try at the tire store.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I won't put my opinion of what I think those look like on old trucks because the progressive truckers slap me around every time I do but if it were me I'd find someone to borrow a set from so I could see if they fit and stand back and look and decide what I thought of them. Better than spending a ton of money and deciding you don't like them. One of the local tire stores might have a set mounted up for display purposes that you could try at the tire store.
lol Im a young guy i like the big wheels loward look! But i feel yeah! Im still building the truck and not at the driving stage..Guess i could just buy some and wing it
Old 02-25-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
mr48chev

Trouble with buying to soon is that they will be out of style before you get it running and driving.

The main thing right now is you need to know that they will fit right and you like the general look even if the wheels you try aren't what you want to end up with. Over on the 67/72 side you can see discussions on "look at my new bigger set of rims where some of them have two or three new sets of wheels and tires that they have pulled off their trucks before ever driving them. Stack of 18's beside a stack of 20's next to a stack of 22's because they now have 24's on the truck and it isn't finished.

The local tire stores around here sell the most gaudy and garish looking 20's, 22's and bigger rims that you would see in a bad nightmare. You seldom see a set of Coy spokes or other actually presentable looking rims on the street rigs here.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:59 PM   #5
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Trouble with buying to soon is that they will be out of style before you get it running and driving.

The main thing right now is you need to know that they will fit right and you like the general look even if the wheels you try aren't what you want to end up with. Over on the 67/72 side you can see discussions on "look at my new bigger set of rims where some of them have two or three new sets of wheels and tires that they have pulled off their trucks before ever driving them. Stack of 18's beside a stack of 20's next to a stack of 22's because they now have 24's on the truck and it isn't finished.

The local tire stores around here sell the most gaudy and garish looking 20's, 22's and bigger rims that you would see in a bad nightmare. You seldom see a set of Coy spokes or other actually presentable looking rims on the street rigs here.
I gotcha! thanks alot for that! Im gonna think this through now.. lol i get what your saying!
Old 02-26-2015, 03:36 AM   #6
ghettoluxury

I like your self like big rims, my 2000 Z71 has 22's & my 1973 stepside he's 20's. I also wanted something that would look like it belongs on my 1949 GMC. After seeing Grimms panel truck build I found exactly what I wanted and believe it will suite the old girl's fancy. They are 20" spare rims off of a Dodge with factory center caps. Once finished it should look like they could have been a factory option.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:39 AM   #7
ghettoluxury

Sorry forgot the picture. This is from Grimms build page.
Attached Images

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #8
samples45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoluxury View Post
Sorry forgot the picture. This is from Grimms build page.
thats pretty sweet man!