The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
motorhead153

Re: S10 Swap how to

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
to add to that, all 2wd s10 trucks and blazers use the same front frame half and different rear frame halves that are longer or shorter (or a different shape in the case of the blazer) to make the different wheelbases. there is a factory weld joint where the rear section is slipped inside the front section, its roughly under where the door was, and you can grind the factory welds and slip it apart, cut off the extra, and slip it back together and weld it. a slip joint is a little easier to keep square and weld strongly than a butt joint.
Great tip! I crawled under the truck last night and saw the area your referring too, looks like it could be the best place to shorten it up. All I have left to remove is the S10 cab, I'm hoping to remove it today and Ill have a better look. So next newbie question, according the the web the s10 LBRC wheelbase is 117.9 and the 52 SBRC is 116. since I'm having to shorten the chassis anyway which WB should I go for?

Great thread by the way! Wealth of knowledge!
motorhead153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
skymangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead153 View Post
Great tip! I crawled under the truck last night and saw the area your referring too, looks like it could be the best place to shorten it up. All I have left to remove is the S10 cab, I'm hoping to remove it today and Ill have a better look. So next newbie question, according the the web the s10 LBRC wheelbase is 117.9 and the 52 SBRC is 116. since I'm having to shorten the chassis anyway which WB should I go for?

Great thread by the way! Wealth of knowledge!
make it 117. the stock truck had the rear axle 1" forward of centered in the rear wheelwell. This was supposedly done so that when the truck had a heavy load the wheels would be centered. but who are we kidding, we would never put a heavy load in them! 117" is what you want.
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymangs View Post
make it 117. the stock truck had the rear axle 1" forward of centered in the rear wheelwell. This was supposedly done so that when the truck had a heavy load the wheels would be centered. but who are we kidding, we would never put a heavy load in them! 117" is what you want.

well and the angle of the s10 control arms up front pull the wheels back when you lower it, so going with 117 also helps that problem if you are planning on lowering it

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
motorhead153

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymangs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
well and the angle of the s10 control arms up front pull the wheels back when you lower it, so going with 117 also helps that problem if you are planning on lowering it
Great tips and info guys!! the most I might do with it is put a hitch on to pull our boat so yeah not a lot of weight is not going to be going in the back.

And I do plan on lowering it 3/4ish

I now have the cab off and have stripped the frame of all its unnecessary weight. The area that is joined from the factory is where be doing to cut.
motorhead153 is offline   Reply With Quote