The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2024, 05:04 PM   #1
AcampoDave

Kick panel vent delete

Today just for the heck of it i took out my vents and covered the openings with a piece of Kilmat. Wind noise was definetly reduced and i could tell there was way less cold air entering the cab. Motor noise stayed the same. My truck has good seals elsewhere but I never could find a decent seal for those vents. My truck has A/C and the passenger side is pretty much not an option anyway so i think I'm done with them.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM   #2
Grounded63

Re: Kick panel vent delete

The vintage air kits come with covers for those. Did your kit not include them ?
Grounded63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 07:05 PM   #3
AcampoDave

It came with one for the passenger side only. Its been on a while actually. It was the drivers side I did today. I just didn't make it clear in my original post. But to elaborate a bit more....Even thoigh the truck has good seals for the doors and windows, i always noticed that some wind noise seemed to be caused by air pressure wanting to escape the cab at speed. Since my cab is otherwise tight i suspected it was the blowby from the vent pressurizing the cabin. Since these trucks lack the air release flapper vents of their more modern brotheren it tries to get out anywhere it can (like the window channels next to my ear for example). I thought about getting some of those air check valves from a modern truck and putting them in but was afraid of opening up a can of worms if for some reason i didn't like it.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 02-16-2024 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:19 PM   #4
rideblue00

i replaced the seals in them, and I drive it here in the Michigan winters, so far not bad.
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 08:58 PM   #5
forestb

When I replace my vents with speakers I had a hard time shutting the doors because of air pressure. I could see the roof flex every time I shut the door so I installed some of those one way vents that new cars have instead. It worked well but now I don’t have a good place for extra speakers. When I used to have the normal vents I used to stick a peace of cardboard behind the vent during the winter.

When I rebuilt my vents before I realized that they would not work well with my ac I took the rivets out of the flat pieces that sandwich the gasket and bought some rubber from McMaster Carr that is meant to be repeatedly flexed. It worked great. I think I show the rebuild in my build thread.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 10:14 AM   #6
Cohi

Not to mention Vintage Air is way LOUD in it's own way. I've wondered if someone had come up with a way to quiet it a bit [other than turning it off ]. Killmat on the unit itself? Different air runners? Different vents? bigger turbo?
'66 C10 on GSI Bagged Chassis - in progress
'12 FLHR
'11 Custom Homebuilt Chop/Softail

Last edited by Cohi; 03-05-2024 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added.
Cohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 02:42 PM   #7
caseyjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohi View Post
Not to mention Vintage Air is way LOUD in it's own way. I've wondered if someone had come up with a way to quiet it a bit [other than turning it off ]. Killmat on the unit itself? Different air runners? Different vents? bigger turbo?
You're right, and nobody talks about how loud their blower motors are at low speed. Up here in the PNW I need to keep my cowl vent and window cracked just a little bit while driving to keep condensation from building up inside the cab.
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:47 PM   #8
AcampoDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohi View Post
First make a cover like post 13 on this thread: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=807520 then cover the underside of the old OEM dash speaker grill with Kilmat or something similar as some noise actually passes upward thru there and ricochets off the windshield. I did both of those. It's not a miracle, but it helps

Last edited by AcampoDave; 03-05-2024 at 08:55 PM.