The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
cochino12
It followed me home?

How will this setup be in snow?

This setup will be in my DD K5 with 35" a/t's the front is a detroit tru-track and the rear is a powertrax no slip unit.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
wildwood

The power-trax will never unlock in snow. It will have your truck fish tailing all over the place if you give it too much gas. That being said, I have one in the back of my truck and I find it OK. When you start to slide out just let up on the gas. Works for me. I have a Power-Lok up front on my truck. It kinda likes to go strait on ice but it's alright a tru-track might be better. All said, I don't think lockers are the best for snow and ice but you'll be alright.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:16 PM   #3
Grim Reaper

No slip in the rear will take some getting use to. You could swap the spiders back in in the winter. Then run with the hubs locked but in 2 Hi. Then if you need the traction go into 4wd. In snow and ise a loose limited slip is a little better the open or a no slip.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 04:39 PM   #4
cochino12
It followed me home?

So it sounds like as long as I stay off the skinny pedal it should be just fine for the snow/ics on the road.

How about the fun stuff like powder when I am off road?

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 09-02-2004, 08:12 PM   #5
wildwood

When your in deep snow, Lockers kick a$$. you'll be clearing the path for the others with that set-up. The only drawback is when your driving on a slant. the truck won't might want to slide. This would be the perfect time for a selectable locker. I have found the no-slip to be a fantastic locker. Although not nearly as quiet or as transperent as they said it would be on the web. But I've been running it with 38s on a 12-bolt and it hasn't broken yet.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

locked at both ends, and on ATs? whats the point?
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:34 PM   #7
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
locked at both ends, and on ATs? whats the point?

The point is "I dont know and that is why I am asking", I would like to make an informed decision before I pay someone to install this stuff. I am sorry if I dont have the knowledge or experience you do when it comes to 4wd's, that is why this forum is great it allows people to ask questions. This is my daily driver and I got what I think is a great deal on this stuff so I decided to buy it. I am not recommending you put it in your truck so if you dont like the setup please tell my why and let my know why you believe so. Thanks

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 09-02-2004, 11:50 PM   #8
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

oh, i thought you already had the stuff in your truck, my bad. putting lockers in a truck with ATs seems pointless to me because if you're in a position where you NEED a locker, 9 times out of 10, ATs arent going have enough bite to get you out anyways. i've heard lots of bad things about lockers on ice, and looping down the freeway at speed.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:01 AM   #9
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
oh, i thought you already had the stuff in your truck, my bad. putting lockers in a truck with ATs seems pointless to me because if you're in a position where you NEED a locker, 9 times out of 10, ATs arent going have enough bite to get you out anyways. i've heard lots of bad things about lockers on ice, and looping down the freeway at speed.
Ok I just re-read my post and didnt mean to sound like a total a-hole. I hear what you are saying about NEEDING a locker but isnt it better to have one than having an open diff? I bought the stuff listed above and gears front/rear for $250 so I am not worried about selling it and doing something else if it is the completely wrong setup for a DD

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
Old 09-03-2004, 11:29 AM   #10
wildwood

That's a good deal for those parts! I would definately put em in. ATs are usually better in snow and ice than MTs except deep snow. You would definately find that MT tires are the best off-road, and with the set-up your looking at putting in, I'd say your truch would do very well off-road. If your just using the truck on the street, I don't know if it's nessasary. I'll gladly pay you $250 for the posi and locker. If you do put em in, you can put the locker in yourself for sure. And with the right instructions and a lot of patience you can put the posi in too. If your changing gears at the same time you'll need the instruction and patience for both ends. If you need the instructions for the locker, I'll scan mine and email em to ya if you need.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:22 AM   #11
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

no problems with the sound of your post from me anyways, just words on the internet. honestly, if i were in your situation, i would ditch the detroit in the front. like i will be, you're pushing the limits of the 10 bolt front with a 35" tire to begin with, why press your luck even more with a locker?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:17 AM   #12
flatblackclassic

You mentioned it was your daily driver. I would save the money you would have spent on a locker and buy a beater 4x4 that you can take off-road.
flatblackclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:14 PM   #13
72k5

I spent most of my time in the big snow country of CA, and I lived in Gunnison, CO for some years where I had plenty of opportunity for cold weather testing. At the time, I had a Eaton posi in the rear of mine, and a Torsen in the front. I find that lockers or limited slips front and rear makes the vehicle too skittish to drive in 4wd on most paved or plowed roads. The thing will pull hard left or right as it sees fit. Of course, if traction is good enough to cause problems in 4wd, you don't need 4wd, right? But it is a pain when conditions are right on that margin.

Off road, no question- lock it up and it will go like hell.

I don't like wide tires in the snow. I have a set of 255/85R16 MTs (studded) that I much prefer. If it wasn't for the off-road use, I'd pick a less aggressive tread pattern - something between a MT and an A/T. Particularly with wetter snow, wide tires suck. I have often seen a set of 1250 mudders or A/Ts struggling to stay on the road, while a passenger car or SUV with stock all-season tires motors past. And if you hit a good strip of slush with the wide ones at speed - hold on!

Personally, I think if you want to improve the on-road manners of your rig, and try to keep the sheet metal straight until spring, forget about diffs and invest in a good set of real winter tires. Diffs do nothing to stop slides down hills, or avoid trees and errant vehicles. Better yet- if you can- get a good set of tires AND the lockers. Then you have 2wd for on road, and 4wd as a backup and for off-road, plus the good tires that make the whole thing much safer when you need to stop or turn.