The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2004, 01:49 AM   #1
bowtieman4life

Has anyone installed A4 in a 72 4x4?

I would like to run a 4 speed auto in my 1972 SBFS 4X4 without doing away with the 205 transfer case. Does anyone sell a conversion kit.

Thanks for the help.
bowtieman4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 08:06 PM   #2
72k5

If I understand your question, what you are looking for is a 700r4 conversion. This is a very common mod - just look for it in the signatures. It is also a very worthwhile mod IMHO. A lower 1st and a 4th that will keep up with the higher traffic speeds today are great things. Some of the drag race crowd doesn't like the larger steps between gears, but they seem to be the main detractors.

Obviously, you will need a 700r4 out of a later 4X4, then there are the following issues to deal with:

The engine needs to go forward 1 3/4" or the TC needs to go back that much. I recommend moving the engine forward. On our vintage trucks, just the ease of working on the truck with the engine further from the firewall is worth the price of admission on this one. Plus, no driveshaft costs.

Strength is an issue with the 700R4. You need to make sure your 700r4 has the proper upgrades. Particularly, early model 700r4s were hand grenades with the pin not included.

The 700r4 needs a special output shaft for the NP205. I'm using one from Advance Adapters. Builders who do performance trannies will have them in stock.

Possibly most importantly, you need to install a TV cable and pull linkage to control the trans. I recommend that, if you can, you get this setup from whoever is warranting your transmission. This MUST be done correctly. If you have a problem, you will be glad that your trans supplier cannot point their finger at someone elses cable setup.

Ididit offers a plastic piece that will convert your PRNDLL to PRNODLL. I found that I needed to sand it down some to get it to fit, but it is a clean setup.

Because I moved the engine forward, I had to rotate the bracket for the shifter linkage forward to line up, and drill one new hole in the frame.

You need to replace the brake switch, and route wires to control the lockup converter.
- Pretty easy.

The 700r4 seems to require considerably more cooling than the TH350. If you add a stacked plate cooler, make sure it is not one of the newer style that has an internal bypass (some B&M, etc.).

Those are the main things, from the top of my head. Too bad the search is kaput, much has been documented here about this very swap.

Links with good reading:
www.700R4.com
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/Al...nsmissions.htm
http://www.streetrodding.com/forum/v...um=5&Topic=271

If you have further questions, ask!

BTW, you'll probably get a better response on this topic in the engine and drivetrain forum.

ABOVE ALL, WELCOME TO THE BOARD. There is lots of good info here.
Mike

Last edited by 72k5; 09-13-2004 at 08:23 PM.
72k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:05 AM   #3
bowtieman4life

Thanks

Old 09-14-2004, 07:56 AM   #4
drink2mny

That is great info from 72k5.
The only other option for connecting the tranny and transfer case is using a stock GM adapter for the t350/np205.
It is a little cheaper or alot cheaper depending where you get an adapter.
If I have one I usually sell them for about 200.00.
alot cheaper than advance adapters

Just a little modification is needed for it to work.
I know other guys on here have done it. I am waiting for winter to hit mine up.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
bowtieman4life

I have a t350

It use to be a 4 speed but the guy I bought it from swapped out the 350 and the 4 speed and installed a 385 stroker and a t350 with a 2400 stall. Will the adapter I have work for the 700r4 swap.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2004, 01:09 PM   #6
72k5

I would think that if the adapter you had worked for the TH350, it would work with a 700R4, as long as the 700R4 has the special output shaft in it. ie - I'm guessing that the last guy would have changed the adapter to a TH350 unit from the 4 speed unit the truck came with. Just a guess, though.