The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2004, 02:00 PM   #1
PbFlinger

Roller wheel bearing conversion

Hello all! I'm interested in converting to roller front wheel bearings on my '56 1/2 ton. I'm wondering why the conversion kits are so expensive. Are they special bearings, standard bearings modified in some way, or just regular 'ol wheel bearings repackaged for a huge profit? I'm concerned about available replacement bearings in the future. (What happens if I ever wound a bearing for some reason?) Can anybody tell me what bearing & seal numbers are used? Thanks!

Happy motoring, Flinger.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:19 AM   #2
Coleman396

Pricey Bearings

Hi. I too priced out the bearings for my truck. Wow! I thought the jobber price was way too high so I tried the local bearing distributor seeings how I already had the part numbers from the jobber.
They were almost as much from there so I guess those are just a rare or not often used bearing. If you want to go with rollers you gotta pay the price.
I actually bought a disc brake conversion for my truck and the roller bearings are part of the kit so that was really the way to go for me. Good luck.
Coleman396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 12:49 PM   #3
PbFlinger

Hi Coleman, thanks for the reply. I've considered the disc brake swap too. How do you like yours? Did you have to make any other modifications to your truck to install them? What sort of master cylinder setup are you running?
I have some of the same parts availability concerns with this swap as well. Are replacement rotors/calipers/wheel bearings etc. over the counter items?
I don't like the idea of putting specialty parts on the truck that I can't get local replacements for.
Thanks for any input you can offer.

Happy motoring, Flinger.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:05 PM   #4
Coleman396

Disc Conversion

Hi Flinger.
I am really pleased with the disc brake conversion. It is just a bolt on deal and can be done quite easily.
Mine has the smaller nine inch rotors and still stops really well.
The calipers etc are all g.m. style just like a chevelle or Nova would use so parts are a breeze to find.
I am actually using a power booster and dual master cylinder from a late 80's Jeep Cherokee. It worked really well due to the compact size but it is mounted on the firewall. I don't know if you want to stick with the original style under the floor type but if not I would certainly recommend using the whole setup from the JEEP.
They are plentiful and the booster is small enough to allow your hood hinge to clear it. Hopefully this helps you. If you need more info just ask and I will help if I can. Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2004, 10:49 PM   #5
Blue Beard

Does anyone know if this conversion would be available for standard drum brakes?
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 11:22 PM   #6
Coleman396

That is what the conversion is for. Trucks that came with drum brakes. You can run them with or without power. That choice is all yours. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2004, 02:30 AM   #7
57CAMEO3124

Can anyone tell me if anyone offers the Disc for the conversion in a 6 lug pattern.

Thanks
Richard
57CAMEO3124 is offline   Reply With Quote