The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #1
spectral

Inner fender firewall brackets

Hi again all,

Sorry for the newbie questions lately..

On the firewall, the inner fender brackets (90 degree ones, with 2 small bolts onto firewall and one large bolt onto inner fender).. on the driver side, the bracket is on the wheel side of the fender. On the passenger side, its on the engine bay side.. is this normal, or has someone put my truck back together a bit weird?

I don't have a detailed factory shop manual for the truck (56 3100) unfortunately and can't find conclusive pics on google

Thanks in advance
spectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
spectral

Re: Inner fender firewall brackets

Just to add some more detail..

My issue is that the clutch mechanism is rubbing on the inner fender. Thats when i noticed the bracket is on the wheel side. The lower edge of the inner fender was angling in towards the frame rail, it was not parallel to the frame rail like the passenger side was.

Curiousity got the better of me, and I undid the bracket, and flipped it, so the bracket is on the engine bay side. It gave me an instant inch or so of clearance around the clutch, and also the fender is now parallel to the frame rail to match the passenger side.

Could my inner fender be a poor quality repo part that has got the mounting "bump/boss" (hard to describe) on the wrong side?

Picture below is with the bracket now on the inside, which i believe is not factory...
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2016, 03:37 AM   #3
Iceman_70

I once had a similar question ...

they're both mounted in the same way, so not mirrored :

I thought it was wrong as well since the gaps between the frame and the inner fenders were different ... I ended up 'bending' the inner fender on the drivers side, to get the gaps even ...

<update> the snip of my assembly manual doesn't show ... link here
Iceman_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
spectral

Thanks for the reply - agreed, my options are to bend the fender or mount it mirror image to the passenger side. I'll figure out which one works/looks better and go for it. From this though, I am assuming my inner fenders are not original! Judging by the rubbing marks on the clutch lever, its been like this for quite some time.. mega dodgy.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectral View Post
Hi again all,

Sorry for the newbie questions lately..

On the firewall, the inner fender brackets (90 degree ones, with 2 small bolts onto firewall and one large bolt onto inner fender).. on the driver side, the bracket is on the wheel side of the fender. On the passenger side, its on the engine bay side.. is this normal, or has someone put my truck back together a bit weird?

I don't have a detailed factory shop manual for the truck (56 3100) unfortunately and can't find conclusive pics on google

Thanks in advance
I can't see for sure, but do your lower inner fender brackets recess into the inner fender? My inner fenders have a recession in them where the brackets set back into them. From your picture it appears this isn't the case.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #6
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

I believe they are both mounted with the nut on the right as you look at them from the front.

Attached Images

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote