The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #26
gigamanx

Re: Identify a 1949 truck with no cab plate

I totally want to haul stuff and tow. I'm actually curious about these weight ratings. I understand that the 4600lbs is based on the weight of the towing vehicle, not on how much it can pull. The reason I ask is that many of you are boxing frames, adding cross members, and better brakes. It would seem they could tow more than the stock '49 would especially with a Chevy 350 in them. Is there even a way to change that tow rating?

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #27
OrrieG

Different load ratings correspond to frame specs, spring specs, and axles. The link in my signature lands you on the Factory design specs for a TF, scroll down to year index and pick 1949. then look at the index for frame info. There is a chart that lists the frame size, metal guage, spring specs and axles for each class of truck.

That said a "half-ton" truck will haul a lot more. I drug mine around the mountains with a full loaded slide on camper that probably weighed 850+ pounds. After I converted over to 4wd I once rolled across the dump scales with a bed full of concrete and rock at 6500#, the bed was almost dragging and springs flat. Key is to get a good frame mounted hitch, I used a Class 3, that will allow for a reasonable tongue weight. Then you need to make sure your trailer meets the same specs. Trailer should not exceed 75% of your tow vehicle weight or it will be pushing the truck around on hills and corners, not a good thing. I set mine up so I can add an electric trailer brake set up too.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #28
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
do you have a friend / relative in another state that you can register the truck at their address ? then in a year after you have a title "move" to PA & get the truck registered there ? I know its a bit suspect but it seems like a way to beat the PA rules.
Now I remember why we called it Penn-slo-mania
This will not work, trust me, Pa has to look at every vin tag in person.

Iv'e been through this on EVERY vehicle I have owned (It SUCKS)

Even the tag and title services walk out to the parking lot and look at the vin plates.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #29
gigamanx

It actually turned out to be pretty easy to follow the official way to handle PA. I used AAA because they knew the nuances of PA laws. Oddly enough, the classic title plate requests are still a manual process as opposed to the more automated process of submitting a standard car. I added to this complication by having an out of state title to transfer and a title that had no load information.

The solution:
1. Get an independent mechanic to verify the vin plate and fill out the form for VIN/load verification (MV-41 I think)
2. Get the same guy to validate the cab plate is the same as the title and fill out a second VIN/load verification form
3. Get insurance. Hagerty worked for me.
4. Fill out form MV-11

Took about 3 weeks and that was over Christmas holidays! Not bad.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #30
mr48chev

Cool beans, I think that the big problem for a lot of guys is that they want instant gratification and aren't willing to do the leg work or go step by step by the numbers.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:30 AM   #31
Desert1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
It actually turned out to be pretty easy to follow the official way to handle PA. I used AAA because they knew the nuances of PA laws. Oddly enough, the classic title plate requests are still a manual process as opposed to the more automated process of submitting a standard car. I added to this complication by having an out of state title to transfer and a title that had no load information.

The solution:
1. Get an independent mechanic to verify the vin plate and fill out the form for VIN/load verification (MV-41 I think)
2. Get the same guy to validate the cab plate is the same as the title and fill out a second VIN/load verification form
3. Get insurance. Hagerty worked for me.
4. Fill out form MV-11

Took about 3 weeks and that was over Christmas holidays! Not bad.
Congrats on your success!

maybe I will hire you to get mine next time, LOL.

I will try your suggestions next time, I do appreciate the details.