The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
skymangs

Project "Sweet 16"

This is a joint project my 14yr old son and I are undertaking for his 16th Birthday. The truck is a 47 3600 5 window Chevrolet, purchased by me when I was 14. I found it pretty cool that he chose my first truck to become his first truck.

After lots of research on this board, Michael decided that he wanted to go with an S10 frame, 350/700R4 combo and leave the body in it's original farm truck glory. This will be a extremely tight budget build. There are no "barter deals" with go fast parts I happen to have lying around. Everything will be paid cash, and as Low buck as I can make it. Goal for this build is 3-4 Thousand to "finished" truck.
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
skymangs

Re: Project "Sweet 16"

First project was to find a suitable frame and running gear. Struck a deal with a local shop for a 2wd, short cab, long bed 91 S10 that already had a 4x4 rear axle installed. The deal was that Michael and I strip the complete truck, and give the owner $150 for complete frame/suspension. The owner included the booster and master cylinder with the deal, as well as a few other needed parts.

We spent about a day and a half removing front sheet metal, box, cab, and motor/trans. And hauled it home.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
skymangs

Scored a SWEET deal on Craigslist yesterday on a full set of 17x8 Torque thrust II's with tires for $325. The rear tires are too small for our project, but I can replace them later with the 295/40R 17s He wants.

Also have a line on an 18,000 mile GM Goodrench Re-man 350 for $200 and a 55,000mi 700R4 for another $150. (both from a trusted source). So far total investment is $475 for chassis and wheels/tires, with another anticipated $350 for engine/trans. We're looking pretty good on our $4000 budget!

First pic is Michael installing his new wheels, second is the chassis on the Torque thrusts.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
skymangs

Next step is to secure the engine/trans, then go get the truck. (47 is in storage in Central Iowa). I wanted to get the important pieces together before I filled my garage with it!

Plans for engine are simple. No hi-po stuff, 16yr old doesn't need it... Stock motor with a 262/272 cam (for a little lope), some dress up stuff, and maybe block huggers, or S10 conversion headers. Clean it, re-seal it, paint it up, and run it. Everything is going to be done right in our garage, spending extra time to save $$$.

We should have the driveline by the end of next week, to start cleaning it up. Enjoy!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
pinecrest

Sounds like a great project! I'm looking forward to your updates

-Jeff
pinecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
skymangs

Thanks Jeff, I know it isn't anything new or cutting edge, but it's his first build so we thought it appropriate to do a thread.

I didn't mention it earlier, but the reason for the tight budget is because he is responsible for half of the cost. I wanted him to have his own money invested in it. Might make him think twice before cracking that beer before driving home someday...
Old 09-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
mknittle

Looking good so far you are off to a great start.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
pinecrest

It's important to him, I'm sure. There will be a lot of great lessons and bonding.

I always wanted to do a car (or truck) with my Dad. We looked into a few projects, but never found "the one." I'm 36, and STILL long to get him involved in my build.

I just think it's an awesome Father/Son thing to do. Good for you!
pinecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
skymangs

Yeah, I've never really built one with my dad either. I'm 35, and still hoping to get to it one day. With being military, I move around a lot and am never very close to home. I did however build a 64 Riviera for him about 10 years back.

at 14, it's a matter of keeping him motivated. This is a pretty big project for a youngster. easy to get discouraged.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
99 to Life

Cool project, not many people have the opportunity you have to build something with your son, especially something with soo much sentimental value.

My rule of thumb is always double your time and projected cost.

For me though, I'm def thrifty, but somethings I can't let slide. It's crazy how much of the little things add up.

How about some pics of your truck?

are you going to coat the frame? My suggestion, def do it while you have it stripped. Good luck and have fun.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
skymangs

No pics of the truck yet. need to go get it from storage in the next 3 weeks or so.

I'm pretty good at being realistic about time/money invested. Here is a pic of my last Chevy project. Car was a free running basketcase when I got it. Total investment to where it is today was $3000. I did my own paint, interior, engine work, and top. Car is reliable and clean, turns lots of heads.

On the chassis. Yes, we are planning on cleaning it up and painting it after all the body mounts, motor mounts, etc. are located and welded.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #12
Russell Ashley

Skyman, doing a restoration project with a teenage son is a huge mistake. I made that mistake when my son was fifteen. I bought him a 69 Road Runner that was a theft recovery and we restored it together, finished it just when he got his license. He loved that car, but I turned my own son into a complete CAR GUY!!! He's even been accused of being a MOTOR HEAD.. Now he's as miserable as the rest of us, always working on some restoration, always wanting something else just as we finish our current project, always needing just a little more money than we have. It never ends. Now he owns a body shop and has a 69 GTO, a 70 Camaro, and a 72 TransAm under construction, and a 68 GTO convertible waiting to be restored. It's a sickness being a car guy, see what you are setting your son up for, LOL

Only kiddig of course. Restoring that 69 Road Runner was a great time for him and me and he still talks about it. My youngest son was a Moto-Cross racer and wanted a truck so he and I restored a 69 Chevy C/10 together. Those were good times.

You will enjoy the time together. Good luck with the restoration, It's too bad that more young boys don't have an opportunity like that.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
mknittle

I love it when a plan comes together! lookin good!

My GMC build.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:01 AM   #14
skymangs

Well, went to Iowa and picked up the truck this weekend. Here's some before pics. Very solid truck, couple dents in the front fenders, but I think I can massage those out without damaging the old paint too much. The side windows are both shot out, but I pulled the drivers windshield (gasket was falling apart) so we wouldn't lose it on the road. Really no rust to speak of, been off highway since 1977, stored indoors since 1992 when I bought it.

Oh, and it has AWESOME Patina....
Attached Images

Last edited by skymangs; 09-17-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #15
skymangs

Here's a shot of the odometer... Not sure, but in my experience the numbers are always mis-aligned once it rolls over. These look very straight.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
skymangs

So we got home about 5pm, unloaded it in the garage and got to work. Tonight we got the front end apart, seat out, doors off, etc. Heres a couple pics. Fenders and core support are now off, didn't take another pic though (too late) hoping to get the cab of tomorrow or tuesday to mock up on the S10 chassis. So far I haven't found any rust in the cowl or behind the front fenders. Just one carrage bolt and sqaure nut inside the fender (Farmers fix I'm sure) Will be a PITA, since I'll have to cut it off. We've broken about 6 or 8 bolts (fenders to cab, pretty standard), but it's coming apart nicely. I did find a little rust in one cab corner. I'll take a pic tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #17
skymangs

Pretty soon we're gonna have to start looking for a quasi matching faded red box... not looking forward to that search. I did see one in Omaha that may fill the bill though.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #18
spousta

What's your plans for a truck bed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #19
seanery

I'm interested in the fan question. I'm putting a Buick 401 in mine and plan on an electric fan. I would assume it to be at least as good as the stock fan, plus, with a thermostat it can stay on and cool the radiator after the ignition is off.
Posted via Mobile Device
seanery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #20
skymangs

Nice, a nailhead.... Had a 64 Riv with a 425 for awhile. Loved it. I have run electric on several cars. my 69 GS had a dual fan from a late 90's Camaro, it kept cool in traffic, but we won't have the room for that setup on this project. My rock crawler runs a 16" electric, but it gets hot after 2 or 3 hours of wheeling. Just don't want to build him something that isn't reliable.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #21
99 to Life

coming along nice. I fabbed my own rad support and angled it. Running Efan as well. I'd get the bed and fenders on and move everything as a whole. That will def dictated where everything will fall, but seeings you don't have them and or running boards you'll have to compromise. As far as height, I used drop spindles and blocks, so I'm lower than you. But I'm about 4" total off frame and my truck sits really low. Looks like you are right about where you need to be, but every inch will count when it comes to running an mechanical vs. Efan. Lastly, I and about everyone I have seen ended up cutting the front frame horns off, right at the PWS pump. For the back half of the frame I think I cut 5" off.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #22
skymangs

Thanks 99, I really like your build as well. I'm glad to hear we are on the right track as far as cab placement and ride height go. After much deliberation, Michael and I have decided to go ahead and push the motor back 2 inches. (might as well make some space up there while we have it apart). That should help with manifold/header clearance.

I was tracking on cutting the frame horns right in front of the steering box, just wanted to get the cab lined up before I cut anything (Just a rule of thumb for me).

We are going to modify the stock support and angle it. Run an aluminum radiator and 16" puller fan. That should keep it cool if he runs a 160 deg stat in the summer.

We are also planning to run 2" drop spindles and 3" blocks, but I didn't want to modify any suspension till I see how it sits on the new frame. Didnt get too much done today. made templates for body mount brackets and started cutting them out of 14ga. steel. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #23
skymangs

Well, spent the last 2 evenings building the Cab mount brackets... I went a little different than most. Seems majority use square tube (sometimes 3/16 or 1/4" even)... I decided to make mine out of 14 gauge sheet, and box them in really nicely. That's a total of 20 individual pieces of steel, cut with a air cut off... very slow. I miss my plasma and Craftsman professional compressor from my shop in Colorado!

All finished, except the 2 1/4" holes for the S10 body mounts. Gonna tack them in place, and drill them on the frame I think.

Still on the fence about re-locating the drivetrain, trying to decide if I gain much room for headers, or just lose room for the steering shaft by moving it back.

Here's a couple pics of the brackets.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #24
mknittle

Looking good

My GMC build.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
mknittle

I live within an hour of fordice creek and the rubicon trails.We don't do much rock crawling though.we go out in the Tahoe and Eldorado natonal forests more{less people}
Here is my 42' willys. i got it rebacktgether last summer.Nothing fancy!
buick 231 Sm420 dana 18/20 hybred 4.88 geared 44s both ends.
Attached Images

My GMC build.