The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
ericpost

Best way to lift 6 inches?

FOR THE REAR:
I want to go with either the DIY or ORD shackle flip and 56" spings. How would I get the other 2"? I have 2" blocks laying around which means I can get some junkyard springs. I also could probably get a longer shackle and 1 inch zero rate block, that would actually let me relocate the axle. I suppose I could always get some new springs with 2" lift...

FOR THE FRONT
I don't think I have many options other than 6" springs, not very fond of the result but the effort and cash outlay is appealing. I like the idea of going with a new spring mount and 52" springs (DIY has them, is there a real DIY thread out there for this?) but that seems like a work and more cash which I don't think I'm into right now. Plus that only gets me 4" which means I need new 2" springs.

Anyone have some suggestions? I want to run either 39.5" or 41" IROKS without a nosebleed lift.

Any feedback on ORD vs DIY?
96 HD FatBoy evo with 102hp/100tq (mine!)
KEEP NOTHING STOCK!
ericpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
Chevy1TonFun
Grease Monkey

Re: Best way to lift 6 inches?

I'd would go with new springs. I've had issues with axle wrap when using old spring and lift blocks. To fit 39s or bigger you will have to trim the heck out of your fenders. I have a 12" lift and fit 39s. I still hit the fenders from time to time. With a 6" lift you should fit 35s.
FOR SALE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ton-4x4&cat=12
Chevy1TonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
ericpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' High View Post
I'd would go with new springs. I've had issues with axle wrap when using old spring and lift blocks. To fit 39s or bigger you will have to trim the heck out of your fenders. I have a 12" lift and fit 39s. I still hit the fenders from time to time. With a 6" lift you should fit 35s.
I'm attempting to get some reasonable flex which is why I'm thinking longer springs.

The rear seems like a no brainer and in the end I'll probably do a 4" shackle flip and new 56" 2" lift softrides. If anyone has suggestions on springs and associated part/pieces please send them along....

The front end looks like it sux to replace the spring hanger plus I have some frame real estate issues which I could probably work around but makes the job that much more of a pain. Going with a 6" spring lift negates the "flex" I'm looking for but it certainly helps get the job done faster and with a ton less effort. I'm not throwing in the towel yet which is why I'm looking for some ideas from the forum members. I guess I'll start at the rear and see how I feel about my torches and air chisel after that effort.

As far as lift/tire goes I have zero problem trimming to get the tires stuffed in there. I might get some aftermarket or previously abused fenders to stick on since the ones I have are primo but I plan to wheel the rig so not sure why I'd bother. I also don't consider the amount of trimming to be drastic based on some of the "trim jobs" I've seen on this site and others. I also have a need to fit the truck in the garage lift/time combo limitiation!

Here is an example of what needs to be trimmed to stuff 39.5's with 6" (thanks again VTBlazer)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=310753
KEEP NOTHING STOCK!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
og350

i have a 71 with 56" in the rear already but i was thinking of going with the ord flip and 2" lifted 62" springs. just not sure if that would be too long..? in the front the diy fb52 mount looks like the ticket!! i was going to use a 6" lifted 52" spring for mine. i am not looking to run that big of tires but i want it to be tall with a better ride. i was told longer springs will do that is that right before i spend the money?
i like the ord rear flip kit better then the diy they just look a little beefier but i have not used either one yet. post some pictures for us if you start it!!!
og350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
drbyrdman

i am doing the diy 4x4 rear flip and b52 front. and got the 6" shackles for both ends coming soon.all i did was go to the junk yard and got rear 52" blazer springs for the front and 56" rear suburban for the back. right now i am taking out all the rivets in the frame and replacing them with grade 8 7/16 bolts. (all the rivets) it is time comsuming but will be worth it when done. all 4 springs cost me 90 bucks. and all you need to do is replace the bushings, paint them and add or subtract leafs to get the lift you want. you can call kurt at diy 4x4 and he will help you out with what you want to do.
drbyrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpost View Post
I'm attempting to get some reasonable flex which is why I'm thinking longer springs.

The rear seems like a no brainer and in the end I'll probably do a 4" shackle flip and new 56" 2" lift softrides. If anyone has suggestions on springs and associated part/pieces please send them along....

The front end looks like it sux to replace the spring hanger plus I have some frame real estate issues which I could probably work around but makes the job that much more of a pain. Going with a 6" spring lift negates the "flex" I'm looking for but it certainly helps get the job done faster and with a ton less effort. I'm not throwing in the towel yet which is why I'm looking for some ideas from the forum members. I guess I'll start at the rear and see how I feel about my torches and air chisel after that effort.

As far as lift/tire goes I have zero problem trimming to get the tires stuffed in there. I might get some aftermarket or previously abused fenders to stick on since the ones I have are primo but I plan to wheel the rig so not sure why I'd bother. I also don't consider the amount of trimming to be drastic based on some of the "trim jobs" I've seen on this site and others. I also have a need to fit the truck in the garage lift/time combo limitiation!

Here is an example of what needs to be trimmed to stuff 39.5's with 6" (thanks again VTBlazer)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=310753

Make those 4" lift 56" long springs... it's what I did on VtBlazer's blue blazer and the K5 I am building.

You lose lift by flipping the flip brackets around. You need to flip the spring brackets to fit the longer springs. There are a ton of pictures in the build threads for both the K5 in my garage today as well as my C/K conversion. They both got 52" springs in the front and longer springs in the rear with a shackle flip.

To all the posters, longer springs are always better.

The longest I've seen on our trucks with readily available brackets is a 57" long, Ford F150 rear spring (I think it's this current generation 99-08).

In the K5 build thread, I used a ORD set up. In the C/K conversion, I used the DIY4x one. Both got the FGBY52 kit in the front.

Last edited by FormerMember; 11-15-2008 at 11:55 AM.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
ericpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbyrdman View Post
i am doing the diy 4x4 rear flip and b52 front. and got the 6" shackles for both ends coming soon.all i did was go to the junk yard and got rear 52" blazer springs for the front and 56" rear suburban for the back. right now i am taking out all the rivets in the frame and replacing them with grade 8 7/16 bolts. (all the rivets) it is time comsuming but will be worth it when done. all 4 springs cost me 90 bucks. and all you need to do is replace the bushings, paint them and add or subtract leafs to get the lift you want. you can call kurt at diy 4x4 and he will help you out with what you want to do.

How much lift is this combo worth for the rear? I calculate about 5" without extra leafs. I'm probably going with the 4.5" shackle. If I decide on stock springs maybe I'd be better off with the 6" shackle and then adding "1" zero rate lift blocks" that both DIY and ORD have, this will allow me to relocate the axle if needed... Interesting option, is the pinion angle or lengthy shackle going to be a concern?

That also calculates to about 5" for the front, are you going to try to get another inch with add a leaf? This is definately the way I want to go but it looks a little daunting in terms of effort and like I said have a pretty busy frame front as it is..... I guess I could move my bumper brakets to the inside of the frame, that should help..... detail details details...

Let me know how the rear shackle flip goes. I'm guessing you are swaping the shackle mounts to get the extra 4" you need. I'm curious to see if you are drilling more holes in the frame or not... Not that it really matters but nice to know since I'll pick up a few extra drill bits while I'm in town!
KEEP NOTHING STOCK!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
How much lift is this combo worth for the rear? I calculate about 5" without extra leafs. I'm probably going with the 4.5" shackle. If I decide on stock springs maybe I'd be better off with the 6" shackle and then adding "1" zero rate lift blocks" that both DIY and ORD have, this will allow me to relocate the axle if needed... Interesting option, is the pinion angle or lengthy shackle going to be a concern?

That also calculates to about 5" for the front, are you going to try to get another inch with add a leaf? This is definately the way I want to go but it looks a little daunting in terms of effort and like I said have a pretty busy frame front as it is..... I guess I could move my bumper brakets to the inside of the frame, that should help..... detail details details...

Let me know how the rear shackle flip goes. I'm guessing you are swaping the shackle mounts to get the extra 4" you need. I'm curious to see if you are drilling more holes in the frame or not... Not that it really matters but nice to know since I'll pick up a few extra drill bits while I'm in town!
I got 6" in the front, with the 52" rear blazer springs and the DIY4X kit on the Blazer. Shackle flip in the rear was completely bolt on. I used 4" lift 56" long SkyJacker leaves in the rear and got 6" of lift total, with a standard 6" long shackle in the rear.

The C/K used a set of 3/4 ton 52" springs and netted 6" but it's allot heavier on the front end.

Last edited by FormerMember; 11-15-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
ericpost

So I lose 2" by using the shackle mounts opposite sides. Now that I look at them makes perfect sense! Thanks for the tip.
KEEP NOTHING STOCK!
Old 11-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
So I lose 2" by using the shackle mounts opposite sides. Now that I look at them makes perfect sense! Thanks for the tip.
Yep. Pretty much both blazers I did (the gold one in my thread and Kurt's blue K5) stretched the springs out a fair bit. Ran 3/4 ton Skyjacker in both those builds.

The C/K 30's spring pack is a much different story, but the spring pack itself is more than 3" thick.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
ericpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post
I got 6" in the front, with the 52" rear blazer springs and the DIY4X kit on the Blazer. Shackle flip in the rear was completely bolt on. I used 4" lift 56" long SkyJacker leaves in the rear and got 6" of lift total, with a standard 6" long shackle in the rear.

The C/K used a set of 3/4 ton 52" springs and netted 6" but it's allot heavier on the front end.

Well there you have it. I guess I'll call Kurt and order the FGB52 and the 6" shackle flip kit. That will make sure I don't wuss out which honestly was the direction I was headed.

My guess is I should stick to the 52" from the rear of a blazer, keeps the ride quality there and should allow for a bit more flex too I assume.
KEEP NOTHING STOCK!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
Well there you have it. I guess I'll call Kurt and order the FGB52 and the 6" shackle flip kit. That will make sure I don't wuss out which honestly was the direction I was headed.

My guess is I should stick to the 52" from the rear of a blazer, keeps the ride quality there and should allow for a bit more flex too I assume.
Let me know if you want help installing. I have all the tools, a heated garage, a bit of experience and some free time.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
ericpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post
Let me know if you want help installing. I have all the tools, a heated garage, a bit of experience and some free time.
Not many places you can find a guy willing to volunteer some time hack off rivets with you.... I equate that to helping someone with roofing a home in August! Thanks I might just take you up on that offer!

I plan to button up the 1 ton axle swap this weekend (I just knew I wouldn't get around to mounting the front hitch!) and order up the parts for the lift.
KEEP NOTHING STOCK!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Quote:
Not many places you can find a guy willing to volunteer some time hack off rivets with you.... I equate that to helping someone with roofing a home in August! Thanks I might just take you up on that offer!

I plan to button up the 1 ton axle swap this weekend (I just knew I wouldn't get around to mounting the front hitch!) and order up the parts for the lift.
plasma cutter and a air hammer and I can have the old brackets off in less than 10 minutes.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #15
ericpost

Sounds like a good deal to me! I'll load it up and bring the pizza and beer once I gather the stuff.
KEEP NOTHING STOCK!