The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #26
howell57

Re: ignition coil resistor

Everything on this wiring harness goes through the ECU and then to the starter. There will be a large cable going to the positive side of the starter and the connection is already made from harness to plug in terminal on the starter.
I only have 12 volt constant (pink) red to purple, trans wire to brake, green to rad fan assembly, and a ground to hook up on this harness.
Once I hook up positive wire from battery to alternator, the ECU will have constant power and the pink wire is basically my RUN wire and is used to turn engine off.
Mitch from Swaptimeusa.com has a good video of how these harnesses work.
howell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #27
howell57

I'm still looking for the wire that is hot in pre-start and crank. Tested ones I thought to be the wire. This wire goes to a L83 ECM. Previous engine had an HEI.

Last edited by howell57; 09-27-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #28
howell57

Got a new L83 and harness from Swaptimeusa. I've got a purple wire to connect to harness purple and I'm still looking for wire that is hot only on run and crank. Tested most every wire for hot only on run and crank. Previous engine had an HEI. What am I missing?
Old 09-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #29
vince1

Could that brown with white tracer be for the 'idiot' light in the dash?

I like the HEI too but as for reliability I did fry a module coming over the Coquihalla highway on a hot day after just having bought the vehicle. I also recently had a pick up coil fail after having the truck (different vehicle) on a charger overnight. I had less than 100 miles on that engine. With the HEI in the straight six I never had a problem and with a gear change I plan on using it as a spare for an AMC 232, which has had the Petronix in it for a few years now.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote