The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
C.Lion

Bent Pushrods at least 2 after valve adjustment

Hi, where to start...
1977 G20 292 with 400 trany
Last summer I was dining some tune-up work, new oil, fuel pump, I put a 250 Nova inteke and exuast maniflold on because the exàust manifold was cracked and I bought a new distributor.
There wasn't a problem with the old distributor but it had a remote coil and I thought the new one was less wires and generally more clean.

At that time I did adjust the valves and they sounded great. Shortly after that I ran out of gas. I have owned the van for a number of years and the guy who sold it to me said allways keep half a tank in there. Right now I'm using a metal can and siphoning a tube going directly to the fuel pump.

I got a piston stop and the mark is correct on the harmonic balancer I was a little surprised. I was trying to get the new distributor in there but it is a big one. I specifically asked the shop I bought it from if it fit. It fits but in my application it doesn't rotate hardly at all before hitting the side panel. So I went back to old distributor. I wants to start ..but can't get it to start. Then I pulled the Pushrods to check for straightness. The intake for one and three and bent. You can't tell by looking at them but rolling they definitely as bent

I have ordered two new ones.
Can I just put replace the bent ones?

My fear is that the bent Pushrods came from overtighting the rocker arms.
I was going to replace pushrods readjust the lifters careful not to overtighten.
Also number 2 and 5 were lubritaed, but none of the other ones were. I figured by now with enough cranking they would be.
I don't have a spare distributor shaft to prime, can I just do it by screwdriver?

Help, I don't know what I should do. I have enough for a new cam and lifters, but how do I find out without pulling the engine. Sorry so long.
Thanks,
C
C.Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:18 AM   #2
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

Re: Bent Pushrods at least 2 after valve adjustment

Need to call in the timing expert on this one..... before you spend your money maybe do a few tests/checks. Compression and leak test ? make sure you have the dizzy stabbed right, check one item at a time. Good Luck !!!!!!

Timing experts and valve adjusters needed... please chime it and help this guy out !!!!!!!

Last edited by YoungPup1977; 03-31-2019 at 06:18 PM.
YoungPup1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
garyd1961

You need to find someone who knows how to adjust valves and set timing to give you a hand.
Sorry for the short answer but I'm at work.
Ok, at home now. We may could probably talk you through setting the timing but trying to talk you through setting the timing and adjusting the valves over the net would not be easy plus we can't tell what else you might have wrong. I would strongly suggest you find someone who can help you get it straightened out. That way you can watch and learn. Heck, make it a cookout and invite a couple friends over who have a little more knowledge to help you fix the van, eat some burgers and drink some beer.
Just a suggestion.

Last edited by garyd1961; 04-01-2019 at 07:14 PM.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

no timing experts wanted any burgers, normally there are people all over the timing, valve adjusting threads Maybe put some steaks on the grill...…..
Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
garyd1961

Ou
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 View Post
no timing experts wanted any burgers, normally there are people all over the timing, valve adjusting threads Maybe put some steaks on the grill...…..
I don't mean to sound like a jerk but it's obvious that the OP has gotten in over his head on this. It would be a lot easier if he had some hands on help.
I would loosen all the valves/rockets get the #1 piston TDC on the compression stroke install the distributor then go through and adjust all the valves. Maybe someone on here can talk him through this one problem at a time but it would be a lot easier if someone was there to see exactly what's going on.
Maybe someone on here is close enough to stop by and give a hand.

On second thought he probably should do the valves first so he will know for sure it's on the compression stroke when he installs the distributor.

Last edited by garyd1961; 04-15-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #6
'63GENIII

No reply after the first post.. Maybe the OP figured it out?

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:50 PM   #7
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

I was told he got food poisoning from eating the hamburgers that his friend cooked for him. Video is on youtube….
Old 04-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #8
garyd1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPup1977 View Post
I was told he got food poisoning from eating the hamburgers that his friend cooked for him. Video is on youtube….
That's where he messed up, his friend should have been working on the truck while he cooked the burgers, some people just can't get anything right.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #9
YoungPup1977
Account Suspended

LOL!!!

I just love this forum, its my modern day reading of the Funnies as in the newspapers.....