The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #51
dec010974

Re: Porterbuilt Stage 1 Front and Rear Kit Chart

muckyp, I had clearance issues with the lower control rubbing/interfering the inner rally wheels and wheel balance weights. I also had to clearance/grind the tie rod area of the drop spindle. For my application, a grinder was my best tool until I decide to buy larger wheels. Im running my stock rally wheels which are 15x8. I used the belltech 3 inch drop spindle, stock lower control arms, & the air bag in the lower control spring pocket. I also used a PB stage 1 lowering kit which relocated the shock mounts. i hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #52
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckyp View Post
MattPSU - are those 15" wheels on the truck in the photos? If so did you have issues with the wheels rubbing the lower control arms?
Yes, they are 15x7's and they rubbed on the lower control arm which did a great job of shaving my wheel weights. I don't have a picture of the arms, but I do have some pictures of the wheel weights. I can try to take some pictures of the arms this weekend.

Enjoy! - Matt
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
Old 03-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #53
muckyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
Yes, they are 15x7's and they rubbed on the lower control arm which did a great job of shaving my wheel weights. I don't have a picture of the arms, but I do have some pictures of the wheel weights. I can try to take some pictures of the arms this weekend.

Enjoy! - Matt
I have the same drop spindles and bags in front. Did you grind the lower control arms? I plan a larger wheel but those things are $$$$$, so I need some time prep the wife for the purchase.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #54
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckyp View Post
I have the same drop spindles and bags in front. Did you grind the lower control arms? I plan a larger wheel but those things are $$$$$, so I need some time prep the wife for the purchase.
I trimmed them with a sawzall & cut-off wheel, then cleaned it up with my grinder.

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

Old 03-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #55
MRWGN

Just wondering how much lower (if any) having tubular control arms would make it?

I ask because the way the bag mounting happens with the stage 1 kit it brings the mounting surface flush with arm and not recessed into the cup.

Would a set of porterbuilt tubular arms/CPP arms in standard form change those dimensions and make it lower again in the front?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #56
King Cary

Thanks for the chart Matt... Awesome lay out for everyone to use as a comparison when building their trucks... I see you're in Lyman S.C., I'm originally from Columbia.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #57
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWGN View Post
Just wondering how much lower (if any) having tubular control arms would make it?

I ask because the way the bag mounting happens with the stage 1 kit it brings the mounting surface flush with arm and not recessed into the cup.

Would a set of porterbuilt tubular arms/CPP arms in standard form change those dimensions and make it lower again in the front?
No idea. Maybe Travis or one of the Porterbuilt guys will chime in and let us know. If they send me a set, I'll install them and take some pictures, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Cary View Post
Thanks for the chart Matt... Awesome lay out for everyone to use as a comparison when building their trucks... I see you're in Lyman S.C., I'm originally from Columbia.
You're welcome. Small world!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #58
hass18

Does anyone have any pictures of how and where all the air valves and controller is mounted? Just looking for ideas on how to plumb and set up.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #59
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hass18 View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of how and where all the air valves and controller is mounted? Just looking for ideas on how to plumb and set up.
Here are some pictures of my air management set up which is Pro Performance's Pro 2 kit. I mounted my valve block, relays, & power distribution block on the cross member that's just behind the axle. The tank is mounted on a 2x2 that spans the rear of the frame where the original rear cross member used to be.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 AM   #60
MattPSU

I don't have any pictures of the AVS controller but here's one of my gauges inside the cab.
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #61
Pro Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWGN View Post

The PB arms will lower the truck more, by placing that bag mount lower in the a-arm as you described. I don't know the exact measurement, but you will see appx. 3/4" more of drop.

- Travis
Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #62
hass18

Quote:
Here are some pictures of my air management set up which is Pro Performance's Pro 2 kit. I mounted my valve block, relays, & power distribution block on the cross member that's just behind the axle. The tank is mounted on a 2x2 that spans the rear of the frame where the original rear cross member used to be.
Thanks for the pics. That was where I thought would be the best place to mount.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:08 AM   #63
Carbajal

Truck looks good. I like the way it looks That's the setup I'm going to put on my c10. What size tires do you have??
Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #64
clemsonteg

Thanks for the chart. I asked about this about a year ago and this is exactly the information I was looking for. I see in the first few photos you are at 80 psi front and 40 psi rear, but in the last few you list ride height at 60 psi front and 25 psi rear. Is that where you have always kept the ride height, or have you reduced it over time to fine tune the firmness you were after?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #65
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hass18 View Post
Thanks for the pics. That was where I thought would be the best place to mount.
Your welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbajal View Post
Truck looks good. I like the way it looks That's the setup I'm going to put on my c10. What size tires do you have??
Current tires are 275/60R15 on 7" rally wheels. About 27.5" tall. Someday I hope to upgrade to 20's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonteg View Post
Thanks for the chart. I asked about this about a year ago and this is exactly the information I was looking for. I see in the first few photos you are at 80 psi front and 40 psi rear, but in the last few you list ride height at 60 psi front and 25 psi rear. Is that where you have always kept the ride height, or have you reduced it over time to fine tune the firmness you were after?
At 80psi front and 40 psi rear, the bags are about fully inflated and that's as high as the truck can go. Initially I was thinking about showing the possible difference from fully deflated to fully inflated. I wasn't thinking about ride height which is somewhere in between. The more I drive it, the more I've been able to dial in the ride height which is more like 60psi front and 25 psi rear.

Clemsonteg - Be sure to check out the link to the Upstate GM Trucks Club that's in my signature. We've been getting together about once a month and we had 35 trucks show up in March.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #66
clemsonteg

Matt- thanks for the heads up. I've seen the pics in the regional forum. I definitely want to make it out, I just recently got the front end back on the my truck and got it back on the road. Once I get the kinks worked out I'll feel better about driving it to greenville.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #67
Desert.Chevy

Quote:
Your welcome!

Current tires are 275/60R15 on 7" rally wheels. About 27.5" tall. Someday I hope to upgrade to 20's.

At 80psi front and 40 psi rear, the bags are about fully inflated and that's as high as the truck can go.
Initially I was thinking about showing the possible difference from fully deflated to fully inflated.

I wasn't thinking about ride height which is somewhere in between. The more I drive it, the more I've been able to dial in the ride height which is more like 60psi front and 25 psi rear.

Clemsonteg - Be sure to check out the link to the Upstate GM Trucks Club that's in my signature. We've been getting together about once a month and we had 35 trucks show up in March.
I would like to see some pictures of the three heights, and the psi they have.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #68
MattPSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert.Chevy View Post
I would like to see some pictures of the three heights, and the psi they have.
The 4th, 6th & 7th pairs of pictures show you the heights as they are now in various pressures.

The 4th pair of pictures is aired all the way up, the 6th pair is at ride height, and the 7th is aired up.

Hope that helps. - Matt

Old 04-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #69
Desert.Chevy

Quote:
The 4th, 6th & 7th pairs of pictures show you the heights as they are now in various pressures.

The 4th pair of pictures is aired all the way up, the 6th pair is at ride height, and the 7th is aired up.

Hope that helps. - Matt
Awesome Thanks.