The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
Nightrider

72 half ton rebuild questions

Trying to put my 1972 GMC back on the road, but not really sure how to set up the suspension. I used a 2/4 drop with only coils being cut in the past , but wasn't very happy with the performance at highway speed on bumpy/ choppy roads. Im planning on 18 inch rims in the future, running 15 now.. Driving on rough country roads or interstate hwy, hauling my ZX14r in back at times.
Should I just rebuild to stock dimensions or try 2.5 drop spindles with 1 inch drop front springs and deal with the leafs in back some way?? Thanks for input !
00' Roadstar
84' Eagle model 10
72' GMC
18' camery

12' ZX14R-
Nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: 72 half ton rebuild questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
Trying to put my 1972 GMC back on the road, but not really sure how to set up the suspension. I used a 2/4 drop with only coils being cut in the past , but wasn't very happy with the performance at highway speed on bumpy/ choppy roads. Im planning on 18 inch rims in the future, running 15 now.. Driving on rough country roads or interstate hwy, hauling my ZX14r in back at times.
Should I just rebuild to stock dimensions or try 2.5 drop spindles with 1 inch drop front springs and deal with the leafs in back some way?? Thanks for input !
What you should do depends on what YOU want.

If you want a 'better' ride quality AND you want the truck lowered mildly, drop spindles w/stock springs are the way to go up front.

If it has leafs out back.... All the early leaf trucks I've ridden in were rough because they were just trucks back then & the suspension was set-up for working vs. ride quality.
You could try updating to a newer/more modern leaf set-up but it would be trial & error.
You could swap to the truck-arm arrangement & coils (or bags) either stock height or dropped. T/A would definitely offer improved ride quality.
There's also coil-over set-ups you could consider.

It comes down to what you want & what you're willing to spend to achieve the results desired.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote