The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
bstock1962

Door panel arm rest replacement

Hello, I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 with a worn out arm rest on the drivers side door. I've been looking at youtube videos of people pulling the whole door panel off, but I can't tell if that is necessary to just replace the arm rest. So the question is, does the whole panel have to come off to replace the door arm rest? Thanks.
bstock1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:47 AM   #2
izzy_Britton

Re: Door panel arm rest replacement

the short answer is: YES.

the long answer is: yes the whole door panel has to come off. the elbow / arm rest portion is attached to the door panel from the underside with melted plastic tabs. i believe the melted plastic tabs hold the elbow pad to the door panel is such a way that they are not easily replaced and it is honestly much simpler to just replace the entire door panel.

if someone has not already done so by this time tomorrow night i will post photos of the underside of a couple different door panels and elbow pads that i have laying around the shop.

izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
izzy_Britton

after scolling thru some pictures i just noticed that i am completely wrong. sorta.

the elbow pads are held on my clips and SCREWS from the backside of the door panel.

sorry for the HUGE picture. blew it up so you could maybe see better?

-izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:50 AM   #4
bstock1962

Excellent info, thanks Izzy! Thanks for the photo too, it helps.

I'll plan on pulling the whole panel off. I always hate doing doors (and dashboards). Seems like they never go back together without breaking tabs or something. This one doesn't look bad though.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:00 AM   #5
izzy_Britton

just remember...

these door panels are easy to remove compared to the earlier ones.

remove the 4-6 7mm screws, the window and lock master switch, the mirror mount cover and the inside door handle trim, and then:

LIFT STRAIGHT UP

there are two small wire plugs that need to be unplugged after you lift the panel off.

FIRST is the tweeter speaker wire, pinch and pull.

SECOND is the light in the lower rear corner of the door, pull with some force or love on it with a small pick tool to lift the release.

it is not necessary but i have found it is helpful to remove the door lock slider from the door panel for re-installation. remove it from the door panel while the panel is off the door (it does not need to be removed from the panel to take the panel off of the door).

install tweeter speaker wire and light wire, set the panel on the door and gently nudge it downward, gravity will probably install the panel for you, dont force it. then make sure that the door lock slider matches the passenger door lock/unlock position and that you have the release notch in the proper direction (yes there is an upside and down side to the slider, get it right and dont force it or you will have to take the panel off again to remove the slider again).

hard part is done... put the rest of it back opposite the way you took it apart and your done. honestly its about a 30 minute job to do what your planning to do if your not rushing and paying attention.

good luck.

-Izzy
Old 11-11-2016, 03:02 AM   #6
izzy_Britton

Dashboards SUCK !

i paid a guy to do mine. lol 3 times... $300.

-Izzy
Old 11-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
bstock1962

Okay, that was really easy. Found a used armrest at the junkyard and installed it with no problems. Much easier than the old style door panels, and no broken plastic tabs, fasteners, etc. Very good design. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
99LS1500

Yeppers, 99 NBS-newer are much easier to R&R than OBS Panels. Takes maybe 10 mins / door when you know exactly where the screws are. I've pulled mines to do new door speakers and 1 power window motor/regulator without any issues at all.
99LS1500 is offline   Reply With Quote