The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #76
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

whats your other hobby?under water horse shoes?lol
61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #77
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIZZLER View Post
whats your other hobby?under water horse shoes?lol
Under water horse shoes? I wish. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a 200 gallon salt water fish and coral tank. My problem is I have a existing tank upstairs in my family room but I am in the process of setting up a new "200 gal. "In Wall" down in our finished basement. Here's some pics for the Chizzler just so he knows why I am a slacker sometimes on my truck.

current tank

close up

new tank

filtration room for current tank and back side of new tank

here's a random shot of the man cave
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #78
CHIZZLER

wow!!!!that is freakin amazing.we all have other hobbies besides trucks.mine right now is trying to take care and clean up 7 acres.remodeled the house,built a new shop,cleared blackberry,mowed fields,ashalted 600'.it goes on and on.your play room looks killer.
61-crew cab D-max

Old 05-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #79
paintman

schzammmm

Alittle bit of Friday afternoon bling bling arrived in the mail!!!!!

I have to tell ya I was somewhat leary having a set of custom headers mad all the way on the other side of the country but, I have to tell you I couldn't be happier with the way they turned out! Kudos to to Stainless Headers Inc.
When I sent the mock up kit out to them they told me it would be about 4 weeks before they could get started because they where busy making headers for the racing season. But they did tell me once a fabricator was assigned to my job he would be in touch just in case he had any questions. Sure enough after 4 weeks went by I got a call from a guy named Kevin. He said he had 2 or 3 questions regarding my headers but everything seemed pretty straight forward and would have them done in a bout a week. sure enough 2 weeks later I had them sitting in my garage!
I shot a couple of close up so you can see the quality of the welds.

Here's a shot showing how they blended the inside of the pipes to the flanges. No chinsy ass tack welds like Clifford headers!

they also made up the bottom bends for me. I had them burn in a bung for an O2 sensor if I ever decide to go TBI

Also got a little more bling in the mail from Tom Lowe over at Autowerks
Old 05-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #80
CHIZZLER

those headers look nice.
61-crew cab D-max

Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #81
paintman

OK some updates! So here's a perfect example of having something get way more involved then I ever wanted it to be. Originally my truck came with your typical V8. I decided to make the change to an inline 6. Well that poses some challenges. First off the inline 6 is about 4-5 inches longe than the V8. when I first put the engine in its hole I had no room to get the radiator in.

So after staring at the problem for a bout 2 months I decided I only had 2 options. Either try and re-work the radiator mount and move it forward. Or cut a hole in the fire wall and slide the engine back a bit. Moving the radiator support around seemed at the time to present much more of a challenge because as most of you know a lot of the front body work mounts to the support. Because of this I decided to leave the mount alone and cut a hole in the firewall.

At the time the fix seemed pretty simple......but now I had to figure out how to re- work the fire wall and not make it look like a hack job. Mind you now I do not have any of the high end tools the hot rod shops have ie....power hammer, english wheel, bead roller, etc etc. So I will have to just wing as best I can. the biggest problem is the stock fire wall has a rounded, stamped recess. So How the hell am I going to make something blend in with that?????????????

first I started off making a new floor. Just a simple piece of plate steel with a lip added to the bottom so it rests nicely in its hole.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #82
paintman

Next it was onto the toe board. This wasn't to much of a big deal as the old toe board looked like a piece of Swiss cheese anyway. All I had to do was add a 2 inch kick out to accommodate the engine set back. After a lot of cutting grinding and fitting this is what I came up with.

here it is all in place................

Next it is onto the tranny tunnel
Old 06-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #83
paintman

Tranny tunnel Hmmmmmmmm. Templates templates and more templates. that's pretty much how I spent the last couple of hours.
Cut, fit, try it. fail.

Cut it again, try it again, getting closer.

Cut it again, try it again,........

So I guess the plan is fab up the tunnel with some sheet metal some how, weld some tabs to the floor and toe board for mounting points, and either fasten the tunnel with screws and nuts or Dzus buttons.
Seeing as how I don't have anyway to roll a niece tunnel into form. Would I be violating the Hot Rod gospel by copying this idea?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #84
old yelr

Noy sure if it's too late or if it's an option for you but check the link below .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-1941-19...9a04f2&vxp=mtr
old yelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #85
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by old yelr View Post
Noy sure if it's too late or if it's an option for you but check the link below .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-1941-19...9a04f2&vxp=mtr
Thanx Yelr, I have seen them before and had considered it, but I don't think my welding skills are up to cutting out an entire fire wall and trying to weld/stitch a new one in place without warping it. I may just cut out the rounded section of my firewall and build some kind of a square box. At this point though I am still stumped as to how I am going to blend in my toe board with the stock fire wall. if I only had an English wheel and about 20 years experience in metal working I would be all set.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #86
old yelr

Yeah, I had the same thoughts about it. I'm sure you will figure something out. LOVE the headers! I think that's an awsome option if you can't find anything to fit. I'm sure they were not easy on the wallet though. Keep up the great work
old yelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #87
CHIZZLER

lookin good paint.
61-crew cab D-max

Old 06-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #88
KJSR

I formed my trans hump over a 33 gallon oil drum trash can. Just pushed the metal around it and it ended up being the perfect shape.
1965 Chevrolet K10 Suburban
1969 Chevrolet C10
1937 Plymouth P4
KJSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #89
paintman

So while I ponder what to do about the fire wall and trans tunnel. I figured I would button up the back end of the truck with the new fuel tank and shock mounts.

Whoever originally built the truck put the shocks in staggered (one in front of the rear the other behind) which is fine but they were laid down at almost a 30 degree angle. The guy I bought the truck off of said it rode so stiff he took the shocks out and just drove the truck on the leaf springs. I don't have a pic of the old shocks but its no wonder the truck rode so stiff, there was now way the shocks could compress at 30 degrees.

So the fix was simple enough. the TCI leaf kit came with the shock cross member and shocks, so I just threw in some boxing plates, and burned in the mount.

For the fuel tank, I guess theirs about 100 different ways to mount them. I choose to do everything bolt in. I just used some 1 1/4 square stock bolted to the frame for supports. Of course its never as simple as it seems..... Because the front most cross member sits on the kick up part of the frame over the rear, It wouldn't sit level with the rear cross member so I had to notch it on both sides. At least I am getting a lot of welding practice!
I then bolted the tank to the supports. Instead of just directly bolting the tank to the supports I made up some squish plates to sit on top and sandwich everything together. Once I do the final assembly I'll use some kind of rubber inner tube like material in between the cross member, tank, and the plates to keep everything from chaffing. to remove the tank all I have to do is unbolt the rear most cross member from the frame and slide it back about an inch and the tank just drops down.

So that's where i am at as of now. The truck is real close to being mocked up.
Before I tear everything down for sand blasting theirs just a couple of things I want to do. I bought a set of 2" drop spindles from Justin, and some 2" lowering blocks from speedway. I want to throw them at the truck and see what it looks like lowered a bit more. The other thing is, I am still trying to find a trans cross member that I like. I am trying to find one with a 1" drop but it looks like the only ones made start at 2" and go from there. I currently have the tranny temporarily finagled in with a 6" drop but that interferes with the brake booster/master cylinder. I guess I may just have to make one.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #90
paintman

I almost forgot to ask the experts.....do you guys think I should put some strapping under the fuel tank to support the bottom when the tank is full of fuel?
I am thinking that a full tank of fuel may cause the tank to deform a bit and cause stress on the seems. Maybe I just over thinking it.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #91
Cape Codder

I just found you build thread and love the project. I especially like the return to the inline 6. The Mustang tanks in their original use sat into the trunk from the top and all four sides were supported on the seams without straps underneath. As long as you are supporting the longer sides I would think you would be ok , but a couple pieces of angle supporting both sides wouldn't be tough to engineer.

Bob
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #92
paintman

So the ole girl got her nose and back side lowered 2" thanx to a set of drop spindles from Justin out at Scott's Hot Rods and some lowering blocks from Speedway. I think she looks pretty good although here I go again opening up a can of worms. When I dropped the rear it puts the tires a little bit to close to the fenders for my comfort. So its either widen the fenders, raise the fenders, get a rear that's about 2" narrower, smaller width wheels, or keep the same width wheels but use a different back space.

Heres a shot showing the new fuel tank. It doesn't look to bad but maybe a rear roll pan to hide it is in order.

I am so close to being able to tear this thing apart for sandblasting!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #93
CHIZZLER

lookin real good paint.
61-crew cab D-max

Old 06-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #94
Scottshotrods

looking good !!!

Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #95
Cape Codder

I like the look of the front bumper maybe a matching one for the rear? I would weld the bolts to the backside and smooth the bumper too.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #96
egarage

I have a 46 1/2 ton chevy and I have a 69 chevy 292 that I want to install and would like to know if you made your moter mount brackets or did you buy them. Also would you still rework the fire wall or would you move the radiator forword if you had to do it again?
egarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #97
paintman

Quote:
Originally Posted by egarage View Post
I have a 46 1/2 ton chevy and I have a 69 chevy 292 that I want to install and would like to know if you made your moter mount brackets or did you buy them. Also would you still rework the fire wall or would you move the radiator forword if you had to do it again?
As far as the motor mounts, .....the pieces you see bolted to the motor are from chassis engineering. the brackets on the frame I made myself and just used the standard rubber pucks you can buy for any motor. Actually I think the pucks came with the motor mounts from CE.

As far as the 292 situation, I don't know yet. I don't have all the fancy fabrication equipment that I really need so I am struggling right now with the fire wall. I think what I am going to do is have Scott's Hot Rods make me a box for the set back and just bolt it in place.

I guess if I had thought it out better I could have left the radiator bracket in its stock location and somehow welded different flanges on the radiator to move it more forward towards the front of the truck. If I remember correctly though I needed almost 2" more clearance for the fan not to hit the radiator. I definitely didn't want to be bothered with moving the whole radiator support around because then I would have re-hang the entire nose of the truck with all new, different brackets.

I don't think I'll have to many updates for awhile because the wife and I are in the process of having a patio installed off the back of our house. Plus having to throw $800 at my work truck yesterday didn't help. DAMN CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS! Probably won't get a chance to get back to the 46 for 2-3 weeks.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #98
Scottshotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
As far as the motor mounts, .....the pieces you see bolted to the motor are from chassis engineering. the brackets on the frame I made myself and just used the standard rubber pucks you can buy for any motor. Actually I think the pucks came with the motor mounts from CE.

As far as the 292 situation, I don't know yet. I don't have all the fancy fabrication equipment that I really need so I am struggling right now with the fire wall. I think what I am going to do is have Scott's Hot Rods make me a box for the set back and just bolt it in place.

I guess if I had thought it out better I could have left the radiator bracket in its stock location and somehow welded different flanges on the radiator to move it more forward towards the front of the truck. If I remember correctly though I needed almost 2" more clearance for the fan not to hit the radiator. I definitely didn't want to be bothered with moving the whole radiator support around because then I would have re-hang the entire nose of the truck with all new, different brackets.

I don't think I'll have to many updates for awhile because the wife and I are in the process of having a patio installed off the back of our house. Plus having to throw $800 at my work truck yesterday didn't help. DAMN CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS! Probably won't get a chance to get back to the 46 for 2-3 weeks.
We are ready when you are !!!

Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #99
flatbed51

Those are sure some nice headers.

48,49,50 Chevy trucks. 41 Olds
flatbed51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #100
paintman

Ok guys, I figured I would do a meaningless post just to keep my thread from falling into the internet abyss. As I mentioned in my last post the truck would have to be put on the back burner for awhile. Here's some pics of what has been distracting me.
4 weeks ago my property went from looking like a golf course, to something that resembles a war zone. For the entire month of June, NJ had pounding rain storms just about everyday. Well that's all fine and dandy until our patio contractor showed up with his heavy equipment.

My backyard went from looking like this:

to this:

of course my front yard didn't fair to well either:

Fortunately in the middle of all the chaos I got a package from Tom Lowe to help keep my sanity! A nice hunk of aluminium bling for the top of the motor.

Of course to save money my wife and I decided that I should be the one to do all the clean up and re-landscaping. Soooo for the past 2 weeks the Paintman has moved with a wheel barrel and shovel 20 yards of red dress stone, 15 yards of top soil, and done a whole lot of raking! But in the end it was all worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!