The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2016, 02:18 AM   #26
gokellurself

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser View Post
Us younger guys need to stick together

Any updates you must have done something over the weekend
Know what I was actually out riding most the weekend so I didn't get to work on the truck so much. I'm right in the middle of some problem solving on it though, so I should have an update very soon.

Conditions were excellent however, had to hit the forest

Last edited by gokellurself; 07-31-2017 at 12:07 AM.
gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:42 AM   #27
gokellurself

I guess I could hit a little update though, being as we finally made it to the 2nd page lol

I told you guys I had been doing a bunch of running around. I thought I had two full sets of these old wheels and was planning on using the best of the 8 and keeping a spare. By the time I had the tires pulled off I ended up with 3 misc. wheels however...

Soo oook then

About a year ago I found this guy about an hour out from me who's junk yard looks like it hasn't changed in 30 years. The place is incredible, so much cool stuff I could just look around out there for hours

He's actually a huge Dodge guy, has these Dodge trucks everywhere out there.

This is the truck I got my grille and lower valance piece from probably 9 months ago. Pretty picked through but still stuff there

I cruised out there to see what I could find, little odds and ends but I came up kinda dry. Of all things I need some review mirror arms and wouldn't mind finding old rusted ones over some new ones. Not a single one here though

He just got this thing in though, excellent condition and untouched minus the back half. I asked him how much for the grille Says he couldn't even touch the truck yet as he was still waiting on paperwork to clear. Figured I better let it be the next guy who needs the parts

Turns out he was interested in my old wheels and we struck a deal for an old windshield frame. My metal guy thinks he can make one solid frame from two busted frames so I figured hey, might as well grab it. So now I have two busted frames and still think it might just be better to cash out for the repop one. Anybody think theres a market for rusty windshield frames?

Anyways, got some stuff from the sandblasters and looking to get some color soon. Dash needs some metalwork and we'll be on our way

Keep wrenching out there though. Catch you guys later

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-08-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:03 PM   #28
gokellurself

Alright what's up guys, got a little update going on.

I picked up a driveshaft from a local dismantler. The wrecking yards typically move cars with fork lifts and bang up the driveshafts, but this place is the type to actually dismantle vehicles, so they had a decent one. I would have preferred a smaller steel one, but all they had were BIG ol' aluminum, late model ones. All good though. I took it and had it shortened at a local shop and got new U-joints while I was there.

I had been eyeing an issue with one of the crossmember I have going on. It looked really close coming out the tail shaft, and I figured I was going to have to address it but I wanted to get my actual driveshaft to see what I was going to have to do.

I had enough room to move the crossmember forward, above the end of the tailshaft. I had some steel ready to go so I cut it and trimmed out the ends. It's still a tight fit but seems like it's going to work just fine. I pulled the engine and could slide it back in without being inhibited by the crossmember whatsoever.

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-19-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #29
gokellurself

The crossmember was one of the last things holding me up before getting my cab back on and situated for hopefully the last time. It's been about time I get my exhaust going though, so I figured I better knock it out while the cab is still off.

I ordered up some essentials, some 2.5" mandrel bends and 24" glass packs. Don't really want a screamer so I'm hoping it's not gonna be too loud.

Exhaust operation in progress

Pretty basic setup. Pretty much just 90's out and runs straight back and it dumps down before the axle. I tried to keep it up and tight as best I could. I'm short one 45 and ordered some 2 inch flanges to make the crossover, but the bulk of it is there.

So that's pretty much it for right now. Nothing too exciting but important steps none the less. I'll get a couple buddies over here and get the cab back on and I'll have a whole bunch of things I can get into. Sure feels like it's coming along though, just want to keep at it and get this thing going.

Thanks for checking it out guys, catch you later.

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-19-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #30
Valarius_Starchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokellurself View Post
Nothing too exciting but important steps none the less.
Hey I think that's some exciting stuff getting exhaust routed is one of the best feelings If them glasspacks are to loud for you I know a good home for them wink wink nudge nudge

And your exactly right about keeping progress going if you stop for to long and forget about it they become lawn or grove art for the next 30 years before you even know what happened
Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #31
CSHADES

I think the exhaust noise is going to drive you right out of the cab. I would think hard about extending it to the rear of the truck.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #32
docrock

Great Project. Excellent pics!!.

1942 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429494

R.I.P. TOM SEFFRON 68 FOUR DOOR http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=495438

1942 Chevy that ate my brain 70 Chassis https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=835250
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:59 PM   #33
Average Joe

Nice truck and great work! Thats a whole lot of rubber fuel line though. Was there a reason for that? I dont mean to come off as critical. I have had bad experiences with rubber line and new ethanol blended fuels. Just my 2 cents. luv the truck and welcome to the site!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:51 AM   #34
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

Thanks for the comment. Nice build you have going on. I will join in for the build.
61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #35
gokellurself

Hey guys, I appreciate the comments and everybody stopping in to take a look. In a way I thought of this build thread to be here for the future internet to see it, so I appreciate the guys catching it as its going down all the more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser View Post
Hey I think that's some exciting stuff getting exhaust routed is one of the best feelings If them glasspacks are to loud for you I know a good home for them wink wink nudge nudge

And your exactly right about keeping progress going if you stop for to long and forget about it they become lawn or grove art for the next 30 years before you even know what happened
That's the thing, I'm way too impatient for a multi-year build lol trying to take my time and enjoy it but still keep it moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSHADES View Post
I think the exhaust noise is going to drive you right out of the cab. I would think hard about extending it to the rear of the truck.
Shades man you're probably right. I think I can extend what I have if that's the case.. I'm trying this because I think sometimes exhaust tips can take away from the look of the rear, lately I've been into the no exhaust look. But you're right, maybe even extending it over the axle then dumping it could prove more effective for noise. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrock View Post
Great Project. Excellent pics!!.
Right on, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Nice truck and great work! Thats a whole lot of rubber fuel line though. Was there a reason for that? I dont mean to come off as critical. I have had bad experiences with rubber line and new ethanol blended fuels. Just my 2 cents. luv the truck and welcome to the site!
Naa no problem Joe, thanks for the input. I don't know why tbh.. the fuel pump came with barbed fittings and it's so low pressure I really didn't think much about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIZZLER View Post
Thanks for the comment. Nice build you have going on. I will join in for the build.
Hey right on Chizz, I've been keeping an eye on the Crew Max build too, you really don't mess around
Old 05-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #36
docrock

Where is the brake pedal going to mount?

1942 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429494

R.I.P. TOM SEFFRON 68 FOUR DOOR http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=495438

1942 Chevy that ate my brain 70 Chassis https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=835250
docrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #37
gokellurself

Hey Docrock, I apologize for the late response. The brake pedal came with the X-member set up and welds right to the frame. I hope this helps

I have a quick update about my engine mount placement and the quick-fix method that was attempted in modifying the engine mount. I was able to move it 5/8" with this solution, but I believe a full 1" to 1 1/4" would have done the full trick.

It can be seen in the 2nd picture that the brake pedal arm is in fact in collision with the exhaust header bolt, which I don't think would have happened if the engine were better positioned in the first place. Similarly, I probably had room to move the brake pedal back a small amount, however this issue was unforeseen at the time. I can take a little section out of the pedal arm and get by just fine

I was able to get the cab mounted permanently, but not before STILL having to trim a little off the firewall for valve cover clearance. I do believe my quick-fix attempt reduced the amount the firewall was needed to be trimmed, yet trimming it needed none the less...

Rookie woes fellas, rookie woes...

Anyways, been working nonstop and haven't gotten to a major update, though things are certainly still in progress! Lots of OT, today was my 14th day straight but I should be getting back to a 4-10 schedule and have all kind of time to start really getting this thing together.

Thanks for stopping by, catch y'all later

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-19-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:06 PM   #38
Valarius_Starchaser

just do the wheelbarrow firewall kell that will solve all clearance problems! Until you go to put everything in the dash....

glad to see your still on it!
Old 07-29-2016, 11:02 AM   #39
solidaxel

Great progress, you have a vision and are following it
Take a look at your brake arm and steering column, ours is VERY close to your foot when applying the brake, now is your chance to look at it!
You have covered many of the hard parts and are making great progress, keep up the good work

A note for Justin at Scotts Hot Rod, take a look at the frame rails, no taper on the 46, you should update your computer program for crossmember and rear axle width.
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #40
gokellurself

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Great progress, you have a vision and are following it
Take a look at your brake arm and steering column, ours is VERY close to your foot when applying the brake, now is your chance to look at it!
You have covered many of the hard parts and are making great progress, keep up the good work
Hey thanks a lot, badass truck you have as well. You're absolutely right, brake pedal comes up almost exactly where the steering column is landing... Took a look at it and I'm gonna give the steering precedence then should be able to cut weld and MacGyver the brake arm over. Good call man thanks
Old 08-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #41
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokellurself View Post
Thanks man, yeah I found a thread somewhere online of guys posting pics and all the specs for the drops they did. No conversation was allowed, just pics and specs, so it was really cool. It took a lot of the guess work out since I could find the trucks sitting exactly how I wanted and emulate their drops. Only difference was most everybody bolted in c-notches and seemed to have clearance issues. I welded in a deep C and don't even run bump stops in the back, I never hit.
Nice looking GMC and lowering it sure makes a different truck

I just finished welding in a C Notch on the rear frame of our 03 GMC what a difference a few inches makes in the frame. no more THUMP !
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #42
gokellurself

Hey guys, I was trying to wait for a bigger update but it's been a while so I'll hit you with a couple sneak peaks

First off, it was way back when, I only had the perches on my rear end tacked in as back then I was verifying my pinion angle and wasn't looking to overly commit.. I wanted to get the thing coated so I pulled a couple measurements and confirmed the axle was center and that everything was good to go. It was. Then suddenly I was completely thrown off, as with the driveshaft installed I could really tell that axle yoke wasn't centered

I'll cut to the chase, cause all the OG's already know where I'm going with this... Turns out Chevy 12 bolts are in fact not centered. I did all my head scratching, double checked all my measurements, did all my research and finally figured out that this was normal and I was good to go. The axle came out of 70's something Blazer some guy was parting out on Craigslist. Everything was in really good shape but the only catch was he wouldn't let me take it without the Dana 44 front end too. By the time I sold the front end though I ended up getting away with what I'd call a hell of a deal. I finalized the perches, coated it, filled it with gear oil, and all is good to go but now the yoke seal is leaking, so I'll have to get to that... The axle seems to fit perfectly into my rear fenders so I don't believe I''ll have to shorten it

I also changed the oil pan gasket (confirmed, cannot remove pan with V8 crossmember), transmission pan gasket and filter.

Sorry I always have such crap lighting

Dashboard's been at the body shop... I used to work for this guy back in high school, he's just a one man shop operating out of his property and has been for 30+ years. I have the dash back now but here's a sneak of the color, GM Bermuda Blue Metallic. I've always been a huge fan of the color so I'm glad I finally get to use it on something. It really only pops in the sun, changes from dark blue to green

Be smart and always let the Paintman do all the drinking and thinking for you! My radiator support fix looks like his throwaway rough draft but it's done, thanks brotha!

Doors are just about ready to go back together

That's about it with the minor update, there's more to follow. Thanks for stopping by, I'll catch you guys later

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-19-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #43
gokellurself

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Nice looking GMC and lowering it sure makes a different truck

I just finished welding in a C Notch on the rear frame of our 03 GMC what a difference a few inches makes in the frame. no more THUMP !
You made the right call on the deep C, slight modification required but it's the only way to go. I sectioned my transmission crossmember too but I never drove around lowered without it sectioned so I really don't have a reference point for clearance comparison

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-19-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #44
paintman

Be smart and always let the Paintman do all the drinking and thinking for you! My radiator support fix looks like his throwaway rough draft but it's done, thanks brotha!

I will take no responsibility for any problems that may occur because you copied from someone who doesn't have clue what he is doing.
You also have a PM in regards to your questions. paint man
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:42 AM   #45
gokellurself

what's going on fellas

It's been a few months so I wanted to get a few updates up. I got a few big items checked off so I'm really trying to make a push as we're back into spring and summer now.

I don't have it pictured but I have the cooling system all finalized, fan mounted. I had a local hydraulic shop make some power steering lines for me. I used some washers to get the power steering pump to line up just right on the serpentine. One major item I need to face soon is finalizing the steering linkage

I've got the windows in, all except the windshield. They fit well but are little stiff cranking up and down. I need to grease the channel where the crank slides, but beyond that I'm not sure what else I could do to help it. I still haven't bit the bullet and purchased the new windshield frame, but I don't think the two old ones that I have are going to be worth the work to make either of them work. If anybody is interested in them let me know, or they'll end up on Craigslist or something

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-19-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:06 AM   #46
gokellurself

So now what I'm really fired up about is getting my dash back and wheels and tires on. I'll have some better photos of the dash for sure but man it looks clean in there... I thought about doing the wheels some sort of bright color but really couldn't decide on it, so I figured I better go the safe route and just had them powder coated black and had Coker white walls put on.

I had to see how everything was going to look so I mocked up the bed and fenders. Very happy with it! The stance is right at about what I was shooting for. I'm in the middle of doing wood bed right now then I'll have the bed and rear fenders on and done with.

So that's about it for now... major items I need to tackle are steering linkage, wiring and massaging the front clip back together along with many, many small tasks. Thanks guys, til next time

Last edited by gokellurself; 08-20-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #47
joedoh

what a great project, glad you are back on it.

my advice: buy the windshield, seriously. I did some math, figuring that I needed new glass, new hardware, new center bar, new glass tape, new gasket, it would have cost me around $400, AND still need to repair the rust in the lower channel, AND drill out and tap all the rusty hardware, AND put it all back together. for double that I could bolt it in and put my not very rusty one with broken glass on craigslist.

bowtie bits is local to me though, so no expensive shipping. jeff is a dynamite human being too, I got a bunch of stuff from him when I stopped in last, and I will get some more this week.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:11 AM   #48
gokellurself

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
what a great project, glad you are back on it.

my advice: buy the windshield, seriously. I did some math, figuring that I needed new glass, new hardware, new center bar, new glass tape, new gasket, it would have cost me around $400, AND still need to repair the rust in the lower channel, AND drill out and tap all the rusty hardware, AND put it all back together. for double that I could bolt it in and put my not very rusty one with broken glass on craigslist.
Thanks man, I know you're right too because all my windows came in a set together so I already have windshield glass that came with glass tape on all the edges, I just need the frame setup that they sell and the gasket. I like bowtie bits too, it's about time I pull the trigger... I've just been stuck on the counter intuitiveness of cashing out on a brand new frame and then soaking it with hydrochloric acid for it to match the patina my heart can't take it!

Hey do you have any more details on how to rebuild the windshield cranks? What size bits did you use? And where/how do I find that copper piece?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #49
joedoh

well the shaft can be slightly worn and the wear on the bracket can need a larger sized hole so there isnt a how-to really, I am always sanding with high grit.

the brass is just high copper brass I get from the local scrap yard and turn in a drill press to get smooth.

on a couple I have needed to make a new bushing that the handle shaft rides on, you have to drill out the rivet and put the new piece in. pull on your handle, if you can move it in and out of teh regulator more than a tiny amount, that bushing will need replaced too.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #50
paintman

Hey Kell! Can I ask who you bought your gasket from for your window in the back of the cab? Your flange on the outside looks alot bigger then the one I got from Steele. I am having an impossible time getting my glass in. Thanks,the Paintman!
[/URL]
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote