The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
factoryorange3

lifting my 79

i might have to lift my 79 k10 2 inches in the suspension to fit my new 33" tires. lift kits can be expensive especially for a budget truck. the rear suspension lift should not be a problem since i can fabricate my own blocks for the rear. the front i am hoping to use the stock springs and just extend the spring shackle down 2'' more, and space the steering link 2"also. does this sound like a plan that will work or is this no good at all?
any input or constructive criticizm would be great,.. thanks,
factoryorange3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: lifting my 79

33's can fit with a minor trim to the front fender. Extending the shackle 2 inches would really screw with the caster angle of the axle. The pinion would be tilting further down and bind like crazy due to the angle.

Lifting it the right way with a set of springs and rear blocks would be the best way to go. New kit's can be bought for a reasonable amount if you shop it right. I got a Rough Country 4" kit with shocks, rear blocks and a raised steering arm for around $250 with shipping a few years back. No Rough Country lifts aren't the best out there. They are pretty stiff compared to other name brands too. But it's what I could afford at the time. It's still under the truck and worked quite well. Best of all, it's proven to be bulletproof. Not one problem, no hokey business causing unwanted wear or crappy handling.

Keep this in mind, the suspension is what's keeping you and your truck connected to the road. Skimping on this stuff is DANGEROUS to yourself and fellow motorists on the road. If you have to save up, to do it right then do so. Everything I've done on my K5 was done on a tight budget, including that lift. Getting such a good deal just sped up my plans and allowed me to do it sooner.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Mudder

Re: lifting my 79

Tuff Country used to have a 2" lift that didn't break the wallet. I used one on a 76 Blazer and 33's. Worked out great.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote