The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2018, 02:08 AM   #1
Greasey Harley

points vs Pertrinix ...which one --->WHY?

So,
I was reading this other thread, and it made me want to start this one.
Here's the deal:
I believe HEI is BY FAR the best for performance and reliability.

That being said, my '68 c10 (327), has had the same set of points running the ignition for the last 4 years. I've never even had to adjusted them, and they still works perfectly. it rips

The only experience I have ever had with Pertronix is when I have had to replace a dead unit in a customer's boat. ( about a half dozen times in an 8 year period)

People that like pertronix LOVE them.
...Thats cool

Is there any performance advantage? ...or do you just not have to set the points?

I'm pretty good at setting points just sayin'

Last edited by Greasey Harley; 10-23-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:31 AM   #2
Chris_oz

Re: points vs Pertrinix ...which one --->WHY?

First up, I hate points, I know how to set them, I have dwell meters and have been doing them for years, but after doing my first Pertronix swap 6 years ago, I will never again adjust or replace points.

I know that the pertronix 1 was a little temperamental, also with the plastic wheel which had a tendency to break after age.
I have only ever used the ignigtor 3, which has adjustable rpm limit, reverse polarity protection, dual spark.
I have them in 3 of my toys, total perfection.

My only gripe is if you have low battery voltage, I mean really low, you may not get spark when cranking, but I am talking when the battery is so low it can barely swing the engine over.
Once I had to jump because of this.
I think that the pertronix 2 will work at lower voltage but does not have all the other features.

I can cruise at 80 mph in my 390 Caddy, it never misses a beat, I starts in an instant and maintenance free.
Everything I like.

I don't know if it offers any huge performance gain, but knowing that the dwell is constant, no points bounce and 50000 volt coil that throws a huge spark I am sure does not hurt.

I like mine, I don't think that I will ever fit points again.
Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:59 AM   #3
82C10step

Not sure how the newer pertronix stuff is, haven't used one in 10+ years. The older stuff used to misfire on the Dyno above 5000 rpm or so. We used to use the Crane Cams unit. I don't think they are available anymore tho.
82C10step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
panhead59

Performance advantage ? I like having the rev limiter, especially with a 4 speed. I'd call that a performance advantage over a stock points system. Never had any issues with mine in a 455 GTO . So no points and rev limiter for around $100. Can't beat that !

1959 H-D Panhead. Owned since 1978. Currently with son in Lawton, OK.
1968 Chevy Custom SWB pick up. Fleetside. Lowered 4/6. Totally refurbished. 1966 Pontiac GTO. 4 speed. Saved original 389. Now has slightly built 455 engine. 355 rear gears. Very fun to drive !
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
custom10nut

People gonna love, or hate.
After fighting with “Floating Points” (and even put a DualPoint setup for a while), I put a Mallory unit in mine in the Summer of 2000. I’ve not had any issues with it since I put it in, so to me it was a good move. The reason I went this route instead of HEI, was my very tight budget at the time, and a Speed Shop had the unit on a 50% off sale. And I wanted to keep my “Stock” distributor.
Before the conversion, adjusting the points was part of my weekend routine to get the truck ready for the next week. I actually still have the matchbook cover piece that I used for a gauge. (I found it in the ashtray )
I can’t argue that the HEI is a good move, but the conversion route is easy, and my factory Tach works (and is accurate) with no bugs.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
s10mk

Let me preface this by saying that I don't daily drive my truck, its just a toy that I like to go cruising with. But for now, I'm still running points, for nostalgia sake, I really enjoy keeping the points running in tip top shape. Of course its also important to use good parts. I only use NOS gm condensors. I think a lot of new replacement ignition parts are of pretty questionable quality.

But if I were going to daily drive my truck, I would either use a petronox or a complete gm HEI distributor. You really can't beat them for the sake of reliability.

1972 Chevrolet c20 350/350

1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS/ 6.0 lsx
s10mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
steelhorse

I have personally seen an upgrade from points to electronic add 40hp. The car in question was running ok the owner was just tired of points. Every car that UI have replaced the points with a Petronics or something similar has started and run better.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #8
jeffahart

Ya, points on the Chevy are easy with the little hatch on the side of the distributor to dial in the dwell. That said, with HEI, coil and good plug wires, you will notice the difference. I spent more on my wires than my HEI unit. But, not sure what I will use when I replace my engine. I have a tired 100k 350. But still noticed the difference. I'm not even sure why I put the HEI on the engine I have now, probably because it was so cheap. Points kind of remind me of drum brakes. They work well if you keep them maintained and adjusted, but they are a bit of a contraption.

j
Old 10-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #9
Chris_oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82C10step View Post
Not sure how the newer pertronix stuff is, haven't used one in 10+ years. The older stuff used to misfire on the Dyno above 5000 rpm or so. We used to use the Crane Cams unit. I don't think they are available anymore tho.
I have also used the crane unit, cheap and reliable with an rpm limiter too.
Now sold as Fast XiR ignition, about $60 for a kit.
Worth having one as a spare at that price
Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #10
Coley

I like the pertronix and have run them for years....although they definitely like to have a strong 12 volts rather than the GM coil/ignition wire '8 to 10' volts.
How do I know?....hmm, time for a separate thread, lol.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
DANTIP

I'm a fan of the M&H Electric 1-wire kit named "Breakerless SE". I put these on everything I own. No wiring changes, stock coil, no points, no dwell, easy install.
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote