The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2004, 11:36 PM   #1
Staceydude

ART Air over leaf suspension

Hey All,

Has anyone used the Air Ride Tech Air Over Leaf kit?

I have been looking at the catalog and I am thinking it may work well for me.

As some of you know I am converting the K5 from 4X4 to 2X4 .

I was going to just use drop shackles or a flip kit and drop spindles to lower

it.

However some have suggested that I just get it over with and bag it...

I like that idea but I can not afford an all out 2K air ride system either.

The Air overleaf system seems to be a good price and easy install since I do not have to go with a 4 Link and I like to do as much work as I can myself. This is what is fun to me about building a truck.

Plus, I will be towing a boat quite a bit so it may be the best way to raise the rear while towing. I could order the heavier set of bags for it. The Boat is your average 18.5 foot bassboat.

Does anyone have any feedback on this system or for me on this?

Regards,

Stacey
Staceydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 12:22 AM   #2
SCOTI

N2TRUX has the Air-over-Leaf set-up on his 77 & I think it rides as well as any short wheel-base truck does. It will work just fine for stock HP drivetrains. Anything more & the 4-bar system should be considered.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 09:42 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Scoti is correct. Even though Air Ride "does not" recommend going this way so far it works fine on my 77. When Stoked Out bagged my 77 we wanted to keep the system as simple as possible. The decision was made to try the Air Ride Technologies overleaf system. We figured if it didn't work all we had really lost was the labor, since most of the components of the overleaf kit could be re-used to add a four link.

As Scot says it works just fine and the ride is good. Becuase we removed all the rear leafs but two, axle wrap could certainly be an issue with a higher hp motor. With the stock 150hp 350 in my 77 axle wrap and the subsequent wheel hop it would create has never been a concern.

Since you are going to be building the suspension from the ground up it makes pretty good sense to bag it while you are there. If you are capable of doing the 4wd to 2wd swap, then you should be able to install bags as well.

While there is no doubt it will cost more going in, it will still be cheaper to do it once the first time. If budget is the only issue, there are cheaper ways to go without compromising quality. Just make sure you do your research well when considering alternative sources.

There is no doubt Air Ride Technologies isn't the cheapest on the market. There is also no doubt you are getting a well designed quality kit when you buy from them. They offer excellent customer service and quick support when needed. Try getting any of that from AIM or Chassis Tech......

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
Staceydude

Hey Ken and Scoti,

Thanks for the input.

I have to do some serious thinking about which way to go.

I will be running the Big Block but at this time it will be pretty much stock with the exception of Intake and a few other goodies.

If I go any higher HP than that and went to a 4 Bar system then I could add the 4 bar and remove the leafs and just move the bags over. Right?

Also, If I do tow with the Blazer and add heavier rated bags I will still be able to tow easily?

What would the price diff be between a four bar vs airoverleaf?

Again gents... This is what makes this board a great source of info without all the BS I have seen on some other boards.

Regards,

Stacey
Old 10-10-2004, 05:06 PM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The ARK3002 is the 3000 lb. kit w/sideframe upper and 2.5" wide leaf lower bracketry. It lists for $275.00

The ARS14500 is the 3000lb w/ parallel 4 link kit. It lists for $799.00

The overleaf kit doesn't come with shocks or shock brackets so you need to factor that in as well. I couldn't find it listed, but I think brackets and shocks list for $75.00

So there is roughly a $450.00 difference....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:13 PM   #6
72MARIO

That kit looks like what Should get for my 67. Do you have a number for that company ?
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:53 AM   #7
Staceydude

I think the website address is

www.ridetech.com

There should be a number there or do a google search under Air Ride Technologies

Regards

Stacey