The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2023, 05:32 PM   #1
tdishon

2023 Windshield suppliers

Bought some glass from AutoCity. Windshield fit was horrible. Anyone know of a good supplier? May have to go polycarbonate for a good fit.
Any direction would be great. Steele rubber seems to be good rubber.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:15 PM   #2
vintovka

Re: 2023 Windshield suppliers

Last one came from Classic as did the seal both seem ok.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:44 PM   #3
NWA58

Hate to say it but the windshield fit should be checked long before getting too far into body work. Got my glass from Auto City also and had to rework the cab with many hours of porta power and twisting to get things back to square. My truck had apparently taken a hit to the left front corner that pushed the firewall back enough that it twisted the posts at the windshield. If the glass doesn’t fit, I’d check the entire cab for square. If I had it to over again, I would have used a different cab entirely.

I will add also that the rear glass seal that AutoCity sent was not even close. I ended up throwing it in the trash. Picked up a Precision brand seal and it was perfect. Just installed Precision door seals and the doors stop 4 inches short of the latch. Ordered Steele’s “thinner” seals today and will pull the Precision door rubber off.

Also scrapped the one piece window glass from AutoCity because it was cut very differently than what actually worked. I would bet the windshield is going to be constant no matter where you buy it. Nearly 70 years on the metal structure in these trucks is going to see more variance than the glass.

Good luck!

Last edited by NWA58; 09-01-2023 at 09:53 PM.
NWA58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:11 PM   #4
NWA58

Before and after. My roof was junk. Found major damage when we pulled the skin and put a new one on with the AutoCity glass there for trial fit.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2023, 10:25 PM   #5
NWA58

The final fit using the AutoCity glass is very good. The passenger side had about a 1” gap at the lower corner when I pulled the original glass out, so I knew it was going to be an issue.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2023, 11:59 PM   #6
mr48chev

I'd check around with the local car guys and find out what the greater Phoenix area go to for older rigs glass shop is. I'm all for doing as much of your own work as you can but hate putting in windshields.

At the cost of shipping windshields you probably are going to be pretty close on price with a local shop when you count the price of the windshield and shipping.

If you are up to a 3 hour 200 mile one way road trip to Lake Havasu Premirer street Rods says they have them .https://www.premierstreetrod.com/det...indshield.html

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
tdishon

The original windshield was in it and fit pretty good. It was in bad shape(not broken, but lamination issue and big chips). So we pulled it and the Auto City leaves a gap in the corner. If this is the case, polycarbonate it is. Steele rubber is nice stuff tho...
Old 09-22-2023, 09:28 AM   #8
JoeDude

First bought mine from AMD. I could not get it to fit. They were great to refund without shipping back. They told me to just break it and show them the picture. I next tried Auto City. The vertical dimension was the same...too big. I am trying to get a pro to figure out how to get it installed. Right now, the suspect problem is the weatherstripping I got from Precision. Auto City states that they sell 100's without issues.