The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2023, 09:36 PM   #1
Kevin_C

what are you using for a windshield wiper bottle?

So I started installing my newport engineering wiper kit which got me thinking about wiper reservoirs. looking at a lot of engine bays people are either good at hiding them or not running them all together. I'm trying to keep my engine bay clean. the only thing I currently have planned for the firewall is the catch can setup. let me see what your running.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2023, 11:59 PM   #2
leegreen

Re: what are you using for a windshield wiper bottle?

my functional rather than clean firewall, plastic washer bottle off amazon with integral 90's civic style pump. The clear fishtank tubing it came with stuck out like a sore thumb when I installed it, but now I don't even notice it when I pop the hood

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  31.6 KB
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:00 AM   #3
dsraven

do you have the wiper pivots with the squirt nozzle built in or will you use a different squirt nozzle that gets mounted on the wiper arm or hood etc? I ask because the original nozzle that came with the task force trucks and is part of the pivot has the hose connection inside the truck cab if i remember correctly. that way your washer bottle could be placed in the cab out of sight.
some vehicles mount the washer reservoir behind an inner fender with a simple fill spout sticking through the inner fender under the hood. my wife's audi is like that. you could fab a reswervoir from abs or pvc plumbing pipe and have it mount behind the inner fender and nobody would see it unless the truck were on a hoist, the pipe would take a rock thrown from a tire etc without a problem I would think, the fill could be a small cap near the rad support
cat makes a decent looking nozzle that attaches to the wiper arm if that interests you
https://parts.cat.com/en/finningca/1...QaAuIIEALw_wcB
or you could do what ogre does and not have wipers, just use rainx.
I'm not there yet but will use wipers but I have the original pivots with built in nozzles. my washer reservoir will likely be under the hood if I can find room. under my hood is packed with stuff. not a show truck so not worried about that. lol.
LG, I like your functional but clean and tidy looking engine bay.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 09:53 AM   #4
vintovka

Used a set up like Legreens in the 54. Tried a junk yard one but pump gave out fast.
The aftermarket works fine with hood mounted squirters. May caution that placing it where its easy to refill may be a consideration unless you like spilling half of it. Also i plan to wire the squirters to the high switch on the wipers with a better momentary switch. Would be nice to connect them up to the GM tilt column stalk but those days have passed.
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 11:30 AM   #5
_Ogre

Rain-X is what i run...

36,000 miles on truk since the rebuild, without wiper arms

obviously i have no problem driving in the rain either, i removed
pic was grabbed off the mothers.com website after the 2011 HRPT
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:42 PM   #6
Kevin_C

Thanks guys. I have been trying to stay away from the white bottles but they are economical. I plan on running my AC lines on the passenger wheel side so maybe I could do something on the driver side. I've considered this one for the driver side to kinda match the catch can but I wish the mount was 90 off so the pump and wires weren't facing right at you if you if I firewall mount.

https://www.chasebays.com/products/c...cooler-sprayer

Ogre I hear ya with the rain X. Your hot rod power tour sticker made me laugh. I haven't gone since there was an east coast/west coast. Did 4400 miles on my last one. hope to do another some day.

Dsraven I bought the original style. I tell ya between the vintage air, 3 computers and center console that cab is getting pretty full and my body just laughs at me when I try to get my head under the dash.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:38 AM   #7
leegreen

that chasebays tank could have been nice if they did not mount a honda pump to the side of it!

I considered this and may do it in future if I ever want that firewall to be dressier:
Trico style universal pump that has 1 hose in and 1 hose out
1 or 2 litre spun aluminum water bottle or thermos in color of choice.
bulkhead hose barb fitting mounted to bottom of bottle (where you can get socket on it to tighten from inside)
vent hole drilled in cap
simple bracket to mount that also hides the pump
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:00 AM   #8
dsraven

I hear ya with the laughing body thing. yesterday I went to change the cabin air filter on my daughters nissan rogue. well, it's down low on the center console where your feet wouldn't even touch if you were a tall guy. the hole is small so you gotta flex the filter to get it in, AND I don't flex that good. better than my daughter though so not feeling too bad. she couldn't get it in so I had to. haha
great idea with the spun aluminum water bottle. maybe a bike water bottle holder to mount the bottle into. that makes it easy to pull out and refill with no mess. mod the filler cap to accept a hose and a vent-done deal.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:59 AM   #9
mr48chev

On yours, what about a matching overflow tank on the other side of the radiator The hose could be hidden.

The pump might have to work a tad harder to pull the fluid and you might have to fill it more often but it will hide in plain sight and be easy to access.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...tank+&_sacat=0

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 10:22 AM   #10
vintovka

Not sure if mentioned earlier but some of the nozzles can be adjusted to precisely direct spray up down left right and some even the width and pattern. A small pin or needle is used to make adjustments.
Old 08-31-2023, 11:17 AM   #11
jwilson645

To make the white/clear tank a little more hidden, why not paint it black? Sure you'd have to open to check the level but it wouldn't stand out so much.
jwilson645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:20 AM   #12
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson645 View Post
To make the white/clear tank a little more hidden, why not paint it black? Sure you'd have to open to check the level but it wouldn't stand out so much.
this
Old 08-31-2023, 12:02 PM   #13
dsraven

run a strip of pinstripe type tape down the side and then paint it, after remove the tape and you will have a window to see the level. like an oil container, not great visibility but better than always taking the lid off
Old 08-31-2023, 12:09 PM   #14
vintovka

DSraven you stole my idea faster than i could type it!! Also a dipstick like some new cars might be handy. The problem of refilling some in awkward places might be solved with a dedicated gallon jug with a flexible spout. Have one for winter and summer as we go thru lots of washer fluid here on coast with 24 hour ocean spray/mist/rain and seagull gifting.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:10 PM   #15
dsraven

I've used the krylon spray bomb paint for plastics and it seems to stick pretty well. maybe not pressure washer well, but normal use it stays put.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:25 PM   #16
jwilson645

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
run a strip of pinstripe type tape down the side and then paint it, after remove the tape and you will have a window to see the level. Like an oil container, not great visibility but better than always taking the lid off
great idea!
jwilson645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 10:50 PM   #17
Kevin_C

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had thought about putting something up front but my air filter takes up most of the right side but I may be able to fit another beside my overflow tank and just put a label on the lid.. I was looking through my box of stuff an realized I had ordered a pump when I ordered my kit which happens to be in-line with mounts. I'm consider running something like these expansion tanks. I would just need to plug one of the holes and drill a vent hole, but that would allow me to put the pump and wiring either on the wheel side or under the dash out of site.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14519899075...Bk9SR9qQw7TKYg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28524083658...Bk9SR7rmnLzKYg
Old 09-03-2023, 08:56 PM   #18
Kevin_C

Well I figured its cheap enough to give it a shot. $20 for the tank, $5 for 15' of washer hose. Next day delivery. I just got it resting there for now but I think I like the look. Will either do a decal or have the cap engraved.
Attached Images