The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2023, 10:38 AM   #26
dsraven

Re: Issues with rear brakes

good to hear you got it fixed. are you able to drive it now and enjoy or is it a work in progress?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #27
jeffs56

Well it is driveable but we noticed I have a driveline issue. I have a 700r4 with a short shaft and they put in a long yolk. It’s sticking out of the transmission 2 7/8 inches. I’m assuming that’s what’s causing my rattling sound at 2500 RPM when it’s shifting. So I have to lengthen the driveline about 2 inches
Attached Images

jeffs56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:10 AM   #28
dsraven

wowzers, it sure seems like you have had a lot of issues for a truck that was put together at a shop. was it a professional shop that has experience with building?
I suggest to take the truck to a proffessional driveline shop where they do driveshafts as a full time business. messing around trying to find a shaft from a donor vehicle, when you don't really know what you are doing, could just cause you more headache. get it done by a pro and sell off the old shaft when you're done.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:16 AM   #29
dsraven

also have the shop check the tail housing bushing, that holds the yoke steady, and replace the output seal.
the driveline shop may use your old shaft as a donor for the weld on tube yokes for the ujoints but have them price it out with new stuff just so you know. it may be better to use the old yokes simply because a used shaft isn't gonna bring you much cash if you can sell it. maybe better to sacrifice the used shaft as a donor for the yokes. make sure to test drive it before you hand over any cash so you know it's right before you leave. I usually tell the shop that does work for me that if they didn't test drive it at highway speeds then don't call me yet to say it's ready to pick up. test drive, check for leaks after, then call me when it's complete.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:23 AM   #30
jeffs56

Yes the shop is good. They do a bunch of hot rods. He said he would take care of the problems. This is a brand new built driveline that was done by a driveline shop, not the shop building the truck so I’m thinking the driveline shop didn’t get it right. Im going to take it to a local driveline shop tomorrow and see what they say. The bushing needs to be replaced as well. That’s where my transmission leak was going from lol
Old 09-17-2023, 11:32 AM   #31
dsraven

since the build shop is 2 hrs away, and the pro shop that did the set up in the first place let it go like this (wrong, so you don't really want them doing it again and again), I would say talk to the hotrod shop that did the build (and sublet the driveshaft) and see if they will simply cover the cost of getting it fixed at a local shop. it's your time and gas money he is playing with, as well as his name in the business, so he should jump on that like a fat kid on a burger. it costs him cash, yes, but also stops a come back to him if it has further issues with that item of the build. he may be able to pay for the job directly/remotely but make sure you get a copy of the invoice in case there are further problems.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:39 AM   #32
jeffs56

Yes he will definitely take care of it. He said he would come pick the truck up and take it back and get that fixed. So definitely have options. Just working out all the kinks lol. But I’m definitely going to see what the local shop says and forward that information to him