The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2024, 12:22 PM   #51
TotallyHucked

Re: Huck's 85 GMC shorty

All done. We decided to put some logos on to show off at shows as well

Name:  IMG_4009.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  AMD bedfloor logo.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  105.9 KB

And it was also right around this time that I backed into a pole Was backing into a spot at lunch one day and this lady in a POS Altima that all beat to hell is speeding through the lot, up my isle, not yielding to me at all. So I goosed it to get out of her way, not realizing I was in a spot where there was one of those light poles with the giant concrete base. BAM. Thankfully, it only got the bumper. The new bumper had been on maybe 6mo at this point. Sigh.

Name:  IMG_4004.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  42.7 KB

It was also around this time that I discovered that my very expensive United Pacific LED/sequential tail lights had shattered. These were only on there ~6 weeks at this point. That turned into a nightmare. I'd ordered through Summit Racing, so I went through them for a replacement. At this point, they were on national backorder, so I had to wait for replacements. This was July of '21 and they predicted it would be Jan/Feb of '22 before they got more. So I taped these up with packing tape and waited.

Name:  IMG_9313.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9315.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  60.8 KB

I'll go ahead and fast forward this little bit of the story. Jan '22 rolls around, I hear nothing. So I contact Summit in Feb and they tell me it'll be March. Then we got busy and I forgot about it. June of '22 rolls around and I realize I hadn't heard anything so I contact them again. They'd closed my claim without reaching out to me! Needless to say I'm pissed at this point But the rep I was dealing with this time got me taken care of and got a new set sent out 2 days later. So I install the new ones, take pictures of the whole process and send the old ones back.

The truck hardly moves for 4mo, it was down with failed power windows (one up and one down) and a leaking water pump. Get all that fixed and on the first trip, they shatter again. Contact Summit again and every rep I talk to is an arrogant a$$ so I say F you guys, I'm going to Dino's Git Down in November anyway so I'll talk to UP directly. So again, I tape them up.
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
TotallyHucked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 12:34 PM   #52
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

huck.. thanks for the reply. I have the same fuel setup (minus the Whalbro pump(s). I have purchased a wix (real wix) new FP/reg. (still need to install) to see if (hopefully) that "fixes" my FP issue?? I thought that you indicated that you worked or was associated with AMD (a very cool co. too) I probably saw you at Dino's... I did stop by the booth.
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:18 PM   #53
TotallyHucked

Here they are, fresh out the package

Name:  IMG_9546.jpg
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9549.jpg
Size:  56.3 KB

So like I said, I taped them back up to mostly keep water out but mainly to keep pieces from falling off and making things worse.

We get to Dino's Git Down in Glendale, AZ and I talk to their R&D guy directly (one of my coworkers knows him and told him I'd be coming to see him). I explain the issue and let him know that I do R&D for AMD and would like to help resolve the issue and get a good replacement set. I'm not out to make anyone look bad, I just want to help. At this point, I haven't posted anything about it anywhere and had not spoken poorly of UP at all. Anyone that mentioned my lights, I just told them it must've been a fluke and I was waiting on a replacement set. No big deal.

Dude at UP gives me his card and tells me to shoot him an email with all of the details and pictures, shakes my hand and thanks me and we're on our way. Get back home from Dino's and decide to measure different aspects of these lights vs some good originals we have at work. I found the issue, the arch of their lens is wrong, it's spread out too far.

So I email him my story, pictures and findings. Got crickets. Absolutely nothing. Emailed a couple times, tried to call. Nothing. So I started posting about it and tagging them on social media. Still nothing. So now I've gotta figure out who's lights I'm gonna try next. Still running around with the taped up UP's because they're still brighter than OE replacements.

Name:  Pass tail light.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  Drivers tail light.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  56.9 KB
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
Old 01-29-2024, 01:38 PM   #54
TotallyHucked

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
huck.. thanks for the reply. I have the same fuel setup (minus the Whalbro pump(s). I have purchased a wix (real wix) new FP/reg. (still need to install) to see if (hopefully) that "fixes" my FP issue?? I thought that you indicated that you worked or was associated with AMD (a very cool co. too) I probably saw you at Dino's... I did stop by the booth.
Yessir, I've been with AMD going on 11yrs now. I was the guy with the long red beard in the straw hat lol
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
Old 01-29-2024, 03:29 PM   #55
TotallyHucked

Like I said in part of my tail light story, the truck was down for a while with dead windows and a leaking water pump. I was in the middle of trying to get the AC to work when I blew a line and said F-it, it'll go to SETN without it. Got all loaded up, was backing out of the shop and realized one window was stuck down and the other up. So I parked it for a while.

Bit the bullet and ordered up one of NuRelic's power window kits. These replace the motors, wiring and regulators. The only thing that stays is the OE tracks. They're not cheap, but well worth it over messing with junk parts store motors and whatnot.

Name:  IMG_1733.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1737.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1750.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1747.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1744.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  51.7 KB
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
Old 01-29-2024, 05:53 PM   #56
TotallyHucked

Started by taping the windows up and removing the door panel

Name:  IMG_1752.jpg
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1751.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  60.6 KB

Then taking out the bolts for the stock regulator

Name:  IMG_1755.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1754.jpg
Size:  63.2 KB

And maneuvering it out of the door

Name:  IMG_1756.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  61.0 KB
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
Old 01-29-2024, 05:56 PM   #57
TotallyHucked

Then started pulling out all the factory wiring and the LMC heavy duty harness that I'd added prior

Name:  IMG_1760.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1761.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  62.6 KB

Once I had the old wiring out, I replaced the original switches with the new ones. I just got their OE replacements, they do offer nicer metal switches but they were quite a bit more money

Name:  IMG_1767.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1765.jpg
Size:  54.9 KB

Next we add some lube...

Name:  IMG_1768.jpg
Size:  60.0 KB
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
Old 01-29-2024, 06:03 PM   #58
TotallyHucked

Getting the initial wiring fed through and mocking up the new regulator. Thats roughly how it'll fit inside the door

Name:  IMG_1772.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  56.8 KB

Their new harness and getting it through the door/kick panel

Name:  IMG_1763.jpg
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1774.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  60.1 KB

Laying it out to plan for the pass side

Name:  IMG_1784.jpg
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1781.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  70.1 KB
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
Old 01-30-2024, 11:48 AM   #59
TotallyHucked

I took better pictures on the passenger side, I used the driver's side to figure out the process

Name:  IMG_1788.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  61.8 KB

You have drill 2 holes to mount the regulator/motor combo

Name:  IMG_1799.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  56.4 KB

The only thing I don't care for is the motor is just hanging out down at the bottom. You can feel/hear it shake every time you shut the door. I think I'm going to make a small bracket to attach that somehow

Name:  IMG_1796.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  80.2 KB

Threw the support rods back in and door panels on, hooked up the wires and good to go

Name:  IMG_1823.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1824.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  52.3 KB

These things are awesome. Before, the truck needed to be running to get the windows all the way up. With the key off, forget it. And either way, I had to help the driver's side. Now they work like a modern car! If you just have the key on, they work quickly and quietly. With the engine running, you could chop a finger off. I highly recommend this kit
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
Old 01-30-2024, 12:20 PM   #60
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyHucked View Post
Yessir, I've been with AMD going on 11yrs now. I was the guy with the long red beard in the straw hat lol
... yuuuppp... I remember seeing you I am sorry to hear the misadventures with UP, I "kinda" had a similar situation as well. they were offering a show discount (Dino's) and I was trying to purchase a set of door handles... the rep set me up & when I went to check out they only had one door handle available! they were trying to get me to pay for both & the would ship the other one on monday... I was like "nope!" that will just turn into a fluster cluck, so I asked if the sale price could be applied online too? they said yes. I get home and proceeded to buy the handles at the discounted price (shown on site). when I received the email (on monday) of the order the total DID NOT include the discounted price. I eventually called & got the OG show deal, but it took a couple of calls monday and some frustration on my end. it was my first purchase with them. I won't say they are bad dealers, but the costumer support and communication between depts is for sure lacking. anyways enough bashing, not meant to be. I am glad that you got the window situation figured out... you are right though.. the kit is pricey! ... I too just "went thru" a factory refresh on my windows too & they do lack modern power and speed!! thanks for sharing
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:27 PM   #61
hewittca

Nice work on this one! I love the painted underside of the cab. it really makes everything look so clean. That's one thing I should have done when I had my cab off.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:34 AM   #62
TotallyHucked

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
Nice work on this one! I love the painted underside of the cab. it really makes everything look so clean. That's one thing I should have done when I had my cab off.
Thanks man! That was something I knew I'd do while everything was out. I've seen it done on TV and in person and it makes the bottom side look so good and easy to maintain. Other than a few spots where I've scratched it with tools or the transmission, it still looks great, even after 3yrs and 35k miles
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
Old 02-16-2024, 01:46 PM   #63
TotallyHucked

Picking up from the NuRelics install, it was around this time that we hired a new marketing guy. He has connects all over the place and wanted to use my truck, his '59 and our marketing director's '66 C10s as in-house builds.

We started talking ultimate goals for my truck. I told him the goal the whole time has been a true Pro Touring build. Horsepower, a manual trans, full coilover suspension/chassis, Forgeline or similar wheels but full interior/AC/sound system/comforts. Not full on race truck. So he started reaching out to see who we could get on board. But first, I needed to get a rendering done. Cue Rendered Rides

I got on Forgeline's website to pick out some wheels. Decided on these web style ones, then get him to render them in light and dark grey

Name:  GA3C.Open_.Lug_.Frozen.Charcoal-1-768x640.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  Render 5.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  Render 7.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  24.1 KB

Settled on the lighter grey cuz it pops better and ties in with the bright trim on the truck

Name:  Final render 5.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  Final render 6.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  41.9 KB
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
Old 02-16-2024, 02:01 PM   #64
TotallyHucked

Like I mentioned earlier, the truck was down with a failed water pump while I did the NuRelics install. I took that opportunity to change over to an L99 Camaro pump instead of the truck pump. That gains me a much cleaner upper hose routing and makes the engine bay look much better.

I never did take a good picture without the CAI in the way, but you can see my cheap Ebay CAI here and that ridiculous upper hose for an NBS truck.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  90.3 KB

You can see where the truck water pump spout comes out, that's why that long upper hose is needed

Name:  2.jpg
Size:  67.4 KB

Fresh L99 Camaro pump

Name:  3.jpg
Size:  69.8 KB

So first thing was stripping off the front accessories. Part of this process will be modifying the alternator/PS bracket to make way for the spout and ICT idler relocation kit

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  63.5 KB
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
Old 02-16-2024, 04:35 PM   #65
TotallyHucked

Gotta cut an ear off that PS/Alt bracket

Name:  IMG_9478.jpg
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9479.jpg
Size:  52.4 KB

Then just grind it smooth

Name:  IMG_9480.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  55.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9481.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  68.2 KB

Water pump test fit

Name:  IMG_9483.jpg
Size:  77.2 KB
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags
Old 02-16-2024, 04:43 PM   #66
TotallyHucked

That spout is the reason for the trim and the ICT idler relocation

Name:  IMG_9484.jpg
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9487.jpg
Size:  81.7 KB

While I was there, I finally built a new CAI out of some leftover 4" diesel exhaust tubing I had

Name:  Intake tube.jpg
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  Intake tube 4.jpg
Size:  72.4 KB

Ended up painting it blue but regretted that. I'll prob repaint it black, just looks goofy with the couplers and so little metal showing

Name:  Intake tube 6.jpg
Size:  72.3 KB
Walker Tuned
5/8 drop
US Mags